How to start Stage Magic

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys,

So, I have been wanting to start stage magic for quite some time. But the problem is, I don't know where to start. Like, what kind of effects to I get? How do I put a routine together? What are some good effects that fit me?

I am more into the geek/weird magic. My style is the more punk kind of style. I put some comedy into it as well. I hope this makes sense guys.

Any questions or anything that would help you guys help me, are welcome.

Thanks,

-blake.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Just look around the web until you come across somebody who has your style, then take some ideas from him and make it into your own.
Once i saw Michael Kent, i fell in love with his style, as it perfectly matches my sense of humor.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Just look around the web until you come across somebody who has your style, then take some ideas from him and make it into your own.
Once i saw Michael Kent, i fell in love with his style, as it perfectly matches my sense of humor.

alright, cool.
thanks man. so like, im kind of in the same category of Dan Sperry. i know that he is more of the gothic performer, and im not real gothic, but more the punkish style, yannno? so, it's kind of a crazy and wild magic, yet there is some comedy twisted in there.

Just to note, the Goth movement came out of the punk movement. Goth was a subclass of punk originally, and still is in many ways. Though i'm sure there are some romantic goths that would argue that point. Anyways...

It's okay to look at other performers for inspiration, but don't take the easy road out and copy them, style, looks, effects and all. Building a stage act takes a lot of time, and cash. Also there's a lot of theater involved.

You can get started by doing your research into types of effects that can be played for a larger audience. Once you have a list of effects that read well from the stage, you can begin scripting your show. Stage shows are NOT like "street magic"! They have a very clear beginning, middle, and end. There is a theme, a story, and a character.

Just about any effect can be made to fit your style- what ever it is, you just need to create a patter that works for you. Best of luck to you.

alright, cool.
thanks man. so like, im kind of in the same category of Dan Sperry. i know that he is more of the gothic performer, and im not real gothic, but more the punkish style, yannno? so, it's kind of a crazy and wild magic, yet there is some comedy twisted in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results