Incomplete decks and the Complete Beginner

Feb 13, 2011
I'm new here and this is my first post.

As a game night party my wife threw unexpectedly awakened a card bug that hasn't been active since my high-school & college days, I went looking for cards to play with. Ironically, the game night didn't involve any card games.

Anyway, I went digging through the house to find a deck of cards that my three young children hadn't mangled beyond use, and found a couple of nice decks of Bicycles that were ok. That is, until I figured out that each was missing a few cards.

I'm not sure why a missing king of hearts would keep me from learning a Charlier cut, but it did. Like a ringing telephone puts a crimp in romance. Now, several card purchases later I've got that problem solved, but even so when I drop a packet (which happens a lot) I have to count them to make sure they're all there.

I was wondering - anyone else have this problem? Do you have any trouble using an incomplete deck of cards?

Steve

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
There is a guy on here that I know that does that. We live really close to each other IRL and he has the same issue. It drives me nuts. He says he can just feel if a deck is missing cards.

I used to always have that problem, but I've gotten (a little) better with it. I used to not even be able to bring myself to let someone sign a card because I feel like it would ruin the quality of the entire pack. It's like having some kind of tiny speck in your drink and you then decide not to drink it at all because that tiny speck has somehow contaminated the entire drink. I now allow people to sign regular Bicycle decks and I sometimes do effects where you tear cards, but I'd never be able to do that to a custom deck. I still catch myself counting my cards after I drop them practicing though.

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
The idea shouldn't frighten you, it's perfectly normal to loose cards, I for one loose cards all the time, it's no biggie. Just accept the idea, in time, you will see what I mean.

Less cards for learning the move - More cards for practicing, 49 cards (at best) for perfoamnce
And still, you can practice the moves with less cards, because after some time, a full deck will look like 1 deck and another 20 cards, so don't worry.

I keep the jokers in my deck. So I have a fuller deck than normal. I can actually tell the number of cards in a deck by touch. For standard decks anyway. When I loose 4 cards, I get a new deck. 50 cards is a bit small for my likings. But using different decks that have different thicknesses just throws me off.

J.

Kaj

Jul 7, 2010
I don't really have a problem with it if it's maybe 5 cards or so. But I've gotten to a point where I feel that the deck is missing a card. A few pals of mine were watching me while I was showing a few tricks and moves while we had a few beers and thought it would be fun if they stole 2-3 cards so that it would make it harder for me and could screw up my tricks. But I felt it right away that all my cards weren't there and started looking down on the floor and said that I was missing some cards. At that point they laughed and gave them back to me.
But no, it's not really a problem I have to actually succeed with doing a move.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results