Your Biggest Failure...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Everyone!!
I love talking about my sucesses and good gigs...but I hardly talk about my failures and I would like to tell you about the one I consider my biggest failure,I had a show 2 years ago and it was a very anticipated show for me since it was the first stand-up show I had, and I practiced a lot before, but I didn`t realize that I was making lots of mistakes like doing tricks for magicians, not checking the parameters with the owners before show (like if I was allowed to move the tables, sound system etc..) not practicing the tricks enough and just asume they were easy and lots more...when the day came, I SUCKED....I flashed in a lot of tricks, some of them were pointless for the audience, lots of people didn`t heard me talk, it was painful to watch acording to my brother

Anyway I think the biggest mistake was to charge after the show...some people didn`t want to pay and other things as well...needless to say the other scheduled show got canceled...

*sigh* That was my biggest failure...to date

anyway I wanted to share that and I thought you might want to share one of yours...to remind us that we are human...warning...I don`t want bashing or criticizing...this is just to share and have some fun..

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
It may seem like a failure, but to me it seems like one of the best things that has ever happened. Think of it this way, every time you mess up it is another lesson learned. Never think that you 'failed', because you always learn from your mistakes and that is always the best thing that can happen. In this case, you learned a LOT. I would never consider that a failure. It's a win/win situation. Sure you may lose a gig or two because of it, but it makes you stronger.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
It may seem like a failure, but to me it seems like one of the best things that has ever happened. Think of it this way, every time you mess up it is another lesson learned. Never think that you 'failed', because you always learn from your mistakes and that is always the best thing that can happen. In this case, you learned a LOT. I would never consider that a failure. It's a win/win situation. Sure you may lose a gig or two because of it, but it makes you stronger.

Oh...I know that jejeje...anyway this thread is for sharing failures and maybe what you learn from them...can you share one of yours with us?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
There's been many times that I have messed up. One time was busking the streets and this guy wouldnt be quiet everytime i moved my hands, such as shuffling the cards; he was a really bad heckler. A guy asked to shuffle the cards, and I was frozen because I hadnt peeked at the card to know what it was (It was controlled to the top), so I resorted to palming it off and then he said "Let me see your hands." And then I grabbed my cards back and walked away. I didn't have a good day, let's put it that way.

There was one time I was performing at a carnival/festival when I walked up to some people and asked to show them some magic. Everything was going great that night until I decided to bust out my "Smoke" gimmick for the first time and when it came out of my pocket the cap and "the thing that makes it work" came off and everyone saw it. I played it off like it was a broken sharpie and did a different trick. My mistake was trying to do it again and getting caught. Needless to say I have never made that mistake again.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
There was one time I was performing at a carnival/festival when I walked up to some people and asked to show them some magic. Everything was going great that night until I decided to bust out my "Smoke" gimmick for the first time and when it came out of my pocket the cap and "the thing that makes it work" came off and everyone saw it. I played it off like it was a broken sharpie and did a different trick. My mistake was trying to do it again and getting caught. Needless to say I have never made that mistake again.

that sucks...
Is your name also Luis? awesome!! I like you just for that!!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So far my biggest failure to date was about two years ago. I was hired to do 3 hrs. of strolling magic / balloon animals at a company picnic. I did not have a GPS at the time and "thought" I had given myself plenty of time to arrive at the gig on time. Well...long story short, the directions that were given to me by the wife of the event coordinator were wrong. She had gotten a street name wrong and this in turn with not leaving soon enough made my arrival 30 minutes late.
Meanwhile, as I am frantically driving around trying to find the proper route to the event, sweating, and worried that I would not get paid, the event coordinator keeps calling my cell every 5 minutes asking where I was and what the heck is going on. Keep in mind I was charging him $250 for the 3 hour gig. It was an hour away from my home. I felt horrible and kept apologizing to the guy on the phone and trying to explain that the directions given to me were incorrect. He didn't want to hear any of my excuses and I knew it. Long story short, I showed up, did a super job and then stayed a half hour later than scheduled to "cover" my mistake. I felt so horrible going to collect the check from the event coordinator.
The next day I took the money and bought a GPS and decided I would NEVER be late to a gig again and that I would always be 45 minutes to a half hour early to every gig.
So...please...any one reading this, double and triple check directions to your event and if you think you are leaving early enough...plan even earlier. Getting to the event too early is never a bad thing because you can set up, relax, double check props, drink some water, and have zero stress.

Jul 7, 2010
So far my biggest failure to date was about two years ago. I was hired to do 3 hrs. of strolling magic / balloon animals at a company picnic. I did not have a GPS at the time and "thought" I had given myself plenty of time to arrive at the gig on time. Well...long story short, the directions that were given to me by the wife of the event coordinator were wrong. She had gotten a street name wrong and this in turn with not leaving soon enough made my arrival 30 minutes late.
Meanwhile, as I am frantically driving around trying to find the proper route to the event, sweating, and worried that I would not get paid, the event coordinator keeps calling my cell every 5 minutes asking where I was and what the heck is going on. Keep in mind I was charging him $250 for the 3 hour gig. It was an hour away from my home. I felt horrible and kept apologizing to the guy on the phone and trying to explain that the directions given to me were incorrect. He didn't want to hear any of my excuses and I knew it. Long story short, I showed up, did a super job and then stayed a half hour later than scheduled to "cover" my mistake. I felt so horrible going to collect the check from the event coordinator.
The next day I took the money and bought a GPS and decided I would NEVER be late to a gig again and that I would always be 45 minutes to a half hour early to every gig.
So...please...any one reading this, double and triple check directions to your event and if you think you are leaving early enough...plan even earlier. Getting to the event too early is never a bad thing because you can set up, relax, double check props, drink some water, and have zero stress.

good advice, when I first went to audition to the magic castle junior society I kept thinking that I was going to be late but, turns out that I ended up waiting around for 3 hours with some cool people it was a lot of fun

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
There's been many times that I have messed up. One time was busking the streets and this guy wouldnt be quiet everytime i moved my hands, such as shuffling the cards; he was a really bad heckler. A guy asked to shuffle the cards, and I was frozen because I hadnt peeked at the card to know what it was (It was controlled to the top), so I resorted to palming it off and then he said "Let me see your hands." And then I grabbed my cards back and walked away. I didn't have a good day, let's put it that way.

