Best Chemical for the Invisible Deck

Aug 14, 2010
If this thread is exposure, please shut it down. I just want to ask what is the best chemical for making an invisible deck? I use petroleum jelly. Thanks!

Dec 26, 2009
Since I am sure this thread will get closed I will just say this, they sell roughing spray at Wal-Mart. It isn't called roughing spray, but they do sell it. What's funny is the can even says "magic" on the label.

might be exposure, send me a pm tho and we'll talk about it.
cause petrolium jelly? never heard of that being used.
also, if you check out art of card splitting by martini, or roughed by craig petty they both talk about the chemical to use.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Most magicians including myself use Testor's Dull Cote. It is a spray on adhesive that can be found in most hobby shops and such for about $5.00 a can.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Most magicians including myself use Testor's Dull Cote. It is a spray on adhesive that can be found in most hobby shops and such for about $5.00 a can.

Survey says.... #1 Answer. Although it is not an adhesive but a dull clear spray paint. Just a note, use in a well ventilated area away from open flames. Also apply in multiple very light coats. Too much at once will warp the deck.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hair Spray has been a long standing substance but I'm trying to understand why the heck anyone would use Petroleum Jelly? Then again, I'm trying to understand why no on else has questioned said ignorance before me? But again, I'm dumbfounded as to why such a need exists, I've had Invisible Decks that I've used steadily for years and NEVER had to re-treat them. . . I'd typically replace the deck long before such a need would arise. Given the headache of re-treating them or worse, making your own deck, I simply can't see why roughing or smoothing is an issue in today's world.

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. Petroleum Jelly works well too.

Im sure it works fine with regards to grip, but I dont think id be comfortable having a spectator turn over a card with petrolium jelly on it? I never turn the card over myself, it's more powerful when they do it.

Aug 14, 2010
Yes I promise you. It's never wet and they never notice it. Only put a little on the back of 1 card. Don't put on the sides. Just in the middle.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Craig is also correct in that "some" hair sprays will work pretty darn good...almost as good as the Testor's Dull Cote when applied correctly. Just "mist" it over the cards from about a foot away and allow it to dry properly. Rather than try many different hair sprays...just buy the Testor's Dull Cote.

Reality One is right. It is not an adhesive more of a clear spray paint. I make my decks outside in the garage or on the driveway. Don't do it on a windy day though or the cards blow everywhere and you are cussing up a storm and look silly chasing cards across your driveway and lawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2009
Reality One is right. It is not an adhesive more of a clean spray paint. I make my decks outside in the garage or on the driveway. Don't do it on a windy day though or the cards blow everywhere and you are cussing up a storm and look silly chasing cards across your driveway and lawn.

That image made me laugh...Almost as much as petroleum jelly for an invisible deck. Almost, the only thing I can think about what petrol jelly would do is make cards slicker.

But enough banter about that, I find it help to press the deck in either a clamp, under a bed, card press, whatever after you treat the cards.

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try the testor's dullcote? I just have another question. What's the quality of the Aldini Spray? Thanks!

Dec 26, 2009
OK. Since we are talking about Testor's Dull Cote and the thread isn't being closed I will go ahead and name the spray I use. At my Wal-Mart they don't sell any model car stuff anymore. I went back to buy rubber cement one day and saw "Plaid brand Clear Acrylic Sealer Matte finish". It is a matte finish clear cote for drawings or paintings. It works perfect. The can is 6 oz. and cost about 5 dollars.

This has nothing to do with an ID but, there is also a glossy finish clear cote that I have not tried to mess with yet. I am thinking with the aid of that spray I may be able to re apply finish to cards that I gaff myself.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I make my decks outside in the garage or on the driveway. Don't do it on a windy day though or the cards blow everywhere and you are cussing up a storm and look silly chasing cards across your driveway and lawn.

I tried it in the garage once, with the door open, on a windy day. Same result.

I find it help to press the deck in either a clamp, under a bed, card press, whatever after you treat the cards.

That is definitely necessary. However, you can cut down on any potential warping by applying the spray lightly and using multiple coats.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Or you can simply save yourself the hassle and just buy a new ID when your old one gets out of shape. They're only like 9 bucks or so, and if you can afford to buy new Magic DVD's each month, then spending the 9-10 dollars on a new ID every blue moon isn't going to break the bank.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results