Diagonal palm shift

Sep 2, 2007
London
Nice work. A couple of points I noticed that you might find useful.

First, as the dirty hand comes away from the deck, there's a very definite change of pace, and loss of fluency. To my mind, the DPS should be performed as one fluid movement, or maybe as one fluid movement, a pause, then a second fluid movement.

The other point is that you chose to leave the hand palming the card in frame. I know it was just a demo video, but, to me, that indicates that you're putting too much focus on that hand. The spectator should just see a card being squared into the deck, followed by a justified action such as handing the deck out to be shuffled. In other words, the dirty hand should, apparently, perform not other action other than steadying the deck for the other hand to do the squaring and handing out, and, therefore, be intantly forgotten.

I hope that's useful!

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
While your mechanics are done very well, now its time to ask why you are doing what you are doing. Put the move into a context. Asking yourself questions on a micro level like this will determine if you can take this to the next level.
-
Why square a squared up deck?
Why are both my hands together for so long?
Why is there such a big change of speed when the sleight is being executed?
Whats the reason to hand the deck to the spectator?
Why put the card in from the front like that?
Does the spectator believe the card is lost?

There are so much questions, but start asking. A move out of context is pretty much useless. Putting a move like the DPS into a trick but not in context is worse.

-Tony C.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
very nice, don't worry about too much questions on how to do a perfect move, when i do a top change it's on a relaxation nobody's looking, don't try to do it when peoples are burning your hands, it's that simple, you can't fool a camera but you can fool people more easily

Feb 7, 2010
Thanks for great suggestions. I'm definately going to work on them. Next time I'll probably post it in a context of some trick.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Yay, DPS.
I don't do an AWESOME POSSUM DPS but I do it well enough so it goes unnoticed in performance.

Here is a sandwich routine I use utilizing 2 DPS. 1 for a steal, 1 for a control to the top.

The last "lost in the deck" part was unnecessary, but I thought it wouldn't really be fair to keep making a video to find the PERFECT one. I admit, yeah I made a mistake :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4kTB0P8Q1Q

Also came up with a handling for myself a while ago to use the DPS for a control to the top. Thought it would be worth sharing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07TlMuRzqs

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results