muscle pass a must?

Jan 14, 2011
as above.
and im picking coins to start to learn coin magic
im using ringgit malaysia 50 cents
(google)
should i change and go get some usd?(half dollar)

Aug 31, 2007
if your gonna get any shells etc i would get some us half dollar. i think you would be hard fetched finding Malaysian shells. is muscle pass a must..... not really. its fun to learn if you like a challenge!!!!

Jan 19, 2009
in some cases muscle pass is to show off your skill and can also be used a comedy trick as in 'do as i do' and then complain when they cannot do the trick. i use the muscle pass a fair bit in walk around magic (mainly with family and friends at the moment) but i don't think you 'need' it

however if you have nothing else on you apart from one single coin and someone asks you do to some magic you could do some vanishes then say ..... 'i manage these because as we speak gravity is shifting...watch'....BAM muscle pass that baby :)

hope this helped :)

Jan 14, 2011
ah okay..
thanks
so do you guys only use half dollar?
I'm thinking of starting with half dollar then buying artifacts from Ellutionist cause they are sexy

I just picked some up but I am not sure what to compare them too since I a new to coin magic. They have a nice size and weight, my only complaint would be that the edges are rounded and too soft. Especially with my sweaty hands, they just keep slipping.

Jul 21, 2009
Townsville, Australia
I recommend david roth's dvd tbh over metal. I love metal but david roth's dvd's are great. Well do u want to use gaffs with ur coin magic? If so i'd just get Kennedy halves. The artifact coins are more like new toys for magicians more then anything else, even though the toy doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Jan 14, 2011
not planning gaf at least for now
cause the shipping to here is insane.
I live in malaysia btw. :D

it took me rm 5 just to get one half dollar ... -.-

Aug 17, 2010
A muscle pass is not necessary. It has uses aside from the "coin falling upwards" like an acquitment and a click pass, but there are other ways to do these.

You can use any coins you like, and if you really want, there are craftsmen who can make custom gaffs for you - Todd Lassen, Jamie Schoolcraft, Roy Kueppers, Tango, Auke Van Dokkum, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

Jan 14, 2011
too bad its to expensive to ship here...
and i mastered the muscle pass
now just need some height
and doing the coin roll
i have no magic yet
:O
using a kennedy half

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
If you want to get more height out of the muscle pass, try substituting a poker chip for the coin. If you've been learning with any metal coin, the poker chip will give you more height. That said, keep practicing with the coin, because it looks better.
As to the query about artifact coins, I have a couple, and while they do look really nice, they don't really make anything easier, and they look suspicious right off the bat because of their uniqueness, so if you're just starting out in coin magic I wouldn't recommend them.

Dec 11, 2010
California
muscle pass is not a must but you will amaze people with it without a doubt.

I think it was worth the 5 weeks for learning it. (3 for 1 hand, 2 for the other)

Apr 4, 2011
Hey there @snowguy2068,

As a fellow Malaysian, i personally use 50cent do muscle pass, and i think there is no need for you to go for those US half dollar though. Practice it, eventually you will get the height.

Currently, as for me, i will be using Yannick Chretien's idea with muscle pass.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I think the muscle pass is worth it.

I recently got it down to a performable level and there are some pretty amazing effects that use the muscle pass. It can be used for sleeving, topit ditching, appearances, penetrations, and more.

I've been using the muscle pass for the Stenberg Penetration that was in MAGIC in 2003.

You use the muscle pass for a coin through spectators hands.
( I do this after using a R. Paul Wilson idea for passing it through your own hand)

It passes the girlfriend test and not a lot of effects do that lol.

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
You should optimally use the coin that is the best size for you in whatever currency is natural to where you are performing. The muscle pass is a useful sleight, as described by Blindside. The most commonly seen use is the anti-gravity coin, but if you use that application I would suggest not just doing it as a standalone effect, but rather put it in a routine so that it makes sense.

Nov 29, 2010
I don't feel the muscle pass is necessary, but it definitely has some amazing uses if you think a little bit outside of the box. If you are new to coin magic though there are other sleights that should take priority over the muscle pass.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results