Kids copying me and messing up my tricks.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
BUT I DON'T NEED TO LEARN HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!! trust me this problem is not a result of my social skills. I am respected but it is not only because of magic. It is because I love to make people laugh and I am multitalented. I am involved with other things like track/field, piano. I only do magic when my friends need cheering up or whenever I am begged to. I always Interact with people WITHOUT magic. Joey is trying to expose my tricks not because I have poor social skills but because he is jealous!! One day my friends basically forced me to preform to the upperclassmen. I ended up doing a great job. the problem was the whole hallway was watching as the seniors yelled out things like, "your the best freshman ever" Or "your my new best friend". this obviously got joey jealous and instead of asking me he decided to copy me then try to expose my tricks!!

THE POINT IS: Even without magic I would have what you call "social acceptance" the problem is I cant practice my tricks in school anymore. Next time before you bash somebody on their own thread remember ask questions and dont assume I am some socialy retarded weirdo who cant get freinds.

I am afraid you are showing that is the problem...since you are giving too much deal to Joey...if it wasn`t your social skills the problem, you wouldn`t care this much...I don`t care when somebody heckles me...since the audience quickly take care of him...since I connect with them before even doing my first routine

Magic is a lot more than tricks and showing off...for what I read, you
It`s been a long time since I was heckled...even when I find guys that heckled me before...and it`s simply because I have authority and showmanship...and I think you really need to find what you are not doing...

I would stop doing magic for sometime, improve myself, and learn how to get confident not only in magic, but in life in general...confidence is also about not caring about what a dumba** is trying to do against you...

You should really take in account what baller has to say about it...

Sep 9, 2010
BUT I DON'T NEED TO LEARN HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!! trust me this problem is not a result of my social skills. I am respected but it is not only because of magic. It is because I love to make people laugh and I am multitalented. I am involved with other things like track/field, piano. I only do magic when my friends need cheering up or whenever I am begged to. I always Interact with people WITHOUT magic. Joey is trying to expose my tricks not because I have poor social skills but because he is jealous!! One day my friends basically forced me to preform to the upperclassmen. I ended up doing a great job. the problem was the whole hallway was watching as the seniors yelled out things like, "your the best freshman ever" Or "your my new best friend". this obviously got joey jealous and instead of asking me he decided to copy me then try to expose my tricks!!

THE POINT IS: Even without magic I would have what you call "social acceptance" the problem is I cant practice my tricks in school anymore. Next time before you bash somebody on their own thread remember ask questions and dont assume I am some socialy retarded weirdo who cant get freinds.
I apologize for making a blind judgement be it true or not, I do not know you and cannot really make that judgement. That is just the situation QUITE often with magicians in highschool or middle school. I'm one of the few lucky ones who can hang out with people whether I have a deck of cards or not.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

If that were true, you would not feel like you have to convince us.

Sep 1, 2007
BUT I DON'T NEED TO LEARN HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

This reaction tells me that yes you do. If you were the socially stand-up guy you claim to be, you would not be having this little e-tantrum. Don't tell me that I don't know you, kid. I can read you like a telepathic Freud.

trust me this problem is not a result of my social skills.

I have only your word to go on for that. On the internet, that's never enough.

I am respected but it is not only because of magic. It is because I love to make people laugh and I am multitalented. I am involved with other things like track/field, piano. I only do magic when my friends need cheering up or whenever I am begged to.

I'm going to cut you off right there. Those last 5 words aren't quite sitting right and I'm going to trust you to try to figure out why.

I always Interact with people WITHOUT magic. Joey is trying to expose my tricks not because I have poor social skills but because he is jealous!!

I don't like to assume jealousy as a motive because that presupposes one's social status, skill, talent, whatever. I much prefer to look outside of myself and see what the actual causal relationships are in a problem. Amazing how effective that is.

One day my friends basically forced me to preform to the upperclassmen.

This is a laugh and a half because it's such bull****. Unless they were physically twisting your arm, nobody forced you to do anything.

I ended up doing a great job. the problem was the whole hallway was watching as the seniors yelled out things like, "your the best freshman ever" Or "your my new best friend". this obviously got joey jealous and instead of asking me he decided to copy me then try to expose my tricks!!

Sounds less like jealousy and more like just general lack of respect for freshmen. It's nothing really personal. He's just a tool. And by your reactions, he knows he can keep doing it and get the reactions he wants. So congratulations. You took a minor annoyance and turned into an actual problem.

the problem is I cant practice my tricks in school anymore.

If you're as popular and talented as you say, then this should be a non-issue to you. And yet... here you are.

Next time before you bash somebody on their own thread remember ask questions and dont assume I am some socialy retarded weirdo who cant get freinds.

And here you reveal how insecure you really are. You take constructive criticism as bashing and attacking. Probably because you've never received any real criticism prior. You don't know how to take it, how to react to it. You're used to coming online and being told to buy more crap.

Also, I don't believe Baller or I ever referred to you as a "socially retarded weirdo who can't get friends" (all spelling corrected because I have some self-respect). Is there something perhaps you want to get off your chest?

