What do you say about this

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Okay, so you make a prediction and put it in their hands.

And then you have them freely select a card.

Then it's put back in the deck.

And then you show that they match.

Without seeing how much interaction you do with a spectator during the trick I can't really say anything, the effect by itself is weak.

There is absolutely nothing new here. And I really don't get what you want feedback on. How do we know you're not just picking out the correct card?

Seriously, magic on youtube without a spectator is one thing, but what is the point in doing mentalism without a spectator?

Like RikAllen said, without seeing how you do this with a real person, no-one can give you good feedback. The effect is just non existent.

Rev

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Okay, so you make a prediction and put it in their hands.

And then you have them freely select a card.

Then it's put back in the deck.

And then you show that they match.

Without seeing how much interaction you do with a spectator during the trick I can't really say anything, the effect by itself is weak.

For you maybe... hahahahaha

The power behind any effect ISN'T the trick but the manner by which a performer presents it.

I loathe card tricks, especially when used in Mentalism BUT, I will lay money on the fact that I can floor people doing exactly that. I'm a showman and that's my job!

Rick Maue shared something with me several years ago as a kind of "Magic Therapy" -- find an effect or method you hate and develope at least three routines that use it, that you would do in an act.

I detest the Center Tear, I think it's one of the most ignorant, transparent, immature techniques in the business and yet, I have three routines that I will do that rely on the method. NOT because I make up some kind of ignorant excuse for forcing people to write in one particular spot on the paper but because I've managed to make it logical to tear the slip to bits after the fact; telling them that I am going to destroy one of the two or three slips in play, ahead of time.

DUMB or BAD Effects only exist in the hands of someone unwilling to put some effort into transforming that perspective in their own mind; they have essentially refused to see beyond the surface which is why that very same handling or even the same trick, will stump them time and time again when used by those not so "constricted".

For you maybe... hahahahaha

The power behind any effect ISN'T the trick but the manner by which a performer presents it.

Isn't that what RikAllen said? In the last line of his post he states that the effect is nothing without seeing how he reacts with the spectator. I'm taking this to mean, the effects is weak if you don't present it properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we all seem to be in agreement here. I don't doubt that with the right presentation, even a simple card force can be powerful, and I don't think anyone in this thread has said otherwise.

Rev

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Isn't that what RikAllen said? In the last line of his post he states that the effect is nothing without seeing how he reacts with the spectator. I'm taking this to mean, the effects is weak if you don't present it properly.

While I did say a presentation would make the effect, I think the structure could use some work. Overall it's not bad (after re-watching) there is just one point that makes no sense at all to me. If there are no switches or palming then the card that was touched doesn't need to go back into the deck. Overall the effect could be quite strong, in the right hands, and I actually kind of liked Craig's laugh, came off very mad scientist, and the exercise (Rick Maue's take an effect one) is great advice so I'm actually happy if there was a misconception-I got to learn something to try out in the future.

And now I also know I'm not alone on the Center tear (as it is used most often). Write something down! wait...let me tear it up and burn it...In the right hands, for the right people...I don't know I always thought it was see-through too, but it's one of those moments where your attitude towards the billet will determine the spectators attitude (casual and indifferent = indifference from everyone.)

At the end of the day if your spectator says 'I wrote something down...and then he told me what it was!' as opposed to "I was thinking of ______ and he freaking read my mind!' then you're doing something wrong in the first place. How did you do that? vs. How did you know that? Pretty sure I stole that directly from D ICE R or Prae (or both) but it's a great point, and the difference between mentalism and mental magic (or magic in general).

As for the card trick and a prediction, I think the best prediction with a deck of cards would be a spectator shuffles and you pull out a second deck and then show they match card for card. Not quite mentalism, but a strong effect. I'll let the mechanics work out the handling, ringing in a cooler shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

and finally @Malik, you've got a decent effect, it could be made stronger with a better build up and presentation. Try performing it for a few people and see how the reactions go, and that should tell you more than any magician on a forum can. If they react the way you plan for them to, then it's a good effect, if it's not what you're going for-attempt to re-work it or decide to scrap it.

This is why I never ask about my own effects, my spectators tell me all I need to know about their strength and whether or not they need a little work or if I need to start over completely.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results