Cards.... Cards... CARDS!!!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Everyone!!

So I just wanted to expose a thought I had for sometime ago...

WHY EVERYTHING HAS TO DO WITH CARDS??!!!

I saw a magician some months ago...he had this amazing trick that it was a revelation, I still have no idea how he did it...but the revelation was so awesome I could not believe it...the only thing I didn´t like is that he revealed a card...

what am I saying with this...is that when somebody wants to creat a new trick usually they think in cards...and when they find a great revelation they want to ONLY reveal a card, per example....Watermark by Mathieu Bich is an awesome revelation...so great I use it in The Vega Experience...my biggest show and it has gotten me lots of gigs...the reason? I don´t reveal cards...I reveal lots of things...ESP symbols, numbers, names and even animals...I try to use the full potential of a revelation...

I understand that maybe with cards you have a "safe" way to reveal what you want...what I want you to think is that if you could do real magic..would you only reveal cards?

I have more thoughts about this...but I want to hear some thoughts from you...

thanks for reading!!

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Some people just want to focus on one particular area of magic exclusively. It's like a person wanting to get into music and focusing on one particular instrument. No one yells at Neil Peart "WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH DRUMS?".

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to focus on one particular area or in being a jack of all props of sorts. It just depends on what your goals are.

Consider that not everyone wants to create the impression that they are doing real magic.

Extra credit rant:

I would actually say that for anyone starting off that intends to branch into different areas they should initially focus on one particular prop for a while first. Following this path you can learn the technical aspects specific to the prop you are using the fastest which then allows you to focus on learning all of the big picture stuff like performance and psycology which you can then apply universally to any branch of magic that you do.

Not only that you can start to analyze why the particular movements are there and what they are accomplishing.

Say you are learning card magic and learn an effect with a transposition like french kiss. Think about what is going on to accomplish that effect, the underlying principle at hand, and you can then apply it to any number of objects. You could just as easily take that principle in french kiss and do the same thing with sugar packets, coins, sponge balls (if you really wanted), wads of notebook paper, dollar bills, etc. From there all you have to worry about is the minor differences in how you handle that particular prop.

Quite often "new" magic comes about by a person simply applying an old principle in a new way. I feel that at least to begin with, one should focus on one type of magic so they can start seeing the bigger pictures as soon as possible.

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
Some people just want to focus on one particular area of magic exclusively. It's like a person wanting to get into music and focusing on one particular instrument. No one yells at Neil Peart "WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH DRUMS?".

Consider that not everyone wants to create the impression that they are doing real magic.

Quite often "new" magic comes about by a person simply applying an old principle in a new way. I feel that at least to begin with, one should focus on one type of magic so they can start seeing the bigger pictures as soon as possible.

I agree with everything quoted, thumbs up for Neil Peart comparison, made me laugh really hard.

Jul 14, 2010
cards are easy to force
I don't wanna walk around with a stack of cards with names on them or something..thats weird.noone has those,except magicians

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
cards are easy to force
I don't wanna walk around with a stack of cards with names on them or something..thats weird.noone has those,except magicians

Cards are easy to force, but so are other things like music:

Think of a popular MC Hammer song really quick and don't change your mind. Was it "Can't Touch This"?

Possibilities are endless with forcing something, just use your imagination.
Anyways, nobody walks around with a deck of cards except magicians.(And some girls,but just because they have a purse)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
My point is that when you have an awesome way to reveal something...don´t limitate yourself to cards...if you want to be different then do things that are different...revealing other things than cards put you in a different status than the magicians that ONLY reveald cards...

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I hear what you are saying Luis. When some one say's "magician" the first thing that comes to mind are cards and card tricks.

Something ironic about your post is that you are holding a "card" in your pic...just sayin'

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results