I Found this on Youtube.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I know this is out of topic, but I have been wondering this for a while. Why do you always use "..." instead of spaces?

I use them as well... they are used to signify a pause in talking... whereas if a comma were to be placed, it might be in the wrong place... It's also used to show that it's a human speaking with human inflections...

Dec 20, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I didn't really think it was crappy, boring, or painful to watch(well, maybe a little)but it was a good message. People who reveal tricks on the internet just ruins it and people will know the trick. I mean it's OK to post videos of how to do magic tricks on the internet,(infact, that's how I got started into magic. I saw a video on Youtube, saw the tutorial, learned it, and wanted to learn more.)but it depends on what kind of tricks. Know what I mean?

Jan 21, 2011
I posted a comment on this video because I think this touches a strong emotional debate amongst many magicians. The message behind this video was well received by me. It is good even if the video was somewhat lacking. It seems to me that allot of the exposers fall into two categories. The first being the modern day heckler. He wants attention for himself and uses exposing secret knowledge to further his own desire to be great and the center of attention. There is not much that can be done about this as this person does not care and if fact hopes it harms the magician.

The second is the magician that truly is trying to get people into magic. They feel that by showing you how the trick is done they are teaching you to go out and do magic for others or that you will have a greater appreciation for their skill with sleight of hand. Unfortunately I think they are missing the point. Magic is not about your skill or for that mater you at all. It is about presenting a mystery in an entertaining way, it is the feeling that you get when seeing something beyond belief. People now days feel it is about your skill and the trick or method. IMHO they are missing the point, it is about the audiences perception. When you expose you give away the mystery and turn magic into just another trick. Some of these people wish to teach because learning can be expensive and I think that is great but,as I recently learned, you can password protect your videos.

My suggestion is if you wish to teach for free then go forth but password protect your channel's video and have the people contact you to get the password. Its still free, but the casual observer will not go through even that small of an effort to gleam the secrets. Basically it does what most locks do it keeps honest people honest.

Red

Nov 27, 2010
I didn't really think it was crappy, boring, or painful to watch(well, maybe a little)but it was a good message. People who reveal tricks on the internet just ruins it and people will know the trick. I mean it's OK to post videos of how to do magic tricks on the internet,(infact, that's how I got started into magic. I saw a video on Youtube, saw the tutorial, learned it, and wanted to learn more.)but it depends on what kind of tricks. Know what I mean?

I totally agree with you these tutorials are only for dedicated magicians. This annoying kid at my school is trying to copy me doing magic and beacuse of you tube making the videos too easy to find he is preforming my tricks and giving away secrets. I would have been ruined if I didnt know cardistry.

Sep 9, 2010
I totally agree with you these tutorials are only for dedicated magicians. This annoying kid at my school is trying to copy me doing magic and beacuse of you tube making the videos too easy to find he is preforming my tricks and giving away secrets. I would have been ruined if I didnt know cardistry.

Or you could, I don't know, learn something that he couldn't find on youtube.;)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I know this is out of topic, but I have been wondering this for a while. Why do you always use "..." instead of spaces?

What zeanator3581 said, although it has been a common denominator in all my writing, I know sometimes it´s out of place, but I really don´t care since I am not a writer...thanks for the interest...

And on topic...

@ Bluespade1000

tricks from books are usually flawless against this kind of people, since he will require to find the book in order to perform it...

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I use them as well... they are used to signify a pause in talking... whereas if a comma were to be placed, it might be in the wrong place... It's also used to show that it's a human speaking with human inflections...

Sorry, but this is actually very incorrect. An ellipsis (...) is used to indicate the omission of a word or phrase that is needed in order to create a complete and grammatically correct sentence, but not necessary for the understanding of the sentence or desired nuance.

They way you describe the use of the ellipsis is the overused incorrect way in which many people fall trap to because they do not understand its actual grammatical uses.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Sorry, but this is actually very incorrect. An ellipsis (...) is used to indicate the omission of a word or phrase that is needed in order to create a complete and grammatically correct sentence, but not necessary for the understanding of the sentence or desired nuance.

They way you describe the use of the ellipsis is the overused incorrect way in which many people fall trap to because they do not understand its actual grammatical uses.

First, the use of ellipses in quotations shouldn't be used to omit a work necessary for a grammatically incorrect sentence, but should be used to eliminate words that are unnecessary for the purpose of the quotation. If the original statement is "the magician wore a top hat and made an elephant disappear" and then the quotation should be "the magician... made an elephant disappear."

Second, check out the Chicago Style Manual. Suspension points (...) are proper to use when you have a pause in speech indicating uncertainty. Suspension points are often used within quotations when writing dialog to indicate a pause or hesitancy. That is pretty much the way that Luis uses them... or so I think.

Or you could, I don't know, learn something that he couldn't find on youtube.;)

Exactly. As Luis said (and Cassen knows), that method is called reading books.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Seeing as it was directed towards people exposing, and I don't expose, I quit watching after that slide. It was going too slow, didn't really grab my attention.

Exactly. As Luis said (and Cassen knows), that method is called reading books.

Also a good way to fool many magicians, often from books they have on their shelves.

Jun 10, 2010
Seeing as it was directed towards people exposing, and I don't expose, I quit watching after that slide. It was going too slow, didn't really grab my attention.

Also a good way to fool many magicians, often from books they have on their shelves.

What's funny is I actually have a friend called Michael Taylor who does this. He likes to go to conventions just to show magicians tricks straight from Tarbell which he said he invented - they believe him 99% of the time. LOL.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results