ACR Help

Nov 27, 2009
I've got a problem. When I do the "bent card" closer for my Ambitious card people catch me, or they "know how it's done". The thing is, my doubles are usually aligned almost perfectly. I use Oz Pearlman's handling from Born to Perform Card Magic, and I try to keep the card moving. Also I'm very careful when I peel the card into the deck. Do you guys have any advice or an alternate handling?

i have used this closer many times and I can honestly say I have never had that problem. It is a sound trick so the problem must be in your performance of it. Maybe post a video and I can help you more.

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
A performance video would definitely help, but from what I can tell you now:
-the double needs to be aligned perfectly, not "almost perfectly"
-you shouldn't be "careful" when you peel the card off, you should be relaxed and casual

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2011
You're probably just causing too much attention to the wrong pack. Keep their attention on the "correct" card. Maybe after you put the bent card on the pack tell them to watch the card as you slip it to the next one. Tell them to REALLY watch the card this time, causing "audio retention?" of the previous time they saw the card and then to the one on the pack. Pull the pack to eye level so they can see the bent card while the real card is waist level so focus is diverted. Then proceed with sandwiching it and popping it. Just make sure it registers that the bent card is really on the bottom pack and that it's really going in the middle of the deck or the magic won't register.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Just a few pointers with the video you posted.

The first one is a general observation you pause quiet a lot when you are doing a move. This can give the spectators the sense that 'something' is happening.

The first control that you used you completed the cut, For that move to be deceptive the two packets should never appear to touch.

What was with the twirl change, as far as I could tell it was in the routine for no real reason other than to show something cool you can do.

I would recommend looking into either a tilt or a bluff pass, for the reason the card goes cleanly into the centre and that is it. There is no need to cut half the cards a place the selection in that cut off portion.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks. The twirl change, when accompanied by patter, makes sense in the routine. For some reason I'm rather sloppy today. Usually my controls are much more deceptive, and my doubles are cleaner.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
You were moving your hands way too much. I am not a fan of the "get ready" DL. It just looks suspicisious that you're playing with the back of the deck. I honestly think if you smooth out the entire routine, no one will suspect your Braue Pop Out move.

Dec 19, 2010
I think there was a lot of good things in there and some things I would change. The single and double lifts need to look the same. As for the pop out, try practicing a more deceptive slip cut, Jason England teaches one in his riffle stacking 101.
Or speed up the whole thing and just make a simple double and put the single in the middle without a slip cut but I would not end the ACR with this.
One thing to think about is that since nothing happens after the pop out there is plenty of time for the spectators to backtrack and this is probably why they catch you on this.

Your issue is your double lifts. They are horrible. Not only is the get ready obvious, but you are controlling the cards way too much. Watch the way you turn over a single card and then compare it to the way you turn over the double. That is what you spectators are seeing. It looks like you are trying to keep the cards square, which you are. Go purchase a couple of double lift workshops. There is one on Dan and Dave and there is one here on T11. Both have great relaxed ways to turn over a double and that is what you need. Fix the double lift, and you will fix your problem.

Nov 27, 2009
I realized that my doubles need work, so I'm working on them. Thanks for the help. Usually I'm much smoother and more relaxed, I'm not sure what was wrong that day.

Jun 30, 2008
www.friendster.com
still has lots of pauses and 'tinkering' with the cards. don't perform it yet. You haven't even mastered the DL, what more for a full routine.

A small tip for the last reveal, slightly angle your deck downwards so that when it pops, it will look like it really jumps on top (it will slide a little because of the downward angle)

I'm going to repeat some of the things the other guys said.

- Your DL is taking too long to setup. If that DL doesn't work out, try and use the 'strike' (waiting for sabor to yell at me).
- Pauses. You had multiple pauses before and after the 'moves.'
- Too fast! If you look at what's happening, there will be an awkward pause and some hand fumbling, then something will happen at a fast speed. Then again, slow when the move happens, and then really fast. If you want to go with that 'fast' theme, make sure you can setup and execute your moves at the same speed.
- Slow down the reveals. When you're about to flip over the card to show it has risen to the top, flip it slowly and build suspense.
- Be loose. Try and keep your hands and the deck loose. When you're stiff it looks like you're executing a move. Everything also looks better when you keep it loose. Oh, and so will the ACR.
- Bluff Pass. I'm not sure if you always flip over the ''cards'' when you execute the bluff pass; if you do, I suggest that you stop. Keep it face down let the spectator insert their card.
- The pop-up move. Like 'sick of you' said, if you tilt the deck slightly it looks like the card not only rises, but also jumps up.

I think that's all I got....

Mehar

Nov 19, 2007
Toronto
www.BenTrain.ca
The problem is not the double lifts, or any of the technique (though, as mentioned, all if it needs work).

The problem is the routine sucks. Terrible terrible structure.

Easy fix though. Find someone who's released their version, and who understands magic- Vernon's in "Stars of Magic", Malone's on his "On the Loose" set, Tommy Wonder from his books "Books of Wonder" or his dvd set, etc- and steal the routine. Don't modify it, don't change it... until you understand why it's structured the way it is.

I'd happily provide more detail if you care.

Keep practicing, and I love that you're looking for ways to improve. You'll get there baby.

All the best,
Ben

Nov 27, 2009
Wow... this thread is OLD and it's still getting posts. I actually posted another thread somewhere with a similar topic. Anywho... thanks for the advise, even if it is on an old thread.

Apr 1, 2008
To be honest, when I have problems with people finding out how I did it,
I take them seperatly afterwards and ask them how they figured it out.

It seems stupid, but it works.

Please remember for this trick that you shouldn't be too nervous and moving too much. Spectators look where you look, so shift your attention at the packet with the wrong card. Really believe it is there. This ensures that they will shift their gaze to that packet. Why shouldn't they believe it's their card :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results