Either way, it's clear you're not going to take any criticism at this point, constructive or otherwise. Are we done here?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
again, I still say simply talk to the kid and find out WHY he is doing it. Sense nobody here is a psychologist or even knows the other kid, we have no idea what his motives and neither do you right now. Your best option is to simply talk to him. Go up to him during lunch and say "Hey, I would to know why you are always trying to ruin my effects when I perform for people." Chances are he will most likely give you an answer to the question, and from there, the two of you can work out a way to properly deal with the situation.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Look, fact of the matter is, this is an extended form of heckling. Why? Because they feel CHALLENGED by you. This could indicate your attitude toward your magic. If you approach it with a "Look at what I can do and you can't" attitude, you're asking for it. And you getting angry and attempting to "best" your hecklers only worsens it.

Make your audience your friend, get to know them and they will have no reason to heckle you.

Sep 1, 2007
So you guys are basically telling me I have to just sit back and let you guys assume things about me that are not true????

Ooh, good comeback. :rolleyes:

Kid, if you were as socially competent as you claim to be, this never would have been a problem for you. I'm not accusing you of lying, just being ignorant of where you actually stand in the social pecking order. You overreacted to one guy being a tool and turned an annoyance into an actual problem. At this point, you have no one to blame but yourself. I suggest you quit your crying about how no one understands you and grow a pair. You brought this on yourself. No amount of after-school specials or buying more tricks is going to get you out of this. Just stop doing magic in school because you've already screwed the pooch on that one.

Nov 27, 2010
Look, fact of the matter is, this is an extended form of heckling. Why? Because they feel CHALLENGED by you. This could indicate your attitude toward your magic. If you approach it with a "Look at what I can do and you can't" attitude, you're asking for it. And you getting angry and attempting to "best" your hecklers only worsens it.

Make your audience your friend, get to know them and they will have no reason to heckle you.

THANKS!!!!!! I get it now. I do admit I used to show of my flourishes at the beggining of the year. Perhaps it was my fault for making him jealous. I'll talk to him

Nov 27, 2010
Ooh, good comeback. :rolleyes:

Kid, if you were as socially competent as you claim to be, this never would have been a problem for you. I'm not accusing you of lying, just being ignorant of where you actually stand in the social pecking order. You overreacted to one guy being a tool and turned an annoyance into an actual problem. At this point, you have no one to blame but yourself. I suggest you quit your crying about how no one understands you and grow a pair. You brought this on yourself. No amount of after-school specials or buying more tricks is going to get you out of this. Just stop doing magic in school because you've already screwed the pooch on that one.

Sorry I just kind of felt attacked in a way with everybody assuming things about me. so should I start doing street magic???

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry I just kind of felt attacked in a way with everybody assuming things about me. so should I start doing street magic???

Start by using regular punctuation. After that, take a break from magic for a while. Give it time and let cooler heads prevail.

And when this Joey kid is doing a trick, laugh it off, and even tell other people to watch him. He'll probably feel really happy about people watching him, and maybe actually become interested in magic. Whenever anyone says, ''omg I know what he did'', I'll say, ''Awesome, so do I!/Let's not ruin it for everyone else!"

Jan 24, 2010

Well said, and couldn't have said better myself

Well I've been fairly quiet now for a bit as I've watched this thread develop, and I'm going to toss in my two cents now for what they are worth. My advice is complete as is. You can either listen to me, or ignore me either way you won't hurt my feelings any.

Kids at school can be cruel sometimes. It's clear they just want to screw with you, and that's no fun. there have been some great recommendations given in this thread, and I do agree with some of them. Others not so much. Sure you can, as others have suggested, learn new material, but that won't solve the problem. That will just add another level of crap to it. Let's think about this logically.

Joey and his two friends find it sport to spend their time looking up how to perform your tricks online. They obviously find it amusing to harass you, so continuing to perform E or T11 material may not be the best option, since they are the most frequently revealed. However, going to books, or learning new material won't help you much either. The problem is that they are heckling you about your performances. If you learn new material you just give them new ammunition. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong about HOW it's done, so long as they THINK they know how. Get it?

Learning mentalism won't help. Mentalism is presented as a legit pseudo-science and requires character, clarity, and delivery to be made effective. Trying to claim to possess real ESP powers in the middle of having kids try and expose you won't get you the results your looking for. You'll just make their jobs easier. Honestly mentalism isn't a quick fix for poorly performed magic.

Honestly, you just need to stop performing around them, or just stop performing at school all together. Honestly, taking a year break from magic at school won't KILL you. Practice at home, in front of a camera or mirror, on family or close friends, etc. Save the performances for a later date. You have a lot of other options for performance venues than just school. Try looking into them.

BlueSpade -

The root of your problem is your social reputation. You are only known as a "magic boy" and you're an easy target. What you don't need is more magic. What you need is more respect. And to gain respect you have to have other social outlets and interests that are of higher value than just doing magic tricks.

