Simple Magic

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com

A couple of things...

1. Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here, as there are many magicians who are willing to help you out along your path.

2. The front riffling action for the ACR is too much, as in it is so distracting I kept on thinking "please don't riffle the cards like that again" when you made it pop up to the top the 2nd time.

3. There is audio, but you aren't talking? You probably do this live, but you need patter if there is audio in the vid.

4. When you bend the card, you quickly swipe it off to the other packet, like it's a dramatic moment. Slow down your movements, and make it smooth; it will be a lot better.

:)

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
i just wanted to say that i strongly agree with comment 2 and 4

well, i guess now that i read them i agree with #3 as well.

keep up the good work

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I would also like to welcome you to the forums! I hope you'll enjoy it here; everyone's nice and helpful... for the most part :)

When you did that big riffle, I had to pause the video because I laughed so hard. I don't understand why that would be so intense when you've been going so slow.

I'm not a fan of people putting the card in the middle in the back of the deck, it doesn't look fair.

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Welcome welcome.
As everyone else said, the riffle was a bit much. The thing I noticed was your speed. You slowed down and sped up at the wrong parts. It's important to utilize tension and relaxation, but maybe not to such extremes. Just let the effect flow better and pause for the "magic moments".
Other than those, the sleights looked good and clean. Just work on your non-covert movements.

Simple Magic is the Best magic! nice Doubles they look good. There was some one that said to treat the cards like a living breathing thing I forgot who but It is good advice. Treat the cards with simple smooth moves makes it easier to watch.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Huge improvement. The patter was good, just try to not say what you're doing ALL the time. The rhythm and feel of the performance was nice and consistent. The riffles matched your overall speed. And your doubles were clean. :)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I understand that you are new to magic (or at least new to the forums). Your handling in the second video was better. I wouldn't insert the card from the back the second time. Keep changing things around so it doesn't look like you are doing exactly the same thing each time.

As for what you are saying when you do the effect, it is awful.

1. Nobody except a magician knows what it means to control a card.

2. You imply there is a method. This makes the spectator try and look to see what you are doing and try to figure it out. The effect becomes a puzzle rather than magic. You also have the card signed to deal with "skeptics." I immediately think that I should start being more skeptical.

3. I understand if you are trying to use the "method" as a guise (like presentations of the invisible palm or other effects where the explanation of the method provides mental misdirection) but don't explain what the method is. How does merely riffling a card make it come to the top?

4. Several times you refer to what you are doing is "simple." This makes the spectator feel stupid because you are tricking them with something simple.

5. You also ask the spectator if they saw what you did. Again, you are challenging them to figure out how you are tricking them. If you encounter someone who knows anything about magic, they will start yelling out how you did things merely because you have issued a challenge.

6. Finally, you fail to answer the most important question regarding magic presentation... "Why should I care?" Why should I care if the card comes to the top of the deck? Why should I care if you can do it several different ways? If people don't care, they won't be astonished. Your patter needs to be more than "say-do-see" patter (where you say what your are going to do, do it and then tell the audience to see what happened). Your patter needs to make the effect more interesting to the audience.

7. This is a pet peeve, but what the heck does snapping have to do with a card rising to the top?

Now, everything I just said could apply to 99% of the ACRs that I've seen performed. Coming up with good patter that doesn't just narrate what you are doing and doesn't give a long and ridiculous story of how certain cards come to the top of the deck because they are ambitious isn't easy.

The best ACR's I've ever seen performed is Caleb Wiles iDeck (which is in his High Spots notes). The (tongue in cheek) premise is that he has an "computerized" deck of cards. The card not only rises to the top, but does other things that a computerized deck would do (copying, cutting & pasting, using Google, etc.).

One final tip. Rather than riffling the cards, dribble the cards ending up with the chosen card or double in your hand. Explain it as you are lifting their card through the others to the top of the deck. You also could riffle through all the cards and have the spectator turn over the top card (provided it isn't a double). This really sets up the final phase.

Let me know if you want any help coming up with some patter for your ACR.

Apr 2, 2011
Instead of creating a new thread, I want to save so I'll just ask here.

Can anyone tell me the different decks that Dan White used in the tutorial for "Card to Mouth"? Thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results