Learning from magic books

Feb 18, 2010
Okay, so I understand that RRTCM and Card College must be read in order, but how about other magic books?
Do I read Expert Card Technique, the same way learning and performing everything before I go to the next chapter? Thanks!

RRTCM and Card College are designed to transform you from a neophyte into a competent manipulator by going through steps. Most other magic books (Expert Card Technique included) have a wide variety of information regarding different sleights and methods. These are more instruction manuals, if you will, and they are designed to help you in specific areas or with particular moves. So, it is you that must determine which path to take when studying these manuals. You should read every page, but it is not imperative. Reading the whole book allows you to see different takes on a double lift or the pass that you may not have seen, so it is definitely beneficial to read over everything. You can, however, study more on your specific interests and skim the remaining. Best of luck to you!

Jan 31, 2010
Expert Card Technique is only minimally laid out to be read in order. I don't have my copy on hand, but I know the early chapters focus on sleights, with the later chapters focusing on tricks and routines. That being said, I believe one of the first two or three chapters focus on false deals, which require a tremendous amount of practice and are not beginner material.

Each chapter though, can reasonably be read straight through. A chapter on sleights frequently presents the basics first, then goes into a ton of variations, with the final parts being tricks using this sleight.

Apr 1, 2009
California
It really depends on the book. Something like RRTCM must be done in order, as each sleight relies on the one before. To some degree. I tend to study based on necessity now, after I "graduated" from RRTC. meaning, if I need a sleight, I will study it in all of it's forms. If I'm learning a double lift, I will read through it being explained in RRTCM then Expert Card Technique and then Bobo's.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results