I accidentally overstocked.

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys,

Okay so when I started magic and cardistry I never really looked at the finishes of cards and how they handle. About five months ago I used my honor roll money to buy cards. I bought about 98 decks of streamline playing cards ,and maverick playing cards Which are plastic coated. I soon realized that plastic coated cards are horrible for flourishing and they are not really so good for magic. I want to start using bicycle cards ,but I am stuck with a bunch of plastic coated cards.

Is there anything that I can do to improve the quality of these cards.Would fanning powder help the plastic coated cards to work better or are they just trash.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Hey guys,

Okay so when I started magic and cardistry I never really looked at the finishes of cards and how they handle. About five months ago I used my honor roll money to buy cards. I bought about 98 decks of streamline playing cards ,and maverick playing cards Which are plastic coated. I soon realized that plastic coated cards are horrible for flourishing and they are not really so good for magic. I want to start using bicycle cards ,but I am stuck with a bunch of plastic coated cards.

Is there anything that I can do to improve the quality of these cards.Would fanning powder help the plastic coated cards to work better or are they just trash.

Dont the streamlines say they are plastic coated but they actually arent? And also I hear from some that they handle really well after breaking in

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys,

Yeah don't worry about altering the Streamlines. For their price they handle pretty well and are extremely soft when broken in. It's a great practice deck too. I'd say you never have to worry about wearing out good decks or needed duplicates for effects, just use your Streamlines.

Jun 22, 2010
Martinez, CA
Dude you should send some to me. I love plastic cards because I found that if you throw them hard enough at something they'll shatter and it looks amazing!

For some reason I don't like you..

[R.C];353276 said:
Yeah don't worry about altering the Streamlines. For their price they handle pretty well and are extremely soft when broken in. It's a great practice deck too. I'd say you never have to worry about wearing out good decks or needed duplicates for effects, just use your Streamlines.

It actually depends where they were made, in china or in the U.S. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

-Erick

P.S. I'm not serious Greenstick and could you be more specific on how they "shatter".

Nov 27, 2010
Stupidity - Buying 98 decks of the same playing cards that you've never tried out.

I clearly stated that I bought streamlines and mavericks. Last time I checked they were not the same cards. I did try them out ,but as I advanced in cardistry I found out that plastic coated cards are not good for many moves I really want to learn.

Anyway, Thanks guys! I know that streamlines would work okay now ,but what about mavericks. I thought they were good for magic at first and they were ,but they are not good for learning cardistry at all. Would fanning powder work on mavericks or would it make it worse?

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
I clearly stated that I bought streamlines and mavericks. Last time I checked they were not the same cards. I did try them out ,but as I advanced in cardistry I found out that plastic coated cards are not good for many moves I really want to learn.

Anyway, Thanks guys! I know that streamlines would work okay now ,but what about mavericks. I thought they were good for magic at first and they were ,but they are not good for learning cardistry at all. Would fanning powder work on mavericks or would it make it worse?

They still should work fine for cuts, so I would suggest using them for that. How many decks of Mavericks do you have?

Nov 27, 2010
They still should work fine for cuts, so I would suggest using them for that. How many decks of Mavericks do you have?

I have about 23 decks of mavericks left..........they are good for cuts ,but they are horrible with fanning or spreading. Should i like carry both streamline and mavericks with me when I go out to preform?

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
I have about 23 decks of mavericks left..........they are good for cuts ,but they are horrible with fanning or spreading. Should i like carry both streamline and mavericks with me when I go out to preform?

I wouldnt. No point in switching decks just so you can do a fan. I would just use them to practice cuts, TNR, and other things that they are good for or that ruin cards. Also if you really have nothing to do with em, get a big sheet of paper, glue them on, and make a poster(an uncut sheet...but cut) :D. I might do that one day if I have nothing else to do

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Yeah , i would make some "invisible deck" with some of them ... if you know how, use them for tricks that requires tearing, signing and folding, and like the other guy said, make some art with them like posters, put alternating colors on top of each other in a good looking glass jar (i did that and it looks awesome < card freak), make some gimmicks etc.

Also i don't wanna repeat what others said but i hope you learned your lesson ;)

Apr 10, 2011
It wasn't a very smart move buying 98 decks without doing some research first. It's like going out and buying a bunch of cars without going for a test drive. Anyhow, I do have another suggestion for you, why not sell some off on Ebay? There's always people buying cards on Ebay and i'm sure you could sell some of those off in no time.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Like you said, what's done is done so I'm not gonna rant on about how stupid that was. Since you seem like your not happy, try selling them and get some of your money back. Or try some non-card-friendly tricks with them. You could kill a few decks by putting them on your walls to make your room look more unique. Or you could use them. After all, you do have a nice little bundle of cards to go through with some normal usage for a while.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
LOL.

Says the one who wanted to spend over $350 at Ellusionist just for Gold Arcanes and Black Ghost decks.

Wanting is different from actually doing. I can say I want to spend 1000 dollars on Jerrys. Also, he stated that stupidity was buying that many decks that you havent tried yet. How do you know he hasnt tried Black Ghosts or Gold ARcanes? Look the OP already acknowledged that there is nothing that can reverse what he has done, and just wants help on how to solve his problem. Laughing at him and trying to attack others isnt contributing.

@Slicke what do you mean by putting alternating color cards in a glass jar? Could you show me a picture or something? Ive been looking for card related decorations for my room

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results