Why is Cardistry still a niche Hobby?

Feb 20, 2011
Ok, the thing about the ultimate goal has a point.

But I don't know, I practise to perform and it really is fun to amaze people like that.
But as said before, what really makes me curious is that somehow a lot of people are like 'damn, if you wouldn't do that, you could be really good in school' or 'are you doing anything else than playing around with your cards' instead of 'what the heck show me how its done I want to do the same thing' or like that. The only move that gets reactions like this is the Spring, or the anaconda, but I rarely perform those at the moment, because I want to put the attention to the other moves.

Mar 9, 2011
Norway
Ok, the thing about the ultimate goal has a point.

But I don't know, I practise to perform and it really is fun to amaze people like that.
But as said before, what really makes me curious is that somehow a lot of people are like 'damn, if you wouldn't do that, you could be really good in school' or 'are you doing anything else than playing around with your cards' instead of 'what the heck show me how its done I want to do the same thing' or like that. The only move that gets reactions like this is the Spring, or the anaconda, but I rarely perform those at the moment, because I want to put the attention to the other moves.

I don't understand.. Everyone of you says that no one cares, and everyone thinks you have problems.
Everytime i show someone a move their like "WOW!" and "Show me how to do that" and "how did you do that".
Ether you must do something wrong, or you perform for the wrong persons.

Feb 20, 2011
oh, I think most likely the wrong persons :D
many people in school know me as a card geek for almost a year now and so they've kinda seen the journey, that may be a problem...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and just say that I think cardistry isn't catching on very well because people don't care about it. Why should they? I don't think its an art, but thats not the point. I think you can make it "artistic" but few people do. When its not artistic it might be cool, and shocking that someone has that kind of dexterity and skill, but then they move on. People are really amazed by "cup stacking" but unless you're someone who is pursuing that skill, or in cup stacking competitions, few people are really into it even passively.

Most cardistry has no soul. Thats my opinion. People can't relate to it.

Someone asked why its not catching on like parkour did, with help of the internet. Parkour (even though its still very obscure and most people think parkour is something other that what it really is and have a false definition) is something people can relate to and it has a soul and also a very deep philosophy. I know this because I am a traceur and practice parkour in New York City. Its speaks so people about freedom and their potential as human beings, and it is also an extremely practical skill set.

Good Magic has a soul and speaks to people and inspires them.

I think the problem is that cardistry (such a pretentious name) isn't catching on because it does so little for people

P.S. Would you call HACKY SACK AN ART?

If you want it to catch on as an art form then you need to start performing it for people OTHER than magicians. Make the public care, otherwise you're doing nothing more than attempting to impress a very small niche audience.

As steer said, go out and perform. If you MUST video tape yourself for bragging rights, then do it in front of a live audience.

Mar 4, 2010
Cardistry is a special art, even though it is visually beautiful it is hard to entertain people with more than an hour because for them the concept is the same: "He is doing crazy things with card" and wether you are doing jackson five, pandora, or any other flourish it is only packet movings( for the layman) however I found that you can build your persona on this , I found daniel madison who does it very well. Unlike magic it has the advantage of not asking people if they want to see something, you are just playing with cards whilst sitting at a table. If people tell you like get a life or find yourself a hobby, just do like its no big deal and tell them dude i'm just fiddling with cards. Make it look easy for you, in life it is essential to use deceit, don't make it look like you spend a lot of time on it. Just establish a persona of a card guy that has a nervous habit of playing with them, also saying ur a card cheat is really well looked upon as EVERYBODY knows the dangers it comes with and danger is COOL!

Mar 4, 2010
What the hell are you talking about? "It has no soul" "It isn't an art" "Pretentious name" . First of all an art is not based on the size of the audience, it isn't because parkour is catching on that it has become an art, it was a very art at the beginning. Lighting a lighter can be an art, thats the beauty of art, it can be anything!! And CARDISTRY as such is as art that is infinite, beautiful, difficult, clever, original. Is origami an art? Of course, art can be anything and everything as long as it takes somethings and morphs it from ingretients(In this case a deck of card) to beautiful! Before talking about thing you don't understand think about it.

Sep 1, 2007
Lighting a lighter can be an art, thats the beauty of art, it can be anything!!

