Stage Show

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I was just asked if I could participate in "Wolters' Got Talent" which is going to be part of "Celebrate Success" that my school does every six weeks. Basically, they want any one with talent to perform. They would prefer us to get on stage and do it, but if we do not want to get on stage they will video it then play it.

I want to get on stage. I have terrible stage fright, and I need to get over that. It will be for right around 200 kids plus the teachers and principles. Should be no more than 225 people, all seated right in front of me in the auditorium.

I only have TWO effects that would play well on stage - DRESSCODE, and a Fiber Optics based rope routine that was on David Stones The Real Secrets of Magic Vol. 1.

This event will be on January 28th. I plan to be graduated by then but they want me to come back. This means that most of the kids and teachers will have seen DRESSCODE since I am going to do it the day I graduate.

I need help figuring out what to do. I have Mark Wilson's Complete Course - is there anything in there I could use?

Thanks,
Rob

Nov 9, 2010
I don't know how strict this event is, but...

If you go for the video alternative you can do a lot of close-up performances for various people and edit it together to get the best parts. This way it won't be a problem if some performances don't work out that great - you pick and choose the best parts! If they'll allow it you can do this and before the video is played you can go up on stage and either introduce the video and do just one or two tricks before that are better fitted for stage magic.

Just a quick thought of how you can show them a good performance without having to deal with the stage fright part more than for one or two tricks and that way ease into it.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Maybe I could do that, and then do ONE stage trick. I was thinking to get my best friend and girlfriend to help and do an effect in Mark Wilson's book.

Blake and I hold up a large sheet. He wraps himself in it. I talk for a sec, build up tension, and then unravel the sheet to show that he is gone, and my girlfriend is now in the sheet and then Blake loudly starts applause in the back of the audience!

Nov 27, 2009
I've seen the Sponge Balls work great on stage. Paper balls over the head also plays really well. You may be thinking too big here. There are a few card tricks that work great on stage. Some versions of Cards Across, an effect called Everyones Card, and a few others are designed specifically for stage work. The one of the last chapters of RRTCM is devoted to "Platform Tricks."

CalvinTan

Elite Member
There's a really good trick in that Mark Wilson book involving a signed quarter that is vanished and found inside a matchbox, inside a ball of yarn. The presentation is up to you to come up with. You could do a whole story about time travel.

Jan 16, 2010
Post all of your resources, books, dvds, and anything else you have. You can pretty well turn any trick into a stage trick if done correctly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results