New Effect I Created

Apr 25, 2010
Hey what's up guys

I just posted a new effect on my youtube channel and was wondering what you guys on here thought about it.

here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtOuXTWABw

Also all of the items used in the video can be borrowed and the effect can also be performed 100% impromptu. Thanks
I look forward to seeing your opinions
- Ariel

atinfinity

Elite Member
Dec 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure Rich Ferguson's This is Mentalism teaches the way you forced the number on the calculator.

Yea looks cool. i think i saw somethin like this brian brushwood did. good little routine tho. i almost think the routine might be almost too much. or you are missing something. what makes the lines move? and why do you need to have the dollar? why not just have the paper change?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Also all of the items used in the video can be borrowed and the effect can also be performed 100% impromptu.

Actually, they can't and it can't. Simply put, you can't perform the effect with a pad of sticky notes, a dollar bill and calculator that you borrow from me without having done anything prior to the effect. Could you do the set-up on the fly? Maybe, but it is would be very difficult.

Now, I'm of the mindset that the words "impromptu" and "borrowed" and "can be examined" should be removed from the magic marketing vocabulary. Mainly because those terms are too often used to mislead. But also because the fact that something requires set-up or a switch or ending dirty doesn't make a difference to the spectator because they don't see any of that.

That being said, it is a good use of the principle that Rich Feurgson teaches in "This is Mentalism." Although that isn't were you learned it, I suspect your friend who taught it to you got it from there (either directly or indirectly). I like the idea of the calculated number being on the bill.

I also agree with ChrisWiehl in that the double reveal doesn't add anything to the routine. In fact, I think the double reveal makes the spectator think that what they have seen is more of a trick than magic. That is, if the number appears on the sticky note, you must have known it before the effect. It is all too perfect.

Finally, there is no real justification for why the effect happens in your presentation. Did you influence them to select certain numbers? Did they notice the numbers on the bill subliminally and just happen to type the numbers that equaled what was on the bill? Maybe you could type in the last number and attribute the effect to you ability to memorize numbers and do math (Harry Lorayne used to teach memory classes and impressed the students by forcing a card and then looking through the deck and naming the one card that was missing).

Aug 1, 2009
Awesome idea! Although I agree with a large majority of what RealityOne said. When you have both the dollar and the sticky note it makes it more a trick than a piece of magic. Hopefully you know what we mean. I like the effect where they type in any number and its the same as the serial number. But, my idea would be to take it a step further. Ask for a borrowed bill and crumple it up and do any switch you want and than ask them to hold onto the bill. (I would simply to flying shuttle or something simple) (No need to run if you're not being chased) That I think would make it stronger.
Also, come up with a justification for doing what your doing. When creating an effect ask yourself "Why?". Why am i creating this? Why should people care? Now already one problem solved would be its THEIR dollar.... They are going to care because they are literally personally invested. Now why bring out a calculator and why do the numbers match? I'll leave that up to you.
But with all of this being said (sorry for the length) it is an amaing effect and can be a very very strong piece of magic. Great job with this and keep it up!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results