Next time you have a heckler that's really rude and wants to shuffle the deck, just say,

"Sorry, but I'm not a radio station, I don't take requests. Especially from rude audience members."

It may seem kind of mean but it usually gets them to stop heckling or they forget about shuffling the deck and start feeling embarrassed that you called them out in front of everyone. Not the most polite thing to do, but it gets the job done and the rest of the audience on your side.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Next time you have a heckler that's really rude and wants to shuffle the deck, just say,

"Sorry, but I'm not a radio station, I don't take requests. Especially from rude audience members."

It may seem kind of mean but it usually gets them to stop heckling or they forget about shuffling the deck and start feeling embarrassed that you called them out in front of everyone. Not the most polite thing to do, but it gets the job done and the rest of the audience on your side.

I understand that you are trying to help but that is certainly not the best way to go.

This is all in my head though. I do not mean to call you out or be rude.

Whenever I am faced with a similar situation what I do is tell the heckler that I am not "trying to fool you" (though I kind of am) I just want to entertain you. When I perform I see people smile and that means that they are happy. That is why I do magic. Now you ruined this for everyone else and they can't have fun and be happy with it.

I say this in front of EVERYONE and then they feel bad for me and realize I am trying to be nice to them and brighten their day. So in their heads I am the good guy now and the heckler is the bad guy.

After telling the heckler this I walk away. But that is not the end of it.

Generally 99% of the time after I walk off the spectators get mad at the heckler and tell him off. Then they come over to me and say they still want to see magic and then I perform and things turn out great.

•As for answering the topic. I can remember one mistake that I faced about 1 or 2 years ago (I don't remember). I was performing at a magic counter in Hollywood and I looked at the cards when I did a slight and I was called out on it.

After that no matter what I always practice all my routines, slights, tricks with the lights off in pitch black with myself looking forward and not at what I am doing so I can do everything I need without calling attention to it. I am very happy I messed up that day.

Aug 4, 2010
A guy asked to shuffle the cards, and I was frozen because I hadnt peeked at the card to know what it was (It was controlled to the top), so I resorted to palming it off and then he said "Let me see your hands." And then I grabbed my cards back and walked away. I didn't have a good day, let's put it that way.

The only fail there is that you handed your cards to a spectator in the middle of a trick....Anyways...What you should do is say "no" and continue...If u want to avoid that from happening just do a trick that does not use controls or breaks...and let them shuffle as much as they want.. from then on if they ask to shuffle again remind them that they have done so before...

I never let the audience touch my cards with their filthy hands....unless I feel like it.

On topic...

I do not allow failure....

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
The only fail there is that you handed your cards to a spectator in the middle of a trick....Anyways...What you should do is say "no" and continue...If u want to avoid that from happening just do a trick that does not use controls or breaks...and let them shuffle as much as they want.. from then on if they ask to shuffle again remind them that they have done so before...

I never let the audience touch my cards with their filthy hands....unless I feel like it.

On topic...

I do not allow failure....

Elite...this thread is to post your failures....lets leave criticism for other time...

btw I was wondering what took you so long to post here about your perfect life...

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Elite...this thread is to post your failures....lets leave criticism for other time...

btw I was wondering what took you so long to post here about your perfect life...

To be fair, all he's doing here is offering advice for the situation mentioned. There's no point posting a thread about failures if people aren't allowed to suggest solutions to the problems. Otherwise nobody learns anything.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
To be fair, all he's doing here is offering advice for the situation mentioned. There's no point posting a thread about failures if people aren't allowed to suggest solutions to the problems. Otherwise nobody learns anything.

I am sure we all here learned about our past mistakes...as I said before this thread is for sharing experiences not discuss them...the point here is to remind us that we all make mistakes...you are not getting the point...because almost everyones here has posted their misktakes and what they learned...

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I am sure we all here learned about our past mistakes...as I said before this thread is for sharing experiences not discuss them...the point here is to remind us that we all make mistakes...you are not getting the point...because almost everyones here has posted their misktakes and what they learned...

Sorry, I'm not getting this. Share your mistakes and say what you learned from them, fair enough, but it just seems a bit silly to then not offer people advice or start a discussion if a certain point arises. I'm just saying, when is constructive criticism and debate ever a bad thing?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Sorry, I'm not getting this. Share your mistakes and say what you learned from them, fair enough, but it just seems a bit silly to then not offer people advice or start a discussion if a certain point arises. I'm just saying, when is constructive criticism and debate ever a bad thing?

it`s not a bad thing...but right now this thread should be to tell a story of a mistake you did...and what you learned from it...maybe to even laugh at yourself...basically have a nice time thinking how much you have advanced...

I've got another one this one from WAY back in high school (2 years ago) when I first started performing. I was performing "Distortion" the effect was done and I had to ditch the gimmick in my jacket pocket. Well there was one kid who just reached in and grabbed it and started messing with it. He almost broke it. That experience taught me about misdirecting the audience when loading and ditching gimmicks, gaffs, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results