Stage Magic Performance

Nov 8, 2007
Hi there,
I am going to perform a stage magic in the next three weeks. Can some one please give an idea or advice for a successful performance? This is the 2nd time I am going to perform the art and well the last one doesn't seem that good. I am a street magician after all so I don't really know how to perform in front of huge number of peoples (I really mean HUGE! well, its about 100-200 peoples). I really need an advice of what type of magic (props..or whatever) that i should perform. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ehrgeiz

Jan 16, 2010
Ya, just like everyone above me; there is so much you need to explain before we can help you. What is your style; like are you funny and flamboyant? or are you mysterious and dark? what is the age group? how many people? where are you performing; at a school? What do you have related to street magic? Do you have any stage effects from your previous performance?

Try and think of every little aspect of the performace, write it down, then let us know I am sure we can help then.

Nov 8, 2007
Well, basically in my street performance, I do some card tricks, flourishes and sponge ball trick, I also using loop and tarantula by Yigal Mesika for certain tricks. I prefer to be some one funny in each of my performances. About the group of people, well I contacted the person in charge for this party and he told me that roughly they have invited about 100-200 peoples. About the age group, since the party is for everyone, well its a Christmas party actually, I guess you can guess the age group, don't you? So, in my previous performance, well, actually its sucks..I do some card manipulations, sponge ball trick (hell yeah, thanks to Jay Noblezada), loop.. Any other information that I forget?

Thanks in advance,
Ehrgeiz

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
KI'll be honest with you... assuming you are expected to perform for more than five minutes, don't do the show. None of your material is suited for stage, you've done one stage show and it sounds like that didn't go well and you don't have enough time to develop, practice and rehearse a stage show. If it is a Christmas show and kids are there, it is likely that the audience would expect a holiday themed show (which you dont have). If you go ahead with it, you will embarrass yourself as well as the person who agreed to let you perform and give magicians a bad reputation (you may be one of the only magicians these people see).

If you are only doing a three to five minute routine, I'm willing to help you. List the effects you regularly perform, the books, DVDs and props you own and how much, if any, you are willing to spend on materials for the show. With that we can work to develop a routine.

Nov 8, 2007
Hi RealityOne,
Thanks for the comment.
Well, I have given about 15-30 minutes to perform and the worst thing is I already make a confirmation about my performance, how can I cancel it? Don't you think it will be pretty embarrassing if I cancel it?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Are there going to be other performers? Are you being paid? What specifically is the event? What is the venue... is it an auditorium or a hotel ballroom or a hall? That will give me a better sense of what you are dealing with.

My advice is to build a strong 15 minute routine. Post the list of resources and props, the list of what specific effects you usually perform and your budget. I'll look at it and see what I can come up with.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have been in this situation before and it can be quite nerve wracking and scary. My best advice for you is to take some of the things you know and learn how to play them on a larger scale. At this point in time you probably do not have the time or money to go buy stage props, nor do you have time to recreate an entire show from scratch.

Use what you have and create a great theme or story to run the effects together with nice transitions. Rather than stand up there and bang out your effects one after the other, it needs to have some meaning behind it.

If you do have a little bit of money...you may consider buying some jumbo cards and a little bit of rope to perform a nice little rope act.
Both items can be seen fairly well on a stage and do not cost much at all.

You could take your Tarantula and do something with money and talk about how around the holidays everyone is spending money
or you could play up a pick pocket routine with Clutch from Oz. Just throwing ideas out there for you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Good point Luis, if they are not providing sound he will need a wireless mic system. I just bought one of the Happy Amp 2.0's and am testing mine out next Wed.

Jan 16, 2010
Ya, being only 2 weeks left before your performance, you cannot possibly learn anything new. Just like realityone said, post every single aspect of the show you can, your resources, and your props. With that information we can definitely help you out. But going 15 minutes on what you have now is pushing it. But Everyone on this site enjoys a challenge, am I right?

Chris

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results