The System - Good Freakin' Luck...

Sep 1, 2007
Because the world really needs another review of The System...

Right to the point:

The flourishes are really nice, if (and only if) you can figure out how to learn them. The two angles that all flourishes are taught are anything but helpful. If they had been taught from a 1st person perspective or at least had been mirrored, it would have helped the learning exponentially.

With flourishes as complex as most of these, it would have also been helpful for verbal instructions. In addition, if each flourish had been broken down into smaller sections, it would have made the instruction clearer.

I suppose those who cannot do teach, and in this case, vice versa.

Thankfully, this DVD is geared towards the experienced flourisher, so if one is at the level required, it should hopefully be easier to learn.

Tips for easier learning:

Learn the goddamn revolution cut and learn it well.

Learn basic sybil.

Stretch your fingers first. Always warm up before exercise. On that note, every time you practice, before you dive in, do a few revolution, scissor, and charlier cuts in each hand to warm up your muscles.

Get some crappy cards and tape them into equal packets with scotch tape. If you don't want to screw up the cards, tape with the back of the tape touching the cards and then tape sticky side down over that. Get a deck of three, four, five, and six packets (or however many you need).

Make use of the spacebar on your keyboard. This is usually the default "pause" button for most PC video players.

Learn 2 flourishes at a time, alternating practicing each one every other day. I try and do 100 "good ones" of a single flourish (to get the muscle memory down) one day and 100 "good ones" of another one the next day, alternating between the two.

Start with Genesis.

Kiss you freakin' social life goodbye.

If none of that works for you try this: Become Brian Tudor.

So far, this has worked for me. I find that the more structured I make my practice regiment, the easier it is to learn. Be hard on yourself. Form instance, every time you drop a card, bite your tongue really hard. In fact, for every card you drop, remove one pint of blood by whatever means neccesary. Be creative!

You will either flourish or die.

Good luck...

Sep 8, 2007
Carmichael,CA
I made a mistake and got it becuz i wanted to get into flourishing and all i knew was a charlier but now that i have come back to it with some false cuts and the sybil it is easier but the revolution if you can't do that get a different DVD.
One more thing maybe start wioth pasteboard anime to get some instructions on a few of the flourishes

I learned every move from the system with very little difficulty, just take it in steps. Watch Pasteboard Animations to get Genesis, Kryptonite and West Coast Chaos then Learn Madonna 2, its the easiest of all the Madonnas. I only ever found learning from the DVD difficult when my level wasn't up to the move I was watching.

Sep 1, 2007
I never had that much trouble with it... It might have been a connection with the fact that my social life level was way low.

Aug 31, 2007
For anyone working through the System: you may want to download a free media player called the KM Player. This allows you to mirror the video, essentially giving you an over-the-shoulder view. VERY helpful when trying to learn from the System.

Sep 1, 2007
I learned every move from the system with very little difficulty, just take it in steps. Watch Pasteboard Animations to get Genesis, Kryptonite and West Coast Chaos then Learn Madonna 2, its the easiest of all the Madonnas. I only ever found learning from the DVD difficult when my level wasn't up to the move I was watching.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but what the hell are pasteboard animations?

For anyone working through the System: you may want to download a free media player called the KM Player. This allows you to mirror the video, essentially giving you an over-the-shoulder view. VERY helpful when trying to learn from the System.

Sometimes macs are very annoying just because some stuff isn't avalible for them, got anything for a mac???

Thanks,
_Michael

Aug 31, 2007
Sometimes macs are very annoying just because some stuff isn't avalible for them, got anything for a mac???

Thanks,
_Michael

You could try the VLC Player, though I've heard it can be kind of buggy at times. But it should allow you to do the same kind of thing as the KM Player in terms of being able to rotate the video image.

Pasteboard animations is the home movie by Dan and Dave found in the extras section of the DVD. They actually talk, so it's quite useful when you first start so you get used to the front on angle while they explain so your brain gets used to it, then you can learn easier without the verbal instructions.

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
It's not that bad people. Discipline and Patience is all you need. But yes make sure you know the revolution cut, if you don't, I think it is safe to hold off on getting this DVD.

And the teaching is not that bad. That teaching has gotten through to some of the best, sure they probably complained, but if you really have a sincere addiction to flourishing, get this and don't cry.

Start with Madonna 2, and makes sure to go through Pasteboard Animations. There is some great stuff in there.

Sep 2, 2007
For whoever using the VLC media player, I realized you can flip the screen there as well. I didn't really have that much trouble learning the stuff, of course it takes patience, but if you don't have that, you shouldn't have gotten the DVD in the first place. You also have to consider this was Dan and Daves first DVD, I think it's a great DVD for what it is. But you can see they improved a lot since, with the Trilogy.

Sep 1, 2007
I think it isn't as hard as Generation X. Well, I only know some moves from System, but if you are biting your tongue when you drop your cards, you might need to learn how to talk without a tongue.

Sep 1, 2007

For whoever using the VLC media player, I realized you can flip the screen there as well. I didn't really have that much trouble learning the stuff, of course it takes patience, but if you don't have that, you shouldn't have gotten the DVD in the first place. You also have to consider this was Dan and Daves first DVD, I think it's a great DVD for what it is. But you can see they improved a lot since, with the Trilogy.

how 2 use the vlc media player?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results