Poker Deal Demonstration

Dec 19, 2010
Hello.
Im working on a poker deal in which i want to be as close to real game as possible but I've ran in to some tricky parts where I could use some pointers.

Here's the scenario: Let's say it's a 4 player game of 5 card draw and the person right to the dealer shuffles (Me), I use riffle stacking so that I get the 4 aces that were on top of the deck from the beginning. I thought it could be nice if the person left to the dealer cuts the deck as often the case in real game. Then the dealer takes the deck and deals out the cards.

The part that I find tricky is the spectators cut. I've tried adding a crimped card on top after my stacking and then cutting the deck so that the person who cuts cuts the crimp to the bottom and the aces to the top, but I think its kinda open and mezzy.
Another method would be to bend the bottom half away from oneself and cut it to the top leaving a small gap where the aces are, this is just to big a move I think.

So are there any better moves out there for this? Im not really used to crimps, maybe there's a good way of hiding it while still holding the whole deck.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Hello.
Im working on a poker deal in which i want to be as close to real game as possible but I've ran in to some tricky parts where I could use some pointers.

Here's the scenario: Let's say it's a 4 player game of 5 card draw and the person right to the dealer shuffles (Me), I use riffle stacking so that I get the 4 aces that were on top of the deck from the beginning. I thought it could be nice if the person left to the dealer cuts the deck as often the case in real game. Then the dealer takes the deck and deals out the cards.

The part that I find tricky is the spectators cut. I've tried adding a crimped card on top after my stacking and then cutting the deck so that the person who cuts cuts the crimp to the bottom and the aces to the top, but I think its kinda open and mezzy.
Another method would be to bend the bottom half away from oneself and cut it to the top leaving a small gap where the aces are, this is just to big a move I think.

So are there any better moves out there for this? Im not really used to crimps, maybe there's a good way of hiding it while still holding the whole deck.

The best way to get used to something is to try it and practice it. It seems like it is good already, thought it is open try using the crimp in a couple games. I bet no body will notice.

Dec 19, 2010
That might well be the answer just to get use to crimps a bit more.
How about a way to do this without setting up a crimp in advance?

Feb 4, 2008
Just have the speactator cut the deck towards the dealer(you) and the dealer(you) completes the cut. That is standard table ettiquette at many tables and give you the chance to perform a drop shift or a hop. If you don't know either of those you can still place the packets together leaving a step or in-jog and then performing a pass.

Sep 1, 2007
You could always just fall back to a simple criss cross cut. You could recap what you've done so far, and maybe hint at what you're about to do. Just my two cents, I like the premise of your idea though!

Dec 19, 2010
Just have the speactator cut the deck towards the dealer(you) and the dealer(you) completes the cut. That is standard table ettiquette at many tables and give you the chance to perform a drop shift or a hop. If you don't know either of those you can still place the packets together leaving a step or in-jog and then performing a pass.

The thing is im not going to touch the deck after the cut since im not the dealer. Altough this would be a more surefire method I like the idea of the spectator dealing, it just seems more fair.

Jun 29, 2010
France
I don't know if I've a suficient english vocabulary to explain that, but I can try:

Before you start your demo, explain how a poker game is:

-You say that firstly, the dealer must shuffles the deck (without do it).
-Then you explain the guy at the dealer's right cut the deck. Say "I give you an example" Put the deck in front of him and tell him to cut it. Complete the cut and say "Here is how a cut must be". (During this operation, keep the aces on your knees or palm them and add them to the deck after the cut)
-Then say "Here we go" or something like that and start your riffle stacking sequence, but always speak or tell about stories while doing it (Don't forget the best weapon's magician is misdirection).
-Finish your sequence in saying "And like we saw the deck is cut" But YOU do the cut, therefore you can easily cut on a simple out-jogged card. I well understood you want to follow the exact rules of a real poker game. But if you always speak at the same time you do your shuffles, and if you remember them the moment where the other guy cut the deck when you cut it, in thinking about it after the demonstration, they only recall the deck had been cut, except they are professionnal poker players, they won't recall YOU have cut the deck, particularly if you speak at the same time. Besides, until here, you've done nothing, you just explained the rules of a poker game, so they haven't already a close attention on your hands like if you've done a card to mouth just before.

