Roundtable Discussion - Calen Morelli + Blake Vogt

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
It's been a whirlwind month of production behind the scenes here at theory11. Partly due to completion of Genesis v2, but also following an action packed shoot in Las Vegas with Calen Morelli and Blake Vogt.

Unless you've been living under a rock these past few months, you're likely already familiar with Calen via Dresscode, Transit, and his 365 Days of Magic. We're also joined this evening by the fresh mind of Blake Vogt. Blake is a close friend of Calen, based in Indiana and currently enrolled at Purdue University. You'll be seeing a lot of him in the weeks ahead. ;)

Tonight we'll be engaging in an interactive discussion. That is, you'll be asking the questions. Yes, you! Submit your questions for Calen and Blake in this forum thread on or before 11:00pm EST tonight. We'll select the best of the best questions, and we'll answer 'em in a podcast to be posted late this evening.

Ask anything you desire - with questions across the spectrum of the creative process to Dresscode to performing to what's up with Blake's upcoming T&R. Did I just say that out loud? Oops! You have 2 hours and 30 minutes to get your questions in. Don't miss this opportunity to gain valuable advice and counsel from two of magic's brightest young creators.

One random member who submits a question this evening will take home Dresscode and Transit, shipped on the house. And listen closely to the podcast... we just may have a surprise guest...

UPDATE :: The podcast has officially been posted! Listen in here and be sure to stay tuned all the way to the end for a special surprise guest!

Sep 11, 2010
The special guest is probably Andrei. My question for Calen is if he is going to release a DVD for the 365 project effects.

Mar 6, 2010
Who were your biggest inspirations in magic, and how have you applied your own style to creating your own tricks and a whole new genre in this very fine craft?

Dec 27, 2009
Do you create effects while playing around with things or do you know what you want to do and then you think about the method?
How did you come up with the idea of the 365 days project?

C

Cardmaster211

What is the main thing that inspired you to create Calen? And how did you make sure the effects had impact on the spectators to get nice reactions?

May 31, 2010
How hard is it to make a new effect every day for a year? Does it take a lot of commitment and brain power? How did you come up with the effect Dresscode?

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Calen -

1. Got Magic?

2. Since your now almost half way through your 365daysofmagic project. What is your status so far, have you had any changes in perception since the last discussion, do you find creating tricks has become harder/easier. Why do you think so?

3. Of all the effects you've posted on your blog so far which would be your personal favourite.

BLAKE-

1. Considering you've been in Vegas with a whole bunch of creative dudes and dudettes, Do you and find that, being around them (or any other creative people) makes YOU more innovative?

2. What are your other interests/hobbies besides magic. Do any of these help you improve your magic in anyway? (Just curious)

3. Do you plan on taking up magic as a career?

Thats about it.

Really looking forward to the releases.

- Jenai

ATH

May 1, 2010
Calen: When you create effects, do ideas just come to you or do you already have a goal in mind and try to create that?

Also, do you ever get "writer's block" and if so how do you get around it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
It is said creativity can't be forced, so my question is to Calen... Are you forcing creativty for your 365 project
(like I'm going to invent a color changing pen today) or do effects and ideas just come to you at any given time? Which ever it is, it's very impressive!!!!

englandzilon

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
How do you manage to get the mind set of thinking magic is like a form of art and create stuff off the fly.
What is your first magic trick that you see makes you get into magic.

cheers.
daryl.

Jun 22, 2010
I would like to know your thoughts on when it comes to creating a trick. Do you think of an effect then try to create it or do you just do it by accident or anything like that?

Dec 11, 2010
bronatopia
this is for both of y'all:

what do you think the most important aspect of magic is for the magician? the spectator?

and how, can we as magi, accomplish this?

Calen, how do you come up with all your effects for 365 Days of Magic? I know you use previous effects sometimes, but like do you talk to friends (normal friends and friends who know some stuff about magic), just stumble upon good ideas, or something else? Also, do you usually seek an effect or do you see something and think that'd be a cool trick?

Edit:
Well it seems while typing people asked parts of mine already.

So, I've got another.

Another one for Calen. What has it been like getting into the magic industry as a creator?

And now one for Blake. What made you want to release your TnR? When did you first create it/think of the method to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
This is for Calen...

...Do you like to perform or create more?
...and if you had to choose one or the other, which one would it be?

To Blake...Looking forward to seeing what you got.

James from Indiana

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Calen:

With your project how is the stress of creating something new for each and every day? I know you are passionate about your magic do you ever feel that get some form of 'writers block'? In a similar vein do you feel that a new idea every day leaves many of your ideas a little rough and lacking that something special to make them into fully fledged routine more so than just ideas and concepts?

On an aside I am very impressed by your creativity.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results