Classic Problems with Brian Miller review

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hello everybody. I recently had the privilege or receiving a copy of an upcoming dvd release entitled Classic Problems. This dvd features the works of Brian Miller and is filmed and produced by Brian Rodgers over at mental playground productions. Well to begin with the title really says it all, the dvd included Millers idea's and approaches to some classic routines, or specifically the problems or flaws he see's with them. The dvd presents his handling's on several routines, 7 to be exact, as well as his thoughts on them. With that intro, lets get into the review itself.

Production
-The production are pretty good. Now they may not be as glitzy and glamourous as the T11 releases, but its not too far of a stretch, and with a topic like "Classical" problems that actually seems fitting. The production values themselves are fine, a simple yet fitting setting and some one on one time with Brian and the effects. Good video quality and sound, no complaints whatsoever.

The Effects

-Mr. Clean Coins to Pocket- A coins to pocket routine, if you couldn't guess. The routine focuses largely on the motivation for the effect, providing it as as the idea of trying to make it look as open as possible approaching the pocket. A very nice routine that i feel would play well in walk around. Taught in the effect is a very interesting false count for coins that i can see having several applications. The routine utilizes no gimmicked coins. Brian goes over every nuance of the routine and teaches in detail the Tenkai pennies move as well as his take on the retention vanish, which is quite nice. The routine requires a minimal set-up of perhaps 3 seconds and is instantly resettable, providing a great walk around effect as i said and even has a separate impromptu method as well.

Overall its a very nice adaptation of a classic plot with some newer concepts and refinements- 7.5 out of 10

-Sand Trap- A quick hybrid of a Sandwich routine and a transpo. The routine is impromptu and many magicians' might be initially disappointed. This stems from a lack of technical and hard sleights within the effect. However, this is a mistake, the patter and routining put into this routine make it truly strong in the eyes of a spectator. Its very simple, straightforward and actively involves two spectators. The routine plays big and packs small so dont overlook it. I've been using it for the past week and it works, just trust me.

Overall this effect truly teach's the importance of routining and patter= 8 out of 10

-Copper/Silver Simple- A simplified presentation of Copper/Silver that happens in slow stages. It invokes humor and offbeat magical moments. Utilizing a common gimmick in a new and inventive way and its a truly unique method for a classic trick. I really like this effect and can see myself using it often.

Overall this effect gets a -9 out of 10

-Sudden Aces- A quick, humorous and simple 4 ace production. Gotta be honest, the production isn't crazy awesome but nor is it disappointing. And lets face it, everybody has to have one, so as far as Ace productions go its about a 6 but the humorous presentation and offbeat presentation bump it up to a 7 out of 10

-Jack Be Quick- A Black Jack effect utilizing the recently produced "Sudden Aces". Its a very nice cutting 4 of a kind effect complete with surprise ending. It flows well and overall is a very nice presentation a classic theme. I tried this out at a family event and completely fooled the table with the last production so i have to say its worth investing some time in and getting the timing down proper

Overall this effect rates a- 8 out of 10

-Four Card Game- A interesting take on the Twisting the Aces plot. Very clean, very visual and not overly complicated. It also provides motivation for the repetition which is one of Brian's pet peeves. Overall its an effect i will have to play with just because it looks so darn clean, even though i love the classic twisting the aces. Definitely a worker,.

Overall this effect gets- 9.5 out of 10

There are also two hidden effects within the dvd and TRUST ME they are worth finding. One is a Marked Deck effect that is killer, probably my second favorite thing on the dvd and it KILLS, the second is a nifty piece of mentalism that cant fail. Its really nice and a devious method so definitely take the time to find those two pieces of work.

The Unsaid
While the dvd possesses a decent arsenal of effects with variety and some interesting solutions to "Classical Problems" the real value of the dvd is in between the methods. For starters Brian is a real funny guy and the humor on the dvd had me in stitches for almost the entire length of the dvd. The real value however is the tips, idea's and thought Brian talks about. Many people may make the mistake of stating it as longwinded but if you take the time to listen you can pick up some REAL professional advice about creating, and the process of making effects your own and better. The idea's he bring to the table will help several magicians seeking to progress to a new level. It provides a good structural foundation for magicians to begin expanding from within rather than seeking methods externally. In summary the dvd was a nice display of some Classical Plots reborn but its the messages in between that make this dvd great. If you are a beginner you will get an introduction to some classical routines and some great methods for them as well as some information i wish i had available when i was trying to expand my magic. if your an intermediate magician, it can be an invaluable resource to help you begin to structure your own magic and create. Do yourself a favor and look this dvd up.

Just stumbled across this review. Thanks for such positive comments Josh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the project. It was a long time coming, and still coming since it hasn't be released yet. I will post back here as soon as I know anything about its release, which really shouldn't be too much longer. It's been nearly a year since the filming!

Dec 21, 2010
hello

nice comments.. thanks so much for sharing! This site is exactly what i was looking for :)

You must have put a lot of time in this review! respect!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results