Let me point out the flaw in that logic: I just took a massive dump. I'm serious, this thing was a perfectly formed masterpiece of the human digestive tract. You cannot begin to imagine the magnitude of this dump. Now are you going to give me a grant to make some more of these?

Before talking about thing you don't understand think about it.

It's funny you should say that because you're trying to sound like a Dadaist, but it's not going well because I have this feeling you don't much if anything about the Dadaist movement. Is that ironic or is it just shadenfreude?

Jul 30, 2009
Cardistry is still a niche hobby because there are too few people that do it good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2011
ok, first of all this whole "it is an art" - "it isn't an art" is nor really important in my opinion. It's just a label and doesn't do anything about the situation itself.

Let's say, for arguments sake, we call it no art but rather a skill.

Still its a nice, pretty cool, beautiful or elegant skill, depending on your personal style. Furthermore there are some pretty nice videos on youtube that everyone can watch, but really nobody other than magicians show interest in.
BUT WHY?
Do we look at cards that much differently that "normal" people can't see the beauty?
Since the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, are we coming to the conclusion that or sense of beauty changed as we picked up the deck for the first time?
I really don't believe that this is the case. It's more likely that there are, what some have already pointed out, too many forum kids and too few "real" performers and so too few people have been inspired by this art :(

Sep 1, 2007
Could not have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!

You do not need to assault us with punctuation, and if that's really the best way you could express your opinion, that's depressing.

I am still trying to figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing though....

No, you've already made up your mind because you're a damn kvlt kiddie. You've ignored my questions, asserted that card manipulation having a breakthrough would make it boring, and are now just resorting to obnoxious "me too" behavior.

The very fact that you actually considered it might be a good thing that most of you are a bunch of socially incompetent YouNoobs who couldn't perform for a live audience to save a burning orphanage is enough proof for me to decisively label you as a kvlt kiddie.

It's more likely that there are, what some have already pointed out, too many forum kids and too few "real" performers and so too few people have been inspired by this art :(

Exactly. And nearly every single person posting in this thread is one of those self-important, ignorant webcam jockies. I have yet to see a serious performer who is not me post in this thread, and I don't even count because I don't perform card manipulation.

Seriously kids, go out there and perform. The big yellow thing in the sky, the day ball? It's not going to hurt you. You're not going to fall up into the sky. And here's a real shocker: most people are not *******s! They're not going to attack you or try to cannibalize you. Believe me when I say that everything will be okay.

Nov 27, 2010
You do not need to assault us with punctuation, and if that's really the best way you could express your opinion, that's depressing.

No, you've already made up your mind because you're a damn kvlt kiddie. You've ignored my questions, asserted that card manipulation having a breakthrough would make it boring, and are now just resorting to obnoxious "me too" behavior.

The very fact that you actually considered it might be a good thing that most of you are a bunch of socially incompetent YouNoobs who couldn't perform for a live audience to save a burning orphanage is enough proof for me to decisively label you as a kvlt kiddie.

Exactly. And nearly every single person posting in this thread is one of those self-important, ignorant webcam jockies. I have yet to see a serious performer who is not me post in this thread, and I don't even count because I don't perform card manipulation.

Seriously kids, go out there and perform. The big yellow thing in the sky, the day ball? It's not going to hurt you. You're not going to fall up into the sky. And here's a real shocker: most people are not *******s! They're not going to attack you or try to cannibalize you. Believe me when I say that everything will be okay.

Aww how very predictable....the first sentence of your response is a useless insult that proves absolutely nothing.

Of course I would ignore your questions. In fact, I ignored your whole post. I have been looking through many old threads for months finding you harshly insulting other forum members ,because they had opinions just like any other human in this world. Also,I remember you breaking up ,and rudely responding to a post that stated how you violated the forum rules.

I preform cardistry everyday believe it or not. I preform on the train, outside the school ,and even in the store just to let you know.

Geez, I'm 15 give me a break. I have been doing cardistry and magic for only 4 years. I don't know everything about these artforms yet ,but I share what I do know. You are one of the smartest members on theory 11 ,but you are by far the most abrupt. If I say something that makes no sense to you then all I ask is that you respond in a respectfull way.

