Help with the parents...

Oct 17, 2007
Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of the people on this forum are teens -- at least those who state their age. I am also 15 years old and I have parents who are definitely not supportive of magic, to the point where they will yell when I am "caught" with a deck of cards. Anyway, I was hoping some of you might have used or may know of ways to "soften them up" or "cool them off" or maybe... I don't know make THEM pay for stuff!!!! I mean come on now, who has the steady income? Not me. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me, and impart on me your boundless knowledge. :D

Thanks

Oct 20, 2007
Well im also 15, but my parents are actually quite supportive of my magic. Maybe your lowering your grades or not getting distracted in school and thats why their mad? And save up, I never ask for money for magic, if you have trouble getting money for magic maybe pull some small gigs?

How well can you do magic? Tell them that you want be famous someday. Show some magic to your parents and they will try to be supportive. If they are being skeptic about it and I guess you try to do things on your own. Try do some magic at kids party to make few bucks on bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2007
In actuality, it's probably not that your parents hate your magic, but rather feel it is distracting you from your school work. In that case, you have to show them that its not distracting you. I kind of have the same problem. My dad gets angry whenever I'm just holding a deck in my hands while I do my homework.

If it IS the case where your parents actually DO hate it, then heres what you do: Sit down, and have a talk with them about it. Just say, "Mom, dad, I just wanna talk about my magic and stuff." Then, explain exactly why you do it, and maybe make a deal of sorts where you can both compromise on something.

(By the way, I'm 15 also, so don't worry. You're not the only one. ;) )

Well I'm 14, soon-to-be-15 but anywho, you really just need to talk to your parents. Don't just try not to get caught with cards you need to explain why you like to do what you do, and explain that there must be something your parents do as well, or even when they were younger. It's all about communication, do expect them to fork out tons of dough to you but, just ask them if you cna borrow some money until you can pay them back.

-RA69

Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

I think that it is mainly for my "falling" grades that are now climbing :D.

But I think I am going to wait until my grades are fully up and then I'll try and show them something -- like DD or bullet or factory sealed because as of now they have taken away all of my cards :(.

Anyway, thanks again!!

Oct 21, 2007
Aye, those are good parents you have there. Sorry, but they are definitly looking out for you. I completely agree with taking your stuff away untill you get better grades. I am pretty sure you agree as well heh.

Oct 17, 2007
Aye, those are good parents you have there. Sorry, but they are definitly looking out for you. I completely agree with taking your stuff away untill you get better grades. I am pretty sure you agree as well heh.

Sadly, I see a reason to their madness....

Thanks for the responses.

I think that it is mainly for my "falling" grades that are now climbing :D.

But I think I am going to wait until my grades are fully up and then I'll try and show them something -- like DD or bullet or factory sealed because as of now they have taken away all of my cards :(.

Anyway, thanks again!!
Then you have got good parents there. They're just keeping your best interest in mind, even if you don't like how they're doing it. I completely agree with their decision, and if you think about it, I'm sure you will too.

School comes before magic. Always.

All the best,

Ryan

Your parents love you, and I know for a fact that magic can be very distracting. I barely passed high school because I was so caught up in my magic. Nothing mattered to me besides practicing. It came to a point that I had to slap myself and wake up.

The best medicine is to sit down with your parents and talk with them. Tell them how much magic means to you. Explain that magic is like any other hobby and it is something you are truly interested in. You have to explain YOUR side and at the same time listen to their side. Because they are the ones raising you, feeding you, and putting a roof over your head. They ARE your parents and you CAN talk to them.

Even if it is weird to do so... :p

Mitchell

Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the replys, it means a lot. its amazing how much of a small "woe is me" world I created for myself!!

It sounds like alot of you guys' parents are pretty strict towards your magic career. Like I think I read on a previous post that they have to get A's then they can do magic? Wow. This is YOUR career, make it YOUR career. It' can't be YOURS if your parents tell you whether you can or can't do it. Let's say your dad is a cop. He might have wanted to be a cop ever since he was 10 years old. I highly doubt his parents made him get A's before he could start practicing law. Highly. Just let them know that being a magician is just as good of a profession as any other profession. I'm also 15, and my parents are HIGHLY supportive. They weren't at first, until they saw that it could take me somewhere. So prove to your parents that magic can take somebody very far in life. Start showing THEM magic. If you get in trouble, so be it! Trust me, it's worth a career in magic. If you get grounded, sneak a pack of cards and practice the entire time your grounded, and try to learn newer stuff that you KNOW they will be impressed by. When you're ungrounded, show them magic again! Sure you may not be able to see your friends for a few weeks, but then maybe your parents will start taking your magic seriously like my parents do. One day, they'll be asking you to show them magic, instead of forbidding it.

Some of you may disagree with this, but hey, it worked for me!;)

Oct 31, 2007
Connecticut
I am 16 and my parents are semi supportive. If I do a trick to my mom, she watches and likes it and sometimes even askes me to perform for her or her friends. My dad on the other hand will try to figure out a trick when I show it to him. When I show him a trick he will just blurt out what he THINKS the method is and he has NEVER been right. His solutions to the tricks are really stupid and I find them funny. For example: One time my family went out to eat at a resturant in town and I had my M5. I proceded to balance a fork on a spoon (which was horizontal). The fork was balanced at a 45 degree angle with no visable means of support and he said and I quote,"Oh it's just balancing.":eek: Are you kidding me? When he said that I just laughed and then the fork fell. I have a weird and irrational father.

Sep 1, 2007
I am 16 and my parents are semi supportive. If I do a trick to my mom, she watches and likes it and sometimes even askes me to perform for her or her friends. My dad on the other hand will try to figure out a trick when I show it to him. When I show him a trick he will just blurt out what he THINKS the method is and he has NEVER been right. His solutions to the tricks are really stupid and I find them funny.

I feel your pain.

My dad does that all the time, but its funny. And as long as he does not guess how its done, then I'm fine.

I mean I did the coolest thing yesterday. I was watching the O'reilly factor on fox news. And they do this stupid thing where they have 2 people on, I don't know if anyone has seen it. But they have 2 people on and they answer like pop culture questions or something like that. I had no idea what the answers where, but they where multiple choice.

So I was reading O'reilly's body language and how his voice sounded. Using everything I learned from mentalism, I got 4/5 questions right. And I got one of them right before I even heard the question. No one was impressed. I mean what the heck do I got to do around here!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results