Why Do Cardistry?

Jan 16, 2011
Hello all,

Recently, I've been wondering, how does someone want to start cardistry? Do they just see it and want to learn? Or is there something more? So, this question is directed to everyone: Why did you start cardistry? Were there any problems along the way that made you stop for a while and start back up again?

Please reply!!!:)

Feb 20, 2011
I started with Cardistry as I had a broken leg. Since I could do anything then, I watched a lot of Films and after "Smokin Aces" I decided to try it out myself. Since then I'm just playing around with cards all the time. (That was about 8-10 Months ago)
What fascinates me about it is first of all, that you can take something as simple as a deck of cards and perform miracles.
It is just crazy, just think about it, what a beauty hides in 52 cards. You can fan, spring, throw, cut, juggle, .... and there are literally no boundaries.
If you have learned two moves, you can combine them, you can add some other little thing and it looks completely different.
I often wonder, how many moves there are to defy the laws of physics. This art is still so young and there is so much left to be discovered. And even after only ten years, there is a vast number of moves and a lot of styles. No performer looks like any other.

The Problem is that it is, especially in the beginning very hard and often very frustrating to learn a new move. And I at the moment have to devide my time between school and cardistry/magic, wich means I can't be good on either :(
With cardistry its like with juggling: Many people stop at the doorstep. A lot of people can do a basic 3 ball cascade, but very few go beyond that. In cardistry, many of my friends can do a basic version of the fan, but thats it. They have not been bitten by the bug like me :( But that makes me the cool guy on the other hand :)

I stopped with cardistry after about 2 months after I began, because my leg was healed and I just wanted to be outside, doing sports and stuff and I didn't have the ambition to invest several hours every day to learn new moves.
Then, about a months ago, I played poker with a few friends and it just hit me again.
I just did some moves and it felt very good. As I came home I dug out my cards and here I am. Back in the scene, doing some moves, learning some new, refreshing the basics, getting further.

The only problem I'm facing is my final exames in 2 months. Just not that much time besides school at the moment.....

just some thoughts from me, feel free to tear it to pieces ;)

Mouseff

Dec 11, 2010
California
Although I am not really someone who does alot of flourishes because... well lets face it some take a LONG time to learn especially if you do not have the "right hands" for it. I would rather spend more time on card slights then on flourishes.

BUT I do practice flourishes. I do some various cuts (including some that I made up) that falls under the category of flourish, I know some things in the Genesis Vol. 1, and like 3 cuts from the system dvd by the bucks. I can do the one handed cut, and the revolution cut. and many more.

I got into cardistry by seeing the buck twins do their crazy amazing cuts. I said "wow thats sick, I gotta learn some of those"

My Opionion Overall on Flourishes:
Learn them, You dont have to be amazing and memorize everything on genesis vol.1&2 and the trilogy series including andthensome, but I do believe that flourishes has its benefits.

Some benefits:
Handling of the cards - learning flourishes will make you more comfortable with the cards.
The reactions - lets face it, it is called flourishes for a reason. If someone sees you shoot a card out of the deck and catch it in the other hand that they will be amazed and compliment you.
The catchiness? - yes i just made up that word. In other words when people see you doing flourishes randomly they will come up to you and ask you if you do card tricks. This has happened to me many times. I would be at a fast food joint and do a simple card spring and someone walks up and asks if I do card tricks, I say yes and they ask to see one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results