Controlling a Card

Nov 3, 2010
Hey guys i wanted to ask you something about controlling a selection to the top and bottom of the deck.

Do you guys think it is a bad thing using any sort of palm in a control or side jog in a control to the top of the deck , if so why do you think it takes away from the control ?

I feel that most people who buy a control that looks good and fooling will not perform it if it has some sort of palm or a way to conceal a selection . Some people think that it is to risky and not worth trying if it has a method like so and i wanted to know what you guys think about concealing a card under your hand for a card control and also if you guys think that a way of hiding a card ruins the control?

Jun 10, 2010
Hey guys i wanted to ask you something about controlling a selection to the top and bottom of the deck.

Do you guys think it is a bad thing using any sort of palm in a control or side jog in a control to the top of the deck , if so why do you think it takes away from the control ?

I feel that most people who buy a control that looks good and fooling will not perform it if it has some sort of palm or a way to conceal a selection . Some people think that it is to risky and not worth trying if it has a method like so and i wanted to know what you guys think about concealing a card under your hand for a card control and also if you guys think that a way of hiding a card ruins the control?

I'd love to talk to said "some people", because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

Just to be clear, the line of reasoning that hiding a card ruins the control is utterly stupid, because no matter what, that's what you're concealing from the spectator - the fact that the card is being controlled.

Personally, I really could care less. As long as it does the job and it flies without suspicion, it doesn't matter.

Dec 11, 2010
California
Normally when I control a card I use the classic pass.

The reason as to why I stay away from palming a card is because my hands are a bit small so when I palm there is always a portion sticking out, not only that but it also tends to bend the card. So when you place the card back on top, it will show the bend.

Will most people notice the bend? I guess not, but I still avoid it.
Do I palm the card occasionally? Yes I do, but not for a control, only when I am moving the card to my pocket or I have the spectators shuffle the cards.

Although I do use the side steal once in a while since it is a fairly clean move.

So to summarize, IMO there are better ways of controlling a card rather then palming.

Mar 11, 2011
I am with sabor fang on thins one. If it looks great, and fools the audience, do it. As for the people who are too nervous to actually try it, well they just need to practice more. Like any slight, it takes a lot of practice, and you just have to do it.

Feb 7, 2011

People who diss a control for those reasons are just making excuses. Simple as.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I have no problems with controlling the card using some form of palm.

I personally do not use it for the sole reason I have so many other controls that don't need it that look fairer and have better angles.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results