A Rant

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
To be more precise on what Will said, Perfect Practice makes perfect. You can practice till the cows come home, but if you are doing some improperly with poor technique. Then all that practice isn't going to fix it, it'll still look like ass.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Would you care to elaborate on the differences here? Surely imperfect rehearsal leads to the same thing? One might also argue that practice and rehearsal could be considered the same thing in this context.

I'd be interested in your opinion.

Rabid
Rabid:

I won't speak for Draven, but I think practice and rehersal are two different things.

Practice is going through the techniques, sleights and moves necessary to accomplish an effect and thereby commiting those moves to muscle memory. When practicing, you need to be practicing the techniques perfectly, otherwise you commit sloppy handling to muscle memory.

Rehearsal is going through the entire performance including technique (which should be mastered by that stage), patter, staging, misdirection, etc. That way the techniques become natural within the performance. That avoids the say your patter, pause, do your sleight and then continue your patter type of performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2009
I think what this guy is doing is great! He may not be much of a performer but he is using magic for the glory of God! It's not like he's taking the biggest tricks of the day, performing them HORRIBLY, and the revealing them. He's giving pastors and youth pastors some simple inexpensive tricks that mostly appeal to kids that can be used to illustrate some otherwise hard to grasp concepts of the Bible. I think that next time you need to just leave these people alone and try and understand what they are really doing instead of makin fun of their beliefs and the way they act or dress!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Practice DOES make "perfect" PROVIDED you have a solid director/coach helping you get the flaws out of your handling.

Peter Pit showed me this in other acts that we would "review" for the Castle; how you could tell which acts listened to either a very solid and seasoned magician who'd been around a while and knew the biz, or those that were working with a solid theatrical director (both are preferred, actually). Magicians get in their own way because most of them think they are already "perfect" and fail to realize they SUCK... there's not a single act that doesn't benefit from "rehearsal" and then applying what they learn in practice... that's the key.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results