EMC shipping DVD's to Retailers

Sep 1, 2007
i think its kind of bs that emc is now available to buy from dealers and is listed as "in stock",when the people who actually registered are still waiting and left in the dark.

i had an email last month saying shipping soon but thats it.

surely marco or luis can find a moment to update the website, its been months since any news on there.

has anyone ,who actually attended ,recieved theres yet?

thanks guys

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure how I feel about them being sold wholesale in general. I signed up to watch some exclusive ideas I couldn't find anywhere else. And now it's for everyone, why'd I sign up? To watch it live? Either way, I totally agree, im still waiting on mine and I just got an email advertising them sold on vanishing. I better get mine soon or it'll be really unfair to be disadvantaged by having signed up for the actual conference.

Sep 1, 2007
yeh i got the vanishing inc email.theres no question about the amount of time and effort that the emc team put in,and it is truly appreichated , but post emc they dont seem to bothered.

i mean they were suppose to edit the videos into caterogies, post bonus pdf etc.

i just hope the dvds come this month or i will not bother attending this year,

laters guys

yea i didnt attend, but dont feel that this is quite right. maybe they should put out retail videos of magic-con and other conventions.
oh yea they wont. why would they do this with EMC. they didnt make enough money or something?

Jun 10, 2010
The site never imposed a clear deadline on registering, ONLY a time at which the live lectures would be held. Nowhere have I seen info regarding EMC that says it's going to be a secretive thing. So crying about how it's being stocked by big retailers is just that - you crying. Without much reason, at that.

Sep 1, 2007
arvindj what country you from?and did emc give you any confirmation that your dvd set was shipped?

thanks

Sep 1, 2007
noone cares the dvd are being sold by retailers,my concern was them getting the DVDs before the original attendants and the lack of communication emc have provided since.

saborfang did you actually register for emc?

Sep 1, 2007
The site never imposed a clear deadline on registering, ONLY a time at which the live lectures would be held. Nowhere have I seen info regarding EMC that says it's going to be a secretive thing. So crying about how it's being stocked by big retailers is just that - you crying. Without much reason, at that.

valid, if the other conventions mentioned that their convention would be a secretive thing. The expected standard is that they ARE going to be a secretive, you'll only get the info if you show up, type of thing. If you're going to deviate from the "standard" there should be some sort of notification.

oh, and from the official website "Register to attend today - access passes are limited." What does this suggest to you?

As Chris said, other conferences don't do this, so why would EMC do this?

arvindj227, it's a matter of principle, not price.

arvindj what country you from?and did emc give you any confirmation that your dvd set was shipped?

thanks

I'm from the Netherlands. Since it's shipping from Portugal, I guess the guys in Europe get it first. And no, there is no confirmation that it was shipped although I did see messages in general that they have been shipped. You should be getting yours anytime now.

Dec 26, 2009
I'm not going to lie about this, I am pissed that the DVD set is available through other websites before the people that were registered got their sets. Don't get me wrong I can see them selling them to retailers but not before we received our sets. I think they could have done something like Conjuring Arts does with their cards, after the 2011 EMC is over they should release the 2010 DVDs to others who were not registered for 2010. Doing it this way, IMO, would have been a little more classy and less problematic. I know what they would argue though, You have had plenty of time to watch them both live and streaming. Three problems arise from that statement. 1. As far as watching it live goes I got mandated to work double shifts all three days that weekend and I only got to see a few minutes of the stuff live. Granted others may not have been mandated but I know a ton of guys that only registered only to get the DVD set. 2. The DVD set was supposed to be shipped out to the people that registered for EMC by the end of December. So its kind of crappy that we have had to wait another 3 months to get these DVDs. 3. Streaming videos SUCKS!

As I said above the DVDs were supposed to be shipped by December. Since July 2010 there have been 2 emails from EMC regarding the DVD set. The first email was sent out toward the end of July and it stated that the DVD set would be shipped out and on our doorstep by the end of the year. The second email was sent on February 2nd that was titled, "the DVDs are almost here" and stated in the email that "Shipping is imminent." I also emailed EMC in late November to see when the DVDs would ship. I received a reply on January 18 that said, "we hope to take delivery of them (the DVD set) in the second week of February. After this they will be sent to all our members."

Seriously though, we did get access to the streaming video, had the chance to watch it live and we got the DVD set for half the price they are selling the DVD set for, but the thing that pisses me off is the fact that, in theory, I can order the DVD set from Penguin Magic and I KNOW that it will get to my house in 2 days.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I can see how you would be upset if someone who paid twice as much as you did got the DVDs a couple of days before you. I mean it's not like you could watch the videos anytime you wanted over the EMC website for the last seven months. Oh wait, you could watch them anytime you wanted. Nevermind.

For the timing, just realize it takes less time to send 500 copies of the DVDs by overnight courier to Penguin than to ship 5,000 (or whatever number) of copies to the United States and then have them mailed to each of us.

As for the "this was supposed to be exclusive" so they shouldn't sell the DVDs... seriously? Do you still believe that Theory 11 is underground? Take a look at the DVDs you can buy at any magic store... a lot of them are lectures done at magic conferences or the same material that was taught at the conference.

I'm all for the conference being distributed to as many people as possible. First off, there is a lot that magician's can learn about how to present your magic from that conference. That makes better magicians which is a good thing. Second, at $150 for the DVDs and the nature of the material (more presentations than how to do the effects) only serious magicians will buy the DVDs. Third, and most important, it might help them continue doing the conference.