@Baller & Steer I've read through about four pages of you two and our OP going around on this above quote, and I think you've got some strong points, dare I say it even be right. However in interest of playing the devils advocate I'm going to take a softer position with my following opinion. While I agree that there is a lack of respect being shown here I don't think your solution quite applies. We know absolutely nothing about his situation, or his reputation at school, therefore it would be wrong of us to just assume he's a social zero relying only on magic for a sense of self identity. Is it a probability? Sure it could very well be, but I wouldn't be so quick to pass that judgement based on what little I know of his situation. Text on a screen does a poor job of conveying personality, sincerity, tone, and meaning. I only have cold stale words to work with here. I think it's more of a case of audience control, environment control, and just knowing when to walk away.

That being said there is nothing wrong with reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, or other similar books. They can only help you, and as I've just said, I really think you lack an ability to control your audience, or environment.

Nov 27, 2010
Well I've been fairly quiet now for a bit as I've watched this thread develop, and I'm going to toss in my two cents now for what they are worth. My advice is complete as is. You can either listen to me, or ignore me either way you won't hurt my feelings any.

Kids at school can be cruel sometimes. It's clear they just want to screw with you, and that's no fun. there have been some great recommendations given in this thread, and I do agree with some of them. Others not so much. Sure you can, as others have suggested, learn new material, but that won't solve the problem. That will just add another level of crap to it. Let's think about this logically.

Joey and his two friends find it sport to spend their time looking up how to perform your tricks online. They obviously find it amusing to harass you, so continuing to perform E or T11 material may not be the best option, since they are the most frequently revealed. However, going to books, or learning new material won't help you much either. The problem is that they are heckling you about your performances. If you learn new material you just give them new ammunition. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong about HOW it's done, so long as they THINK they know how. Get it?

Learning mentalism won't help. Mentalism is presented as a legit pseudo-science and requires character, clarity, and delivery to be made effective. Trying to claim to possess real ESP powers in the middle of having kids try and expose you won't get you the results your looking for. You'll just make their jobs easier. Honestly mentalism isn't a quick fix for poorly performed magic.

Honestly, you just need to stop performing around them, or just stop performing at school all together. Honestly, taking a year break from magic at school won't KILL you. Practice at home, in front of a camera or mirror, on family or close friends, etc. Save the performances for a later date. You have a lot of other options for performance venues than just school. Try looking into them.

@Baller & Steer I've read through about four pages of you two and our OP going around on this above quote, and I think you've got some strong points, dare I say it even be right. However in interest of playing the devils advocate I'm going to take a softer position with my following opinion. While I agree that there is a lack of respect being shown here I don't think your solution quite applies. We know absolutely nothing about his situation, or his reputation at school, therefore it would be wrong of us to just assume he's a social zero relying only on magic for a sense of self identity. Is it a probability? Sure it could very well be, but I wouldn't be so quick to pass that judgement based on what little I know of his situation. Text on a screen does a poor job of conveying personality, sincerity, tone, and meaning. I only have cold stale words to work with here. I think it's more of a case of audience control, environment control, and just knowing when to walk away.

That being said there is nothing wrong with reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, or other similar books. They can only help you, and as I've just said, I really think you lack an ability to control your audience, or environment.

You are such a wise man!! I like the fact that you refrained from choosing a side. Very well said ,and well thought out. I think the problem is handled. Before I made this thread I told all of my freinds about how joey and his friends were messing up my tricks. After that my friends were constantly tormenting joey calling him a fake magician. I heard that joey tried to preform to the seniors and did such a horrible preformance that everybody is making fun of him now. After this he stopped revealing my tricks, and he stopped heckling me. He is still trying to do magic though. Was this the right way to make him stop?? should I allow the school to keep tormenting him and his friends ,or should I tell everybody to just leave him alone??????

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Was this the right way to make him stop?? should I allow the school to keep tormenting him and his friends ,or should I tell everybody to just leave him alone??????

It wasn't a bad way, but you should go and talk to him, maybe about magic. Maybe you can become friends and help each other get better. If he's apologetic and wants to be friends you'll not only have solved your heckler problem but found someone to practice with BEFORE you perfect your routines.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
I think it's more of a case of audience control, environment control, and just knowing when to walk away.

I agree with this sentence, William. And those skills are a byproduct of the Social IQ that I was referring to. If he could do those things he would have the social respect that we're saying he is lacking.

As for us passing judgement based on his original post; did we make some assumptions? Sure, absolutely. And BlueSpade proved our assumptions right when he said things like he was "begged/forced" into performing. People with high social value don't get forced into anything, they're the ones who set the pace. Forget his little tirade about criticism or how he didn't need to read the "How to Influence.." book, just that fact alone shows why our assumptions were correct and why Joey has turned into a huge problem.

Even with this specific issued solved, I think those who are reading this thread and can identify with BlueSpades problem should take a lot from what Steerpike and I have said. Even though this particular issued is solved because guys like Joey (who also have low social IQ) implode on their own, I assure you that BlueSpade will find himself in similar situations again and again if he doesn't resolve his social problems.

Nothing is ever 100%, but certain assumptions can be made based on certain symptoms. This is one of those times.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results