A Rant on Magic Clubs

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Hmmm...Definitely NOT how a magic club meeting goes...not around here at least. Usually, a few of us show up early and hang out. The meeting starts and they do some teaching for maybe an hour on whatever the subject may be (strolling, gigs, gaff coins, etc.) Then, we have a break where a card is passed around for whoever wants to sign up to perform at the end can do so. Once the break is over, they do their bits of business and then those who sign up get to perform. After, most people leave but a few of us stay a while longer and just chat magic and help each other out (well more so Danny helping US out lol). It really is cool, and I don't see anything wrong with them

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I replied on one of the other sites you spammed this link to, but a different setting requires a different reply.

T11 caters to a significantly younger audience who could use the guidance of real-world magicians. Posting that here really not cool at all. Like human beings themselves, different magic clubs have different personalities. Chasing young people away from clubs in a failed attempt at humor and self-promotion is a very questionable thing to do.

Whether you realize it or not, you have also just shown yourself to be a person who chose to contribute nothing to increase the value of your local clubs, but instead chose to mock them. Maybe your club is not the failing party in this situation.

-Andrew

tjf

May 23, 2009
I'm confused. Entertainment purposes for who? You?

I wasn't entertained. I actually felt quite the contrary. AndrewJ hit the nail on the head, IMHO.

Edit: After reading your twitter posts, I see you're a young guy who thinks he's better than others. Case in point: "KrasMagic What's worse than seeing someone awful? Seeing someone awful that doesn't know they're awful." or this re-tweet "The awkward moment when you have to laugh because somebody claims they are better at something that you are the master of."

Don't look down on others unless you're helping them up. I'd say your attempt at humor has backfired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Different strokes I suppose. I now remember why I seldom come to these forums. People here are at the stage where they take everything too seriously.

It's a humor blog. Certain people find it funny, certain others wish to pick a fight. Come on guys, you've got to be able to laugh at yourselves at some point. I poke fun at negative magic stereotypes, that's all.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will say joining my local magic club 3 years ago was the best move I made in magic. I have grown tons both professionally and as a person. Yes there is time for fun and games but there is also a business meeting that is to be properly ran with old business, new business, treasurer reports, etc. Our club is about 30 members strong and constantly growing.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Michael, in your defense for those of us in clubs I do see some of the humor in it because most of what you wrote was true. Thanks for the read by no means was I offended.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results