Essential Magic Conference?

Sep 1, 2007
New York
No idea, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I mean, I'm sure we'll get them, but it has felt like producing the conference itself sapped up a lot of the EMC crew's energy. The individual shows were supposed to be edited into clips, and that hasn't happened yet, and it took days for the shows to be posted after the live stream. When they arrive it will be a happy surprise.

Oct 11, 2007
I think I remember them saying that it could be as late as August, but watching the sessions online should be a fine substitute until then.

Sep 1, 2007
New York
Thought I'd kick this post up to the top now that we're into 2011. Does anyone involved with the EMC (a promotional partner, perhaps?) have any idea what's going on with the promised DVDs?

Sep 1, 2007
New York
It is a little unfortunate that there has been no update - not even a "it's coming much later". Hopefully communication will open up.

Yeah, it's that old thing in business -- or politics, or life, really: it's often not about the result but the communication. If there's been a problem and the DVDs are still far off, fine, just let people know. People signed up months in advance on faith, and their loyalty should be acknowledged with clear communication.

I liked the EMC a lot and was happy I signed up. But I'll say that I had tiny nagging sensation watching it that the event was more focused on the attendees than the audience. Taking care of talent is a big deal in any endeavor, so I don't begrudge that at all. But given that there was a lot of talk about community and how we were all participating in something together, it feels distasteful to have had zero communication since October and certainly no update on the DVDs that were expected by the end of the year. The last update said that the performances were being edited into individual clips -- something that would be really useful because right now you have to load an entire hour-long block just to see a specific performance. But that hasn't happened either. If you go over to the Facebook page you'll see several posts by people saying they've emailed repeatedly and have had no reply at all. I was pretty sure there would be a "Happy Holidays/Here's What's Going On" post around New Year's and was surprised there wasn't.

I'm not saying that I'm going to feel ripped off if the DVDs don't land on my doorstep tomorrow. I'm just saying that it would be respectful of the audience if they simply communicated and let people know what the current timeframe is. If they want to do EMC2 and retain a big chunk of the current audience, I'd say it's a necessity.

Jul 13, 2009
Has anyone just simply tried contacting them? Marco and company seem like reliable and reputable people, not to mention busy. Don't sit and wait for something to happen, at least try and make something happen by contacting them.

Sep 1, 2007
New York
Yes, people have emailed and tried. To be honest, it's not like I want a personal response and to know when my DVDs are coming as much as I think as a matter of practice they should communicate with the audience that they have built. If that's not their M.O, then shut down the Facebook page and disable the community elements of the site.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey fellas, I understand the frustration. I do not have an answer for you but maybe JB can chime in if he has some inside info. I'll send him a PM and see if he has an update.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Just spoke with Luis a few moments ago and got a fresh update on this! He has been super jammed with The Magicians on the BBC as well as his own live performances and appearances on Spanish television yesterday. Nevertheless, Luis assured us that the EMC DVD's are in duplication as we speak, so I would expect an update and completion sometime very soon. His team is on top of it, working as quickly as possible. Stay tuned to the EMC site and your email to be informed as soon as they are completed. In the meantime, of course, you can watch all of the talks on the EMC website.

Nov 9, 2010
Does anyone know if it's still possible to pay the fee and watch the conference videos online? It seems possible to register but since the communication has been a bit so-so from what I can tell, the registration part might still be up simply because it hasn't been removed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results