Are we all guilty?

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I will not lie:
I have only ever illeagally downloaded 2 magic effects/dvds. One was Liquid Metal, which I later purchased at full market price, and I now use regularly, and Penguin's ID Coin Matrix.

Oct 21, 2007
Just to get one thing straight about record companys. Yes, record companys are somewhat of a scam in a certain sense, don't go there though. Record companys make the money off of CD's which in turn they forward the money for live shows that are from those CD profits and other things. Bands have to pay back that money back, with the money they get from Ticket sales, band name merchandise, etc etc. Even after the ticket sales, they should easily be able to pay it back, but if it's not a well known band and there are not enough ticket sales, that band goes down the crapper. basically they go indebt.

Record companies need to make a profit as well, the air time they give the band's, The shows they book for them, they do help them with a lot of stuff. The one thing that "urks" me about record companies, is they always want to change the songs when they sound just fine. **shrugs** Bands usually make enough money, but when splitting it all up between the band memebers and there needs for family or whatever they use it for, then no...bleh forget it.

I could go on and on about the pros and cons for this, but it's to much to talk about.

I agree that magicians are in a different world here. There isn't a magician recording company(you know what I mean). They basically have to set out there own gigs. Then again I am not a top TOP magician so I don't know.

All I know is that they both hurt each artist. More so for magicians rather then musicians.

Sep 1, 2007
If I start using an effect, that I have downloaded, I will purchase the DVD as I believe the artist deserves the credit and reward.

Bit of Ethics aswell :p

Alot of effects I will Buy before Downloading though obviously.

Yeah, I think it's ok to download an effect, IF you buy it afterwards.
Also, I think it's ok to download something and not pay for it, if you will never use it.

Blink said:
When I first got into magic, which was less than a year ago I wasnt sure as said above, if it was a long term thing.
But since then, I have spent over 2k on Magic, and intend to spend a lot more.

You're into magic less than a year and you already spent 2,000 USD?!:eek: Woah thats quite a lot!

C

clarrus

I have never used software to d/l magic but I think that's not as bad as youtube. With the software you actually have to know the name of the trick or dvd to do it. I still think it's way wrong.

Music and movies is no big deal, I guess I don't feel too bad when I hear about those companies and the billions of dollars they made. Magic I think is a stuggling art, Actors read lines from script and nowadays the special effects assists mostly in making them look good. Magic is everything done by the artist himself without a big production company behind them.

I am guilty to going to youtube and seeing some tricks, most of them are standard stuff and I do it to see if they do it better than me so I can learn. Also Barry and Stuart are pretty funny. But I saw couple of guys revealing Eillusionist stuff and I thought that was wrong.

I think the best way to fight them is to ignore them. Like if we go around telling people how bad these people are, more people will know about them and go to their sites, we will end up giving them free press.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
- Do you respect magicians over other types of artists?
No I don't. Everyone who offers their creations be it music, paintings, magic and what not is doing so in order to put food on their table and provide for their families. Magic is no different than any other art form to me.

- Have you ever downloaded magic illegally.
No but I don't think anyone is going to actually admit to this if they did. I haven't done it and never intend to do it because if I want something I understand that I need to pay for it. If I can't afford something than I can't get it, it's just that simple.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I am guilty of downloading torrents. I am also guilty of looking at magic tutorials in youtube when I started with cards. But I never use them since a lot of people know how it's done and it's not that great... but most of time I just figure it out by their performances.

Hey, at least I'm being honest.

I already spent enough money on card related things to balance it out... haha maybe not...

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
ill admit it

ive downloaded a ton of magic dvd's...
and before people start slagging me, those who have downloaded 1 movie, 1 song etc, have no right to come in with the "you cheap bastard etc" to me :)

anyhoo, ive found very few dvd's that i would have paid money for and NOT be disappointed
david stone and daniel garcia projects spring to mind

but all these 1 trick dvd's for 30$, i have no problem getting for free...

(this is why im perma banned from Ellusionist...)

now somebody may ask me, "well if you respect your art/creator youll buy it"

umm...no? i respect them yes, i respect led zeppelin, i respect the hard wrok thats gone into magic/music...but im realistic
im not going to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars when i dont NEED to...
its the age we live in

oh btw, theres many people who have replied here saying they havent downlaoded anything, when i know for a fact they do lol...nobody has balls to admit things anymore?

watch me get amazingly slagged

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results