Talent Show Set Question, Unusual Circumstances

Nov 27, 2009
I have a friend who is doing a magic for a talent show, the problem is, this would be his first major performing experience. I'm going to see if I can help him pick some tricks. So far I've got a good set with Paper Balls Over the Head, The Biddle Trick and 2 other "gags." The problem is, I need a closer. The Invisible deck comes to mind, but I don't think I've got time to get an ID and teach it before the audition. The other trick that comes to mind is 2 Card Monte. What do you guys think?

My friend is about 14 and mainly a card guy. The effects I know that he knows are close-up tricks that don't necessarily play well on stage. Also, to make things more complicated, I'm not sure how his sleight of hand is. He's been doing magic for about a year, but he's learning from potentially questionable sources as far as quality is concerned. Any tricks you recommend need to be tricks that can be performance ready in less than 2 hours.

Jan 4, 2011
How about the "Asher Twist". As far as close up on stage, just pick out a few people from the audience. I do it all the time. I have also been know to do a round talbe on stage.

Sep 20, 2009
Instead of a bunch of 'Random Effects'.. he should be focusing on doing what he knows and making them into a 'Cohesive Routine' that actually makes sense.. and adheres to his 'Character' and 'Theme'.. meaning what he wants the 'Audience' to walk away with..

Sep 1, 2007
Tell him not to audition. He's going to be like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest. He's not ready and he's not going to be without months of performing experience under his belt at the absolute minimum. Stage is a whole different monster from close-up.

Don't teach him new tricks. Don't let him audition. Just tell him to exercise some patience and start performing close-up material that he's learned from non-questionable sources (and by questionable sources, I'm guessing you mean YouTube).

Nov 27, 2009
Honestly, I agree with the advise against the audition, but I'm quite sure he won't want to hear it. I planned on warning him. I think that in this case I'll tell him that I think it's a bad idea. I know he won't change his mind, so I figure I might as well give him an extra "half leg" to continue the one-legged man analogy.

About creating a routine, all of the effects I have in mind involve paper (either actual paper or cards), so there's a connection point, and I'll figure out a way to make smooth transitions. I'm certainly planning on helping my friend with his Character and persona.

By questionable sources, I'm guessing you mean YouTube.
That, and I hear he's got some book, but I have no clue of the author or title so I can't make a judgement there, it may be really good.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I believe there was someone in this forum who did torn and restored napkin for a talent show before and it played pretty well.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
How long will he be performing? For one, like everyone has said, he doesn't sound in condition to be doing a show. For two, if he does perform, it sounds like he is wanting to do a lot of effects... I performed on stage for 8-10 minutes for around 200 people and only did two effect. Think quality, not quantity. If he does perform, I wish him the best of luck!!!

A) This has to be for stage, not close up.

B) He's not ready, but oh well....I wasn't either at a younger age, but I did it anyways and got 2nd place :p

Just have him do the snow storm. You know...put napkin in water, then with a fan make it all into confetti?

Good luck!

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
I'm doing a talent show type deal pretty soon as well, I feel like I know a little bit about stage magic from past experience. But I have one big question, who in the heck proposed the idea for doing the biddle trick for stage magic? I mean, i love that effect, but the stage is not the place for it. I would agree with the others in advising him to not audition, but if he refuses, I would give him just a couple tips:

1) Stay away from cards. Unless they are a jumbo deck, or your doing something like card on forehead (Michael Finney reference)
2) Choose something that everyone in the audience can see. Paper balls over the head would be good, actually.
3) Definitely look into comedy magic as well. The Amazing Jonathan, for example. Doing comedy magic requires very little sleight of hand skill, and I feel like it helps you develop more as a performer in general. In addition, people are not only being amazed if you do real magic, but they are also entertained by your performance. Unless your just not a funny person, you really can never go wrong with comedy magic.

Just a couple things I go by, I hope I help. Just ask away if you have any more questions I guess. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results