I hope to have been plain but I especially wanted to show something today's magicians forget too often: Misdirection and Psychological devices are much more important than difficult sleights in the magician's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2010
I don't know if I've a suficient english vocabulary to explain that, but I can try:

Before you start your demo, explain how a poker game is:

-You say that firstly, the dealer must shuffles the deck (without do it).
-Then you explain the guy at the dealer's right cut the deck. Say "I give you an example" Put the deck in front of him and tell him to cut it. Complete the cut and say "Here is how a cut must be". (During this operation, keep the aces on your knees or palm them and add them to the deck after the cut)
-Then say "Here we go" or something like that and start your riffle stacking sequence, but always speak or tell about stories while doing it (Don't forget the best weapon's magician is misdirection).
-Finish your sequence in saying "And like we saw the deck is cut" But YOU do the cut, therefore you can easily cut on a simple out-jogged card. I well understood you want to follow the exact rules of a real poker game. But if you always speak at the same time you do your shuffles, and if you remember them the moment where the other guy cut the deck when you cut it, in thinking about it after the demonstration, they only recall the deck had been cut, except they are professionnal poker players, they didn't recall YOU have cut the deck, particularly if you speak at the same time. Besides, until here, you've done nothing, you just explained the rules of a poker game, so they haven't already a close attention on your hands like if you've done a card to mouth just before.

I hope to have been plain but I especially would like to show something today's magicians forget too often: Misdirection and Psychological devices are much more important than difficult sleights in the magician's job.

Thats a very nice way to do it, not what I had in mind but this will probably have as big impact as my idea. Thank you.

Dec 19, 2010
So I eventually got back to the crimp and this is what it looks like now with not so good stacking, and of course you'll have to have some imagination since im so very lonely and has no1 that can cut the cards and deal them out.

[video=youtube;KN0_1-UKzDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0_1-UKzDU[/video]

Jun 29, 2010
France
That's pretty good.

Believe me, your riffle stacking is enough deceptive for a neophyte public.

Just one thing: That's maybe nothing but you sniffed when you cut on the crimp. If it's a nervous twitch, take care about it.

Cordially, Cardeyron.

Feb 4, 2008
I think it is looking just fine. I honestly think you can follow my previous advice, follow standard table procedures, nullify the cut(use a crimp if you want) then pass out the deck as an after thought. Like, "Oh wait! you know what would make this more interesting...why don't you deal." Point I'm making is that the dealer shuffles and deals in standard play, blackjack poker ect., so what you are doing(having the spectator deal) already breaks standard table etiquette. Therefore you may as well follow standard table procedures and use standard methods to nullify the cut(crimp to a pass being one) and then break etiquette and have spectator deal the cards.

Not sure if I am making sense? Basically you ARE breaking etiquette so you may as well pick the time to break the etiquette that leaves you the most options. That time being after the cards are cut.

Also, I am not saying you shouldn't "break table etiquette," especially in a riffle stacking demo. It proves to your spectator that you did indeed stack the deck on the fly as opposed to using seconds, bottoms, and other methods.

A few more thoughts you might mull over. First, try cutting the deck one time just prior to having the spectator cut. You should have brought your crimp to the center of the deck. You will be surprised how many times the unwitting will cut to the crimp. If it doesn't happen you can still use other methods(passes or palms) to bring your stack into play. If it he/she does cut to the crimp you can just say, "You know what? I don't want to even touch the deck. You deal them."

The other thought. If you really want a routine in which the spectator does the dealing, and you don't want to break standard table etiquette, then perhaps you should ring in a cooler. That way they can do all the shuffling and all the dealing.

Dec 19, 2010
Eostresh, it might be different depending on which country your in but in Sweden its common in a serious home or club game without a paid dealer that the one with the dealer button dont shuffle or cut the cards.

Cardeyron, that is probably a twitch which I'll work on.

Feb 4, 2008
That would explain a lot. Sorry I guess we were talking around eachother. Yes, standard Poker ettiquette(at least in the US) is the dealer shuffles, passes the cards to the player directly to the right. That player may cut or check the cut. If he/she cuts it is usually done by cutting the top packet towards the dealer who then picks up the bottom packet and places it on top (completing the cut). Finally the dealer deals to the left.

Sorry for the confusion. You might still try handing them the deck with the crimp in the center of the packet. You may find they cut to the crimp.

P.S. Sweden?...Anglos....snus....I need to visit some day!

Dec 19, 2010
Make sure to go in the summer cuz its freezing cold now! Anyway good to clear that rule thing out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results