"A Little Bit of Patter & Poker Blind" From By Forces Unseen

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
I generally quite liked your video although there are a few issues I would personally address if I were using a routine such as this. You are acting as the role of a mechanic therefore it would be wise to reduce the amount of flourishes, I understand that the routine is based on proving skill but in an actual gambling environment there would be to much suspicions attention upon you.

Now this assumption could be wrong if you are playing the role of 'a magician educating participants into cheating history'. If this the case then flourish away and display your prestidigitation skill to the audience. If you want to take the role of 'card cheat' then it would be best to handle the cards as if you were unskilled.

Also I wanted to ask do you split this routine up into smaller section when you perform it although I have an interest in this sort of subject some participants may become bored and walk away. One of the reasons I say this is because in parts of your performance you found it hard to concentrate upon the presentation as the sleight of hand you were attempting was very complex as a result there were some dead spots and the general rhythm was lost. May I ask how long you have been working in this for?

Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the response. All very good suggestions and I'll take them to heart. I agree 100% about the potential of "boring" the spectators. I really started this as a personal challenge to string together two of the more difficult routines in Earick's book. I like the skeleton of this routine but agree that I need to clean up the patter a lot (as well as work on some of these sleights of course.) As for how long, I started "Poker Blind" about a month ago and added "A Little Bit Of Patter" a few weeks back. In fact, I'm really quite new to gambling demos. In figure making this routine look good will take a few more months, perfecting it could take a year lol. I mostly posted in the hopes that I could avoid some pitfalls if anyone saw anything I was doing that would cause me problems down the road.

As for the flourishes, for now I'll keep them and be the "magician educating the public." Eventually I'll weed them out but right now two things. One, I have yet to learn a really good tabled double undercut so I am relying on "Death to the Double Undercut." It is kind of flourishy so other flourishy cuts in the routine keep it from standing out to much. Two, I can't stand starting a routine and going straight into a stacked deck. This way I opened with the "cull cutting sequence"(which I have never actually heard of as a real gambling move) and in the action of pretending to "ring in the cooler" I pass the stack into position. As soon as I learn a decent tabled deck switch I will actually pass out the deck for shuffling and actually ring in the cooler!

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
I'm glad I was of help, it seems that you have everything sorted. I will wish you the best although I have one final word for you which has personally helped me in gambling demo situations. If you decide to perform this for participant have a couple of pseudo methods under your belt it will pay dividends.

Feb 4, 2008
HaHa....Totally planning that! In fact I don't even mention my bottom deal yet because my bottom deal sucks and I don't want to draw attention to it. Thanks for all the insights. Cheers!

Feb 4, 2008
Here is some more work on this routine. Pardon the fact that it is couched in a card review. I haven't worked much on "Little Bit of patter" but I have been working poker blind quite hard lately.

http://vimeo.com/19883667

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results