TG Murphy deck flip HELP

Nov 19, 2010
when i do the flip my index finger makes the bottom card fly out of the deck how do i fix this please help

Jun 1, 2009
Use your finger nail in flicking the deck so that it would reduce friction. You need less friction
That...and more practice. As soon as I saw the title I knew your problem. We've all been there, it's just practice.

Jacob

Sep 1, 2007
USA
practice practice practice... also... you could perform an under pressure and then do the deck flip. this way the cards stay together better? more easily? better? hmmmmmmm......

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Remember to drop your hand slightly while flipping it. This combined motion makes the flip go more smoothly and more quickly as well.

Sep 20, 2010
Malaysia
Maybe try not digging into the bottom of the deck as deep as how you're doing it now might help. Also, when flicking the deck use your fingernail. Like they said, it really helps.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
If you do what everyone else said and practice and it still does not get any better. Then you could always work the spectators card to the bottom and do the flip and out comes their card...just say'n

Good luck to you...I have the same problem.

Dec 26, 2009
This is no help to the OP but I have never had the problem with the bottom card flying off of the deck. When I first learned the deck flip I was practicing it constantly and one day, about 2 months after I first learned the deck flip, I performed the flip and the top card flew like 100 mph over to my right. It took a lot of work but I figured out what I was doing wrong and figured out how to do the top shot when I wanted to. I have used the TG Murphy deck flip with the top shot as part of my ACR and as a stand alone effect.

If you want an idea of how to turn your mistake into an effect I added my patter below.

Patter for my stand alone effect is something like this: Card handlers, over many years, have "evolved" to have something called finger tip memory. Finger tip memory, I explain, is how card handlers from the old west all the way to the card handlers of today are able to cheat so easily. Just by touch we can tell exactly where certain cards that we have already touched are in the deck. The entire time I am riffling up the back edge of the deck and dribbling and springing the cards. I also explain that me dribbling riffling and springing the cards is my way of locating their card. When I "locate" their card I explain to them that their card is about 27th from the top then I riffle again and correct myself by saying its 29th from the top. I ask them to name their card and when they do I perform the deck flip and their card flies over to my right hand face down. Reveal and watch their face its a pretty good reaction.

EDIT: If this is exposing anything please edit. I figured since this is my original patter, as far as I know, I would be able to post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2010
California
I had the same problem, the solution I came up is this.
Put your deck in your hand in the position for the deck flip

Now lets say that this is your middle finger
l <<<<finger tip (top portion)
l <<<<middle
l <<<<bottom
--] <<<< Palm

When the deck is in position make sure that when you are gripping the deck, your fingers is not gripping the whole side of the deck

Imagine the first column is your middle finger and the second column is a deck of cards.
This is how it should not look like
ll-----l
ll-----l
l

try repositioning your fingers so that it is only touching the tip/top of the deck. (so when your index finger is not curled up underneath the deck the majority of cards will fall (this is what it should look like, once again first column is your fingers, second is the deck of cards)
ll------l
l l------l
l

Now place your finger underneath the deck so that it will not fall and try doing the move again.
Im not saying that this will work for you, but this is how I solved the problem

Aug 27, 2012
I had the same problem. Try the knucle closest to your index finger's nail and kinda/sorta throw the deck up ever so slightly as you do the flip. With practice you will lower and lower how much you have to throw the deck up. Also try making it flip slowly first and then work it's speed up. This is what I did to fix that same problem. I hope it helps you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results