What do you think?

JohnShack

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello All,

Well, I'm not 100% sure how exactly to start this thread, so I suppose I will just state first off, I am Burned Out!

I have been learning magic since I was three years old, I will be twenty here soon, so that makes roughly 17 years of magical experience, I feel as though I have come to a brick wall.

I perform stage and close up magic and I am in the process of developing a new act which I am to debut around May of next year, with that said my Final performance till the debut will be May 21st. Then I'm planning on leaving to join the army national guard, I have been considering just starting fresh, I love to create magic, as well as perform, but I sort of feel like it has taken control of my life, which has in my opinion cut off a lot of my creativity.

So what I am considering doing is just completely stopping practicing and performing magic after my last performance, I'm hoping this will give me a fresh outlook, and provide an opportunity to get the juices flowing again.

So basically I'm wondering what do you guys think about this?
Do you ever feel the same way?
If so what do you do in times of "magic block"?

John

I personally think its a good idea. The art will always be here for you when you are ready to return. Hopefully once you are ready to return, you will have a fresh renewed interest. Take some time to explore other areas of interest.

Aug 31, 2007
unfortunately i went through the same thing a couple years back. all i suggest is take a break and dont force the issue. enjoy other things if need be. if it takes 2 months or 2 years then so be it

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I took a 5 year break from magic, when I came back I loved it even more. Not saying you have to stop for as long as that but if you're burnt out then stop for a while and do other things.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm going to approach this question in a slightly different (a little bit more philosophical) way... I know some people have chosen a different path to me, but this is my opinion. Mentalism is one part of my life. It's a decent part of my life. It's not the biggest, by far, maybe 4th or 5th down on my list of priorities. I personally feel that magic shouldn't dominate your life - no matter how much you love it, even if it's your number one priority in life. I extend myself into as many different areas of life as I'm interested in - and I feel that people who do so become more interesting people to be around.

That's why I hated reading the advice recently from a very well respected flourisher, I think (I forget who it was), who advised that you should always have a deck of cards in your hand. I think that's terrible advice, but only because of my view on life. I think that being so engrossed in one thing, while it may make you the best, it also limits your world. Too many people as it is bury themselves in magic to address social issues. I would hate talking to someone who always had cards in his hands. Apart from being distracting, it makes it far too easy to categorise someone. Even when it comes to the number one or two things on my list, I do not let them engulf my life. I have too many skills and interests to cut other things off. Again, I can't remember who it was who gave that advice - and if you see this, I will simply say that this is my personal opinion about life only - not about the flourisher in question.

So in my mind, I think it's a great idea to take some time off magic, if only because it allows you to explore other things.

That said, this is my view on life. There's another (equally valid) school of thought where some people feel that being a magician is quintessentially who they are. I'm not one to question people who feel this way, except to exercise my right to say that I personally disagree with it and find it one-dimensional. It is not any of my interests or passions that define me, but the combination of all of them in harmony.

JohnShack

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
That was pretty deep ha, Thanks for the advice guys, The only thing I worry about is my current success, I don't want it to dwindle. My hopes are that when I proceed, I will have a new perspective and appreciation, thanks again guys!

John

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Even if you're successful, if you don't feel creative or otherwise up to it, chances are it will only be temporary... That said, I should have mentioned before, congratulations on your debut! I would only add that it would only be worth re-considering if a major opportunity came of it. Break a leg :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results