Go ahead and tell me what you think of it...

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YLwEbLy4Bs

So yeah, I had originally made this for the SNC last weekend with the playing card advertisement. I didn't wan't to really do any big flashy flourishes, because I wanted it to kind of be like an advertisement. And yes, it is nothing like what I really wanted it to end up like, but I still think it came out pretty good, looking at these factors:
-I made it in 2 hours.
-My computer is a piece of crap and won't even play HD videos on it... So I kinda had to edit it based on the frames of the videos... So sorry how some of the clips had some extra unnecessary seconds in it.
-Youtube will not take 720p with 60 fps, so it automatically does some weird downgrading and changes it to 420p. It's still pretty good.

So I want you guys to please critique me on anything you want, but mostly my editing. I know I was hoping to have words in some of the black breaks, like "smooth" or "elegant" or some other nonsense...

So yeah. Critique. on my editing. Since there wasn't much technical skill in this video for the cardistry and stuff, (although I really liked the effect of the pop-out card at the end), just critique...

Jul 27, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I think its good. I like how the box hits the floor in slow motion and then the music gets faster as you start doing flourishes. One bad thing about the card box drop is you tossed it to the side, but it drops straight down in the next shot. Still good.

Jun 10, 2010
How do you make the card pop out instantly for the pop-out move? Mine's slow and somewhat noisy, you can see how it pops out.. :(

Nice giant fan, by the way. Faro took awhile though..

Sep 1, 2007
Thoughts as they occur to me. You all know the drill by now.

0:01 - Lighting's weird in that shot. Was there a purpose to that?
0:03 - Too quick and I'm not sure what it was supposed to accomplish.
0:06 - Could have tightened up the sound there. Audiovisual cues are knacky at first, but timing is everything.
0:14 - Waited too long for the drop.
0:19 - I would have gone with a slower fan close to maintain the sense of pacing seen so far.
0:26 - Especially since you did the spring in slow motion. Also, that could have been framed better. Tighten up the composition, though the use of a vertical motif in the background was nice. Good call on that one.
0:28 - The shot with the card spring ended just a bit too late. Also, with no title cards in the slugs, I would just do away with them.
0:33 - That shot didn't do anything for me. Cut it.
0:37 - Trim a little off the beginning of the shot with the giant fan and I can get behind that one.
0:45 - That shot was actually pretty tight. Just enough space at the beginning and end to let us process everything.
0:48 - You need better framing for that shot. Not enough space to accurately catch all the movement. Also, I think you left auto-focus on because it blurred out a couple times.
0:57 - That last one wasn't bad. Could have used just a smidge more time at the beginning of the shot, but passable.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I think its good. I like how the box hits the floor in slow motion and then the music gets faster as you start doing flourishes. One bad thing about the card box drop is you tossed it to the side, but it drops straight down in the next shot. Still good.
How do you make the card pop out instantly for the pop-out move? Mine's slow and somewhat noisy, you can see how it pops out.. :(

Nice giant fan, by the way. Faro took awhile though..
Yeah, that thing was REALLY giant and quite smooth!

Thanks!
Saborfang: For me it is pretty easy... Just do it fast. The faster you do it the better it looks. But if you go too fast, the card will just fly out... That happens to me sometimes...
And yeah, I know the faro wasn't really good but I was short on time...

You should have trimmed down some of the clips. Like with the card box falling there was a big pause before we saw anything, and that messed with the continuity.

Yeah. I know that some of the clips were too long, as I said in my original post. My computer sucks, and I can't even play the HD videos on it... So that made editing way harder. I had to cut the clips according to the frame that i was looking at... If I tried playing the vids, it would just show tons of frames...

Thoughts as they occur to me. You all know the drill by now.

0:01 - Lighting's weird in that shot. Was there a purpose to that?
0:03 - Too quick and I'm not sure what it was supposed to accomplish.
0:06 - Could have tightened up the sound there. Audiovisual cues are knacky at first, but timing is everything.
0:14 - Waited too long for the drop.
0:19 - I would have gone with a slower fan close to maintain the sense of pacing seen so far.
0:26 - Especially since you did the spring in slow motion. Also, that could have been framed better. Tighten up the composition, though the use of a vertical motif in the background was nice. Good call on that one.
0:28 - The shot with the card spring ended just a bit too late. Also, with no title cards in the slugs, I would just do away with them.
0:33 - That shot didn't do anything for me. Cut it.
0:37 - Trim a little off the beginning of the shot with the giant fan and I can get behind that one.
0:45 - That shot was actually pretty tight. Just enough space at the beginning and end to let us process everything.
0:48 - You need better framing for that shot. Not enough space to accurately catch all the movement. Also, I think you left auto-focus on because it blurred out a couple times.
0:57 - That last one wasn't bad. Could have used just a smidge more time at the beginning of the shot, but passable.

Thanks for all the advice. Like I mentioned earlier, I had trouble trimming down the clips and playing with the timing. And yeah, the faro was kinda pointless...

Rupayan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results