Remember, the amazing thing about EMC is that it was broadcast over the Internet live. We were able to chat with each other as well as the lecturers / performers. We were able to ask questions for the Q and A sessions.

Yeah, the communication from EMC could have been better, but the bottom line is that they got the DVDs out and they will be in our mailboxes in a couple of days. I'm looking forward to this year's conference.

maybe they should put out retail videos of magic-con and other conventions.
oh yea they wont.

Some companies do. I have a bunch of International Magic lecture DVDs that were recorded at the International Magic Convention which is held in London every year (and I have attended for the last three).

In fact, when I was younger, I had VHS tapes of magicians lectures recorded at conventions. So I don't get why you're so annoyed. It's not like this is something new and odd that no other convention organiser would dare do

If they choose to record and sell on recordings of the convention then that's their choice. It's not like it's anywhere near as good as being there any way, but I guess that's what you get for attending a convention on the internet rather than going to an actual one and meeting people.

Rev

Sep 1, 2007
just wanted to make sure everyone knows how amazing the emc was and everyone should have experienced it live.

the only thing i cared about was seeing the dvds in stock at retailers and not hearing anything from emc in ages.

it seems the dvds are being shipped to the original attendants of emc, a friend of mine received his today.hes from the uk.

so hopefully you guys get yours in the next week or so.

all the best guys

I'm not going to lie about this, I am pissed that the DVD set is available through other websites before the people that were registered got their sets. Don't get me wrong I can see them selling them to retailers but not before we received our sets. I think they could have done something like Conjuring Arts does with their cards, after the 2011 EMC is over they should release the 2010 DVDs to others who were not registered for 2010. Doing it this way, IMO, would have been a little more classy and less problematic. I know what they would argue though, You have had plenty of time to watch them both live and streaming. Three problems arise from that statement. 1. As far as watching it live goes I got mandated to work double shifts all three days that weekend and I only got to see a few minutes of the stuff live. Granted others may not have been mandated but I know a ton of guys that only registered only to get the DVD set. 2. The DVD set was supposed to be shipped out to the people that registered for EMC by the end of December. So its kind of crappy that we have had to wait another 3 months to get these DVDs. 3. Streaming videos SUCKS!

As I said above the DVDs were supposed to be shipped by December. Since July 2010 there have been 2 emails from EMC regarding the DVD set. The first email was sent out toward the end of July and it stated that the DVD set would be shipped out and on our doorstep by the end of the year. The second email was sent on February 2nd that was titled, "the DVDs are almost here" and stated in the email that "Shipping is imminent." I also emailed EMC in late November to see when the DVDs would ship. I received a reply on January 18 that said, "we hope to take delivery of them (the DVD set) in the second week of February. After this they will be sent to all our members."

Seriously though, we did get access to the streaming video, had the chance to watch it live and we got the DVD set for half the price they are selling the DVD set for, but the thing that pisses me off is the fact that, in theory, I can order the DVD set from Penguin Magic and I KNOW that it will get to my house in 2 days.

Ummmm... How about considering that the organisers have to pay thousands of euros for shipping those DVDs worldwide? Don't you think you're asking too much for only 75$?

Besides, if you're too awesome to watch the sessions online you can always log in to your EMC account, download them on your computer and watch them off the Internet. I keep all the sessions on my iPoodle.

Apr 1, 2009
California
am I still able to register and get it for the 75 dollar price or is it too late for that and have to get it via retailers for twice the price?

Dec 26, 2009
I can see how you would be upset if someone who paid twice as much as you did got the DVDs a couple of days before you. I mean it's not like you could watch the videos anytime you wanted over the EMC website for the last seven months. Oh wait, you could watch them anytime you wanted. Nevermind.

For the timing, just realize it takes less time to send 500 copies of the DVDs by overnight courier to Penguin than to ship 5,000 (or whatever number) of copies to the United States and then have them mailed to each of us.

Anyone who spent the money to attend EMC should be upset that other people that did not attend are getting their DVDs before we have. We were told by EMC that we would be receiving our DVDs 3 + months ago. Granted we can stream them over the internet, but like I said before, "Streaming videos SUCKS!" Have you ever tried to watch an ondemand video over cable DSL? It's near impossible. So for the people that can not watch the videos online and missed the live conference, it is BS that we have not received our DVDs before these retailers.

Ummmm... How about considering that the organisers have to pay thousands of euros for shipping those DVDs worldwide? Don't you think you're asking too much for only 75$?

Besides, if you're too awesome to watch the sessions online you can always log in to your EMC account, download them on your computer and watch them off the Internet. I keep all the sessions on my iPoodle.

First of all, EMC = non-profit. So the cost of shipping should not even matter. I am sure my $75 covered the cost to make my set of DVDs and the price for shipping.

Next, I am not asking too much for the $75 paid to EMC strictly because THEY said the conference would be released to us on DVD. THEY said the DVDs would be at our doorsteps by the end of 2010. THEY are the ones that have had crappy communication with THEIR customers. THEY are the ones that told the customers what we would receive. I did not send them $75 and demand a set of DVDs. THEY told me we would get them and THEY said we would get them in a certain time frame. The time frame has long passed. It is 3 months + passed when they originally stated we would be getting our DVDs. If they were unsure of being able to get the DVDs to the customer in that time frame then they should have never given a date.

EMC dug their own hole for this one and IMO they are just digging it deeper with every step they take.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results