Soft coins

Which soft coins are the best?

• Total voters

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Hey guys
Im just getting into coin magic and wondering where to get soft coins and what kind. And since Im only 14 Im on a budget so I can't spend too much

Aug 17, 2010
If you have a local coin shop you can ask if the have any slick coins sometimes they'll let them go for cheap

With silver going up to $30/ounce, I don't know if 'cheap' is the word. They'll generally sell slicks (or 'junk silver' it's often called) for the melt value of the silver.

If you're just starting, why not go with Ikes until you're sure you want to blow $100 or more on nice props? Or clad Kennedy halves? Both of these can be found for face value.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks but since I want to start preforming in public I would think the quieter the better but thanks anyway
With silver going up to $30/ounce, I don't know if 'cheap' is the word. They'll generally sell slicks (or 'junk silver' it's often called) for the melt value of the silver.

If you're just starting, why not go with Ikes until you're sure you want to blow $100 or more on nice props? Or clad Kennedy halves? Both of these can be found for face value.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Just a side note, if you want more comprehensive information you might want to check out the Magic Cafe, a lot of the folks there have a lot of performing experience, so they can definitely tell you what you want to know.
Most people here don't do coin magic so probably won't have as much information to give you.

I will tell you that if you choose to get silver coins whether they be soft or silver, remember, if you want to get matching gaffs for them, it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than the alternative, which is clad halves/ikes.

I personally worked with liberties until recently when I switched back to clad kennedy's to work with gaffs.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks but one question....what are the gaffed coins
Just a side note, if you want more comprehensive information you might want to check out the Magic Cafe, a lot of the folks there have a lot of performing experience, so they can definitely tell you what you want to know.
Most people here don't do coin magic so probably won't have as much information to give you.

I will tell you that if you choose to get silver coins whether they be soft or silver, remember, if you want to get matching gaffs for them, it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than the alternative, which is clad halves/ikes.

I personally worked with liberties until recently when I switched back to clad kennedy's to work with gaffs.

Aug 17, 2010
Thanks but one question....what are the gaffed coins

In the interests of exposure, I'll PM some gaff coin descriptions.

I do a lot of coin work, and a lot of things don't rely soft coins. I use Peace dollars and silver Kennedy halves.

The gaffs cost more, but I went for Schoolcraft and Kueppers stuff - handmade, and of great quality.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I don't know what you are planning on performing, and I am not sure what soft has anything to do with being able to perform.
I started off with Kennedy Halves, went well for me. I moved on to Eisenhower. Through many changes, now I am onto Morgan silvers.
Each coin is different than rest, but in terms of performing, they make very little difference.

Yes, soft coin does make it 'quieter' to leave you a little more room for mistakes, but I also don't know enough coin effects that REQUIRE soft coins to be able to pull off.

So, the point of my post, go with what you can afford. One coin ain't better than other (aesthetic, maybe, better, arguably not)

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for all of the help guys
I think I'll look for some libertys on e-bay

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results