Houdini vs Thurston

Mar 14, 2011
Houdini. Escape artist
Thurston. Illusionist
Asking who wins between them is like saying who is better, a juggler or a ventriloquist.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
There's no comparison, Houdini was a carney and presented most of his stuff in that style, his whinny voice rambling on and on forever, blowing his own horn. Thurston on the other hand, was a Gent and a very refined showman with a true "Miracle" show. He and Blackstone, Sr. were seen as a threat to Mr. Ego (Houdini), so much so that he would not play a city if either show had been there within the previous six months, if I'm remembering right.

Houdini likewise "borrowed" items from the warehouse of certain competitors; there's a famous story about Blackstone's escape trunk that came up missing only to be found in the Houdini warehouse after his death.

Old Harry was a great promoter, but unlike Thurstone and Mr. B, chances are close to nil that he'd make it in today's world where raw showmanship and talent come into play.

There's no comparison, Houdini was a carney and presented most of his stuff in that style, his whinny voice rambling on and on forever, blowing his own horn. Thurston on the other hand, was a Gent and a very refined showman with a true "Miracle" show. He and Blackstone, Sr. were seen as a threat to Mr. Ego (Houdini), so much so that he would not play a city if either show had been there within the previous six months, if I'm remembering right.

Houdini likewise "borrowed" items from the warehouse of certain competitors; there's a famous story about Blackstone's escape trunk that came up missing only to be found in the Houdini warehouse after his death.

Old Harry was a great promoter, but unlike Thurstone and Mr. B, chances are close to nil that he'd make it in today's world where raw showmanship and talent come into play.

I agree with how you describe Houdini, but wasn't most of Thurston's act stolen as well? Pretty sure I read somewhere that Thurston's act was bought from Harry Kellar who was notorious for stealing other peoples effects.

I also remember hearing a story about Thurston where he would do a levitation and then invite a kid on stage to see it up close. All the audience would see was a look of shock and wonder on the kids face and applaud as appropriate. What they didn't realise was that the kid could see the wires holding the person up quite clearly at that close distance, and the reason for the look of shock on his face was due to that fact that Thurston, as he lifted the child, whispered to him 'Touch those wires and I'll f***ing kill you!'

A gentlemen indeed...

Plus, you comment about needing raw talent and more than good promotion to make it these days.... well I would just say turn on the TV, watch something like 'The Simple Life' and then tell me that's the case...

Rev

Houdini. Escape artist
Thurston. Illusionist
Asking who wins between them is like saying who is better, a juggler or a ventriloquist.

Except for the fact Houdini also did a great deal of magic. In his early days he was a card guy (got the poster to prove it!) and later on in life he did a full magic show where he, amoungst other standards, made an elephant disappear live on stage.

In fact, Houdini wanted nothing more than to be a magician. Escaplogy was just his way of promoting himself and making an extremely good living. He desperately wanted to be a magician, but he just wasn't that good a 'magic' performer. His demeanour was far to aggresive and egocentric, unlike Thurston or Carter or Blackstone, who were all very elegant and charming (on stage at least).

God I do love my magic history, think I probably like it more than actually doing magic.

Rev

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
God I do love my magic history, think I probably like it more than actually doing magic.

Then you have to read Steinmeyer's The Last Greatest Magician in the World. From the sounds of it, you've read Hiding the Elephant. If you liked that, you will love The Last Greatest Magician in the World. You can even get it iTunes.

Its funny in that there are so many things I've read regarding the history of magic in Hiding the Elephant and The Last Greatest Magician in the World that have parallels today.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I agree with how you describe Houdini, but wasn't most of Thurston's act stolen as well? Pretty sure I read somewhere that Thurston's act was bought from Harry Kellar who was notorious for stealing other peoples effects.

I also remember hearing a story about Thurston where he would do a levitation and then invite a kid on stage to see it up close. All the audience would see was a look of shock and wonder on the kids face and applaud as appropriate. What they didn't realise was that the kid could see the wires holding the person up quite clearly at that close distance, and the reason for the look of shock on his face was due to that fact that Thurston, as he lifted the child, whispered to him 'Touch those wires and I'll f***ing kill you!'

A gentlemen indeed...

Plus, you comment about needing raw talent and more than good promotion to make it these days.... well I would just say turn on the TV, watch something like 'The Simple Life' and then tell me that's the case...

Rev

Kellar named Thurston (actually groomed him) to be his successor, a far different scenario. But most of what Howard would later become known for came from Sielbit's workshop (and a good deal was actually built by Dante, who was a very skilled carpenter for the day and did tech work for Thurston prior to taking out the European unit of the Thurston show... there were three Thurston Shows; The main show with Howard, a B-Unit with his brother Harry (later hosted by Will Rock), and the Eurpean unit hosted by Dante -- I think there was one other related unit, can't recall but "Tampa" comes to mind).

The Harry Thurston show contained the "originals" to everything that Howard would make improvements on for his mega show, the one that Copperfield, Mike Caveny and a few others now possess. This show went to Will Rock and then in 1953 to Kirk Kirkham, who just happens to have been working for Blackstone, Sr. at the time and who was likewise my primary mentor.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results