How To Study?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have decided there are a few books I would like to study and really work through. Unfortunately, I will be getting them all at once and won't be able to get them all at the same time.

Seriously Silly - I want to do kids shows!
Strong Magic - I really want to go from doing "tricks" to performing
The Paper Engine - I seriously want to up my card magic!

So how would you guys suggest I go about studying these?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Strong magic you can read , take notes on points on paper.

With effects from books/DVDs. Go through one effect at a time. And this goes for anything. Don't move on till you've put endless hours into ONE effect. And you've performed it live enough times. That's my advice.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have decided there are a few books I would like to study and really work through. Unfortunately, I will be getting them all at once and won't be able to get them all at the same time.

As Blindside said, read Strong Magic chapter by chapter and take notes on what is being said. I would add that you should think about how it applies to you and take notes on that. Just reading Strong Magic won't make you a better magician... you have to apply it. I would assume the same is true with Seriously Silly... you have to read it, understand it and apply it.

For the Paper Engine, work through it in order, mastering before moving on.

Strong magic you can read , take notes on points on paper.

With effects from books/DVDs. Go through one effect at a time. And this goes for anything. Don't move on till you've put endless hours into ONE effect. And you've performed it live enough times. That's my advice.

Well said Blindside, I was just about to say the same thing. There's one other book that you might want to consider looking into, it really helped me out tremendously with all sorts of questions about how I wanted to try and take my magic to the next level.

The book is "David Stone Close Up - the Real Secrets of Magic" by David Stone, obviously heh. I read Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz and it's a very informative book, however, David Stone's book seemed to really answer all of the big questions I had, as well as other tiny ones that I never knew I was looking for until it just clicked with his book. So I hope some of my advice can help you out as well.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
An example from experience. I've been doing the same set, working with presentation and patter that doesn't work for a few tricks for months.

Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Stairway
Dr. Daley's
Invisible Palm

I was doing this at a live gig, at a Halloween party while tipsy, on my break at work. I still haven't perfect these and I'm still going on to try to get them to PERFECT which will be never..because nothing is ever perfect. But we can strive to perfection and keep trying. NEVER stop doing!

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
If you get strong magic, I suggest getting Designing Miracles as well. Both fantastic books that will help you out, if you apply them. Also, While your reading through, I would suggest if you don't know some of the tricks he uses in his examples to look them up so you know what hes talking about before moving on. Read through, highlight, and take notes on paper.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris

check out michael vincent dvds , awesome, and he tells you what to read (ex: royal road to card magic, erdnase, etc...)
serioulsy silly , i have the dvd, it's very good , but he doesn't go in depth with the tricks because it's commercial items, more on presentation , etc
if you do strolling magic, the step system (two dvds) are great

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
check out michael vincent dvds , awesome, and he tells you what to read (ex: royal road to card magic, erdnase, etc...)
serioulsy silly , i have the dvd, it's very good , but he doesn't go in depth with the tricks because it's commercial items, more on presentation , etc
if you do strolling magic, the step system (two dvds) are great

I wouldn't recomend Michael Vincents DVD's, his stuff is meant for people who have some experience with cards and are usually in the intermedaite to upper level of skill.

I am going to do what most here haven't done. What books/DVD do you ALREADY own? And are you able to actually perform the effects on them, without having to think about the moves or burn your hands? This is crucial, because in the long run if you keep buying new stuff and not focusing on actually getting better at what you have. You are going to crumble. You need to have a good solid foundation, before you can think about buying something new. This will help you out imensley in the long run. You know all those guys like Aaron Fisher, Wayne Houchin and even Mike Ammar. They didn't get to where they are now, by buying new products each month because it looked cool. They got to where they are, by first having a solid foundation for their skills and THEN later maybe adding new stuff to their library.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
As far as DVD's go, I have Hardcore, De'ring (I don't perform this one), Bigger Finish, Smashed, Dough, FIVE, and Genesis v1.

I also own Bobo's Coin Magic, 13 Steps to Mentalism (I don't use this. I'm not into mentalism), and Mark Wilson's Complete Course.

I used to have a lot more, but I sold it all when I got out of magic. I also perform a lot more card tricks that I remember from stuff I used to have like the Biddle Trick. Also, I bought and perform and LOVE Con Cam Coincidencia! I have a pretty solid amount of tricks, maybe 15 or so.

Also, I am not a beginner! I have been in this for about 3 years, and perform a lot!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
No two people learn the same way, two people can have similar styles and do the same things in parts of their studies, but overall everyone learns differently. You should take everyone's advice and figure out which of the methods works best for you.

My best notes are written down in the margins of the books I've bought. If I try to write them in a notebook they are, on the whole, less helpful. When I have a new idea for a trick I usually draw crude pictures with messy descriptions on napkins and scrap paper. These eventually end up taped into my notebook with slightly more refined descriptions and references to where the techniques can be found if I forget them or feel the need for reference.

My scripts are 90% in my head. I can't write out everything I say, I usually have the basic idea and a few lines in my head that I want to say (and when I'm going to say them) and the rest is usually based on the audience. Many magicians prefer to have no script at all (bad idea really) and a lot of professionals use full scripts for their tricks.

I don't have an answer. One at a time is about as much as I can tell you, and for all I know that's not the best way for you to learn. Maybe you're the one guy who can read three books at once and get a lot out of it. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm thinking to make it easier on myself, I may do away with Seriously Silly. Kids magic seems fun but you have to have A LOT of participation and A LOT of audience management. I think that is better for me to look at later down the road. I want to get gigs doing what I do now.

I may just stick with Strong Magic and The Paper Engine. Heck I may just get Strong Magic. I am starting to grow away from cards. I love them, don't get me wrong, and I will always perform with them, but I would rather be able to do magic with almost anything besides cards. Even if I have to pull out some Walking Liberties. If I am at dinner and people want to see magic, I should be able to take the rubber bands off my wrist, grab some straws, borrow a ring and some quarters, maybe incorporate the rolls or chips and be able to make a show out of just that and never have to touch cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results