DRESSCODE :: Complete Review

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Hi guys, today I'm going to review Dresscode by Calen Morelli (this guy rocks!).

The Effect:

As we can see in the preview video, this is killer. You just turn around, and the T-shirt, shirt or whatever you are wearing, changes. It's obvious that during the change you need to wear a jacket or something, but if you don't mention that detail, the audience won't even notice.

The Gimmick:

REALLY CLEVER. Can't expose (obviously), but I have to say that it's amazing. You won't receive a shirt that's already gimmicked, you'll receive a little ziplock bag (as with SMOKE) with the stuff you need to construct your own tricked shirt. I've read a lot of threads in the forums asking if it's necessary to ruin a shirt to build the gimmick, and yes, you need, but I wouldn't say "ruin", I would use "spend" instead. It's really worth breaking a shirt to be able to perform this effect.

Wearing the Gimmick:

You need to wear a normal shirt and the gimmick at the same time, can't say more not to expose. Even if it sounds unconfortable, it's not. Its really like wearing just the normal one. I once wore it for about 4 hours before executing the change, and I forgot I was doing so for a while... Believe me, really comfortable.

Once you've done the trick, you still have it worn, but in a different way. Once again, really confortable. I was amazed with this comfort.

The DVD:

t11 quality. Amazing quality. But all the t11 DVDs have that quality, so I'll talk about the content of it, instead.
Street performances are included, so you can see real reactions. Very cool.
Calen explains everything with a lot of details, he's a great teacher. The basic change is broken down step by step, and some additional ideas are given, such as the trick with the names we can see in the preview or how he uses his "coke" t-shirt as a revelation. He also helps with some common issues you can have (in fact. I had!) and explains how to make the effect look more convincing (he explains how to execute the change with some sunglasses on the shirt).

The Price...:

This is f****** cheap if you take into account the reactions you'll get! I'm sure that other websites would have charged us more for it.

CONCLUSION:

This is an amazing effect that you'll easily perform. It's really worth buying! Check it out: DRESSCODE

Effect: 9/10
Difficulty: 3/10
Comfort of the gimmick: 8/10
DVD quality: 9/10
DVD contents: 9/10

TOTAL: 9/10

Check out my reviews of Daniel Garcia Project or Smoke. New reviews coming soon (Jay Sankey stuff, Luke Dancy stuff...)

Thanks for reading!

Aug 31, 2007
you are right this effect is amazing, and the reactions you get are just out of this world. If anyone is even considering weather this effect is worth it, then you cannot be serious about your magic one bit. Its that good, period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 6, 2010
Explaining the gimmick that way might be seen as exposure "Once you've done the trick, you still have it worn, but in a different way." because that is one of the mysteries of the trick that appeals to people .. where did it go? By answering that big question, you are giving people a leap to bounce on to try and figure out methods. I own Dresscode, so I do know that the likely hood of someone coming up with the exact gimmick is unlikely, but you never know....

The quality of the Theory11 DVD´s has gone down for some reason.
Since the leaving of Dana Hoaking the whole production has landed on Andrei Jikh.
They should for the sake of better camera angles get two cameramen. I hated the moving of the camera.
Also they struggled to get a few shots clear and ended up showing a few fingers on the top and bottom of the frames.
Although not to at all criticize Theory11´s efforts i feel that the goal to "Shoot it a hundred times until we get it right..." as said by Dana Hoaking has left the building with him.

Again no intent of accusing T11 of being lazy or anything, they think about many different aspects to which some don´t even bother to look out for but as a person who has seen the start and been with this place since then i feel it´s my duty to speak out on these rare occasions.

M.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I guys agree with you, but I don't think I've exposed the gimmick at all, since Calen says that the jacket can be examined...

Sep 15, 2008
Quick question. Can I start off wearing a T-Shirt and "change" that into a dress shirt with tie?

Also, can the shirt that will "appear" be tucked in?

Thanks for the help!

- Frank

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Yes, you can! There are hundreds of combinations with different kind of (T-)Shirts... There's a video in the media section, search for DRESSCODE FORMAL VERSION or something like that. Hope it helps!

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Hey guys, just a quick note to let you know I'll be reviewing the DRESSCODE 2.0 (aka Formal DressCode) in a few days, be sure to check it out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results