Value of rare decks?

Nov 9, 2010
First of all - if this thread is misplaced or breaking any rules I might've missed I do apologize for this. I'm new to this forum and am still trying to get a grip of how things work around here so please bear with me.

Now to the reason for this thread.

I've never been a collector unless it is things I find personal value in. However, because of my strategy to only spend money on magic tricks and supplies a few times every year I've been fortunate enough to get a hold of the following decks:

White Centurions (Gee, I wonder when and where, you might be thinking;))
Brown Wynns
Black Ghost First Edition
Gold Arcane in Lucite Case

All of these are unopened and in brand new condition. I understand that these decks apparently are considered rare and valuable, but I am a complete newbie about this so I have no idea about stuff like this. I've searched ebay to try and understand what their value might be but all I've found are auctions nobody has bid on yet so I have no idea if their overpriced or not. Therefore I turn to you guys. What would you say these decks' market values are?

Please note that I am not trying to sell these decks as of right now. I'm merely trying to find out what their worth, which ones I can feel okay with keeping on the shelf, which I might give away as a christmas gift to a magician friend and which of them I might sell in the future. The thing is that since they haven't been given to me as gifts from people I know, I don't feel attached to them and therefore see no personal value in them. (If I were to be given a Black Ghost deck or anything similar from a friend I'd be all "My preciousssss....", trust me.)

Hopefully someone out there can help out with this. (I've tried to search for older threads regarding this but I couldn't find a fitting one so I took a chance and created my own instead.)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Items are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it!

Don't forget that... Just because some people are trying to sell White Centurions on ebay for $250 doesn't mean they're worth it... unless someone agrees to pay that much haha.

It's all about demand.

White Centurions (Gee, I wonder when and where, you might be thinking;))
Brown Wynns
Black Ghost First Edition
Gold Arcane in Lucite Case

Alrighty...

White Centurions will probably go for something like $150-$200, they're great looking and are valuable :)
Brown Wynns could probably go for $50-$100 a piece. definitely not more than $150.
Black Ghost 1st Ed. have gone for $200 and even more. KEEP EM!
Gold Arcane In Lucite Case... your black ghost and the gold arcanes were only printed 5,000 times. The Gold Arcane will still itself would probably go for $150... with the lucite case I'd say... $250/$300. If you had a black ghost 1st ed. in a lucite case it would probably go for more, mainly because there's a less chance of you being able to find a black ghost.

All in all I would easily say that you keep 'em. Look at it this way, 3/4 years ago T11 sold the white centurions for what... $6? Now they go for $150-$200!! Imagine what'll happen to your others.

Btw, I'm also in the same boat as you! Except for the lucite case gold arcane... I'mma definitely hold on to my stuff!!

Nov 9, 2010
Thanks for your responses, guys! I would've guessed that the values were a bit lower than what they seem. That's a nice surprise I guess!

I'll have to think long and hard about what I should do with them in the following days.

Don't forget that... Just because some people are trying to sell White Centurions on ebay for $250 doesn't mean they're worth it... unless someone agrees to pay that much haha.

Yeah, that's what I figured so I felt I couldn't trust ebay auctions without any bids. That's like asking a car salesman what he thinks is a good price for a car he is selling. ;)

Aug 4, 2010
All of those are worth 4$ usd to me.....just 52 pieces of cardboard...but i'm sure some humans are foolish enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them....

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
All of those are worth 4$ usd to me.....just 52 pieces of cardboard...but i'm sure some humans are foolish enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them....

I think the term is "more money than sense". I'd never pay more than £10 for a pack of cards unless I became very wealthy.

Apr 22, 2009
This topic already seems to have enough responses but I'll just give my two cents...

Values of things like this aren't really objective. They're not made of gold... They're value is in how valuable people think they are.
It's like inflation in currency; money can become worthless if people decide it's worthless. Ever heard of supply and demand? Yeah, that applies to cards.

The decks you see in grocery stores and gas stations and pretty much anywhere: High supply, low demand, low prices.

Jerry's Nuggets, White Centurions, Black Ghost 1st Edition: Low supply, high demand and or high hype, high price.

markefferent

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
You consider £10 a deck reasonable and don't consider yourself wealthy?! I wouldn't spend more than £2 on deck. The amount I go through i'd have to be wealthy to even think about spending more than that!

Rev
I didn't say £10 is reasonable, I said £10 is the maximum I would spend. Cards from American places like here, D&D etc are £6 or £7 each with postage anyway but let's say Jerrys, Golden Nuggets etc.. are worth the extra £3 or £4.

Feb 4, 2008
I'd like to add a new question to this thread if I can...

Many of the 1st edition T-11 and E decks fetch a high price but how can you tell which one is a first edition? For instance, one that I know about is the original Black Tigers from E. They were printed on standard 808 stock and said "Air Cushion" as opposed to UV500 Air Flow. Now that USPCC is going to label all their cards Air Cushion and the UV500 stock has been kicked down the road how will you be able to identify a pre-UV500 BT deck from a post UV500 deck?

Also, how to tell the difference on 1st editions of major brands, Black Ghost, Ghost, Centurions, ect...

I'd appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2010
This topic already seems to have enough responses but I'll just give my two cents...

Values of things like this aren't really objective. They're not made of gold... They're value is in how valuable people think they are.
It's like inflation in currency; money can become worthless if people decide it's worthless. Ever heard of supply and demand? Yeah, that applies to cards.

The decks you see in grocery stores and gas stations and pretty much anywhere: High supply, low demand, low prices.

Jerry's Nuggets, White Centurions, Black Ghost 1st Edition: Low supply, high demand and or high hype, high price.

markefferent

I couldn't agree more. It's all about supply and demand. I was just trying to get a grip of how much most people would consider the decks worth since they appear to be rare. Of course it's subjective how much someone is willing to pay, but most of the time the market value is somewhat stable.

For someone who's highest valued deck is an old worn-out blue bicycle deck with two missing cards I needed guidance by some who's more in the know with the custom cards. ;)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
All of this is why I bought 6 deckONEs and 6 S&Ms vol. 5. I wouldn't pay more than what they're being sold for now but I have a feeling they will stop being sold, and people will want to pay a lot for them. I'm saving 4 of each pack to resell later.

All of this is why I bought 6 deckONEs and 6 S&Ms vol. 5. I wouldn't pay more than what they're being sold for now but I have a feeling they will stop being sold, and people will want to pay a lot for them. I'm saving 4 of each pack to resell later.

I would do the same, if not buy a lot more. Heck, if they don't go up in value, I'll still have some sick cards, ESPECIALLY the d&d, I love the classy look of them.

Speaking of classy and simple cards, does anyone know about any other cards like the D&D's? Something that has crisp white borders, a classy color, and simple design.

Thanks,

Mehar

Nov 27, 2010
These decks are rare, but if we're doing it by how many were produced... there are decks that are even more rare...

the 5 deck set of Bicycle OriginalFakes

The 2 deck set of Bicycle Garden (500 sets)

Bicycle Transducer Aqua (2000 decks)

can you guys think of others?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results