Greetings and a question of morality.

Feb 12, 2011
Hey guys, I am new to the forums but I have been a magician for a few years. I am proud to say that I love this art form and have found it even more rewarding when I create new tricks and can fool others into thinking that they have seen real magic. Now often I have found that simple magic is the best kind of magic for various reasons that I think all of you know. My question is because simple magic is used by many magicians and some tricks that are sold on places like t11 and Sankey magic (while amazingly clever) are simple as well, I sometimes while watching videos of jay sankey for instance I will accidentally or just by thinking it through a little bit discover how the trick is accomplished, is it right or moral for me to use this knowledge I have gained in my tricks or use the trick itself without buying it? I just dont want to harm the really amazingly talented people that took the time and the genius to create these effects. However at the same time I wonder if my ability to discover the way the trick is done means that I earned (as long as I do not reveal it) the secret. Once again I am just wondering because I do not want to steal another magicians work especially when I can only slightly grasp the efforts involved.
Thanks guys!

Sep 11, 2010
Well, if it is an idea, you shouldn't necessarily buy it. However, if it is a sleight, to properly learn it, I highly encourage you to buy the product.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The trick is only a small part of the performance. I believe you can use the method if you figured it out by one look through however, you should really make your own performance. I would not however go hunting to figure out the method.

Sep 1, 2007
When buying a product (IMO) you are not only buying the effect, method, dvd, what have you, but you are buying the right to perform someone else's work. Anything that isn't original that I perform, I buy, whether having been shown the method, figuring it out, etc. This, to me, is how it works and it also promotes good, useable, workers.

Cheers,
Lucas

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
In terms of morality, this is how I generally look at it:

If you are going to perform the trick for money, then it is morally just to give the creator of the trick his due. Obviously in a performance, you won't tell your spectators the name of the trick and where to find it. Therefore, the best way to give credit where is due is to buy the effect.

Just my 2 cents.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If the effect is worth performing (for profit or otherwise) then it is worth buying. Even if you figured out the method by watching the preview, you didn't come up with the "concept" and it is the "concept" that makes you want to perform the effect.

Feb 12, 2011
Thank you all for your kind advice. I am thinking about trying to get a trick published by t11 and I am realizing the work that is put into it and your advise will help me to treat other inventors the same way I would like to be treated... again thanks a lot guys.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results