I am not resorting to some obnoxious "me too" behavior. I just read through many other posts and I am learning more about the veiws of other people.

Sep 1, 2007
In fact, I ignored your whole post.

And yet... here you are. Telling me these things instead of putting me on your ignore list actually goes to show that love me or hate me, I get results. Your feelings are largely irrelevant to me, I'm more interested in getting results. And to do that, I have to be tough.

I have been looking through many old threads for months finding you harshly insulting other forum members ,because they had opinions just like any other human in this world.

Not all opinions are created equal. If I see someone say something remarkably stupid, I will say so. Opinions are not carte blanche to say any nonsense that pops into your head and expect a high five. This is something that you and others here could stand to learn.

I preform cardistry everyday believe it or not. I preform on the train, outside the school ,and even in the store just to let you know.

You also said that you perform your card manipulation strictly as a gimmick to get the crowd to come over and watch your magic. To which I would ask why you do not instead juggle? Or sing? Or break dance? Or any number of other things? You say want card manipulation to be taken seriously as an art, yet you do not treat it as such in your performances. What conclusion am I supposed to draw?

If I say something that makes no sense to you then all I ask is that you respond in a respectfull way.

I give my respect to those who have earned it through their actions. I was raised to believe that respect has to mean something more than the courtesy to not go around coldcocking everyone who looks at me funny. Respect that is given freely without having had to earn it first is worthless.

@Steerpike

I try and read you're posts thoroughly with a neutral view. But I do have one question? Why do you get your point across in an angry tone instead of a kind tone?

I don't mean for this to sound ''whiny'' in any nature.

Mehar

Sep 1, 2007
I try and read you're posts thoroughly with a neutral view. But I do have one question? Why do you get your point across in an angry tone instead of a kind tone?

What incentive would someone have to follow my advice if they already believe they have my approval? Most of the talk around here is just mindless fluff, endless praise. Disagreements are nasty, hurtful things to be avoided at all costs. I can do more by stirring up a hornet's nest than by joining in the group hug.

Besides, I don't like magicians enough to want them to like me.

Nov 27, 2010
And yet... here you are. Telling me these things instead of putting me on your ignore list actually goes to show that love me or hate me, I get results. Your feelings are largely irrelevant to me, I'm more interested in getting results. And to do that, I have to be tough.

Not all opinions are created equal. If I see someone say something remarkably stupid, I will say so. Opinions are not carte blanche to say any nonsense that pops into your head and expect a high five. This is something that you and others here could stand to learn.

You also said that you perform your card manipulation strictly as a gimmick to get the crowd to come over and watch your magic. To which I would ask why you do not instead juggle? Or sing? Or break dance? Or any number of other things? You say want card manipulation to be taken seriously as an art, yet you do not treat it as such in your performances. What conclusion am I supposed to draw?

I give my respect to those who have earned it through their actions. I was raised to believe that respect has to mean something more than the courtesy to not go around coldcocking everyone who looks at me funny. Respect that is given freely without having had to earn it first is worthless.

First of all, I don't love you or hate you. Believe it or not I look up to you just as much as I look up to Draven. You may be rude sometimes ,but I must admit that your advice and criticism is really usefull sometimes.

I never said I strictly use cardistry as a bait for magic. I said I usually use cardistry as a bait to show people magic. I am actually starting to preform these arts alone because about an hour ago I read that cardistry and magic should not be preformed together. It turns out that doing cardistry with magic sucks the "magical" experience from the preformance ,beacuse the audience would just think of the preformer of a trickster who is good with cards.

I have a question for you, do you think cardistry should be more known or do you think it is better as an unknown art?

Sep 1, 2007
I have a question for you, do you think cardistry should be more known or do you think it is better as an unknown art?

More exposure is always good in the long run. This is why I talk about kvlt kiddie syndrome with such vitriol. Shunning a chance to reach more people and garner more exposure suffocates an art. Think about rock and roll for example. It was originally created by black musicians and didn't reach the charts until Elvis Presley came onto the scene. But if not for that, we may never have seen some of the great rockers like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple and the astronomical effect that they had on Western music.

There really is no benefit to keeping card manipulation obscure. That way leads only to stagnation, stultification, and a slow death.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results