Street Magic Audience

Jul 29, 2010
Burbank, CA
Hey whats up t11. So two days ago, I was performing in the streets for the first time. My effects were legit and presented well, but the reason I could tell it was mediocre was because I didn't choose the right audience. It really varied on who I was performing for. Any ideas on how to read what kid of people to perform for? Leave ur comments please. Thanks.

Jun 1, 2009
What do you mean you didn't choose the right audience? It's honestly a little hard to read people on the street or restaurants all the time. I've walked to people expecting them to hate it and they loved it, and vice versa.

Jacob

Sep 11, 2010
Hey whats up t11. So two days ago, I was performing in the streets for the first time. My effects were legit and presented well, but the reason I could tell it was mediocre was because I didn't choose the right audience. It really varied on who I was performing for. Any ideas on how to read what kid of people to perform for? Leave ur comments please. Thanks.

Realize that people have other things to do than just watch magic. The have places to go, errands to run, and cannot always stay to watch magic tricks. An ideal audience is a group of people who seem to have little to do or nowhere to go. They will generally find it more entertaining than people in a hurry.

Secondly, do magic that corresponds with the the correct demographics. Most people like quick, visual magic, such as color changes or vanishes. Make sure to incorparate tricks into a routine so it is easier to follow along.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
You have to remember that not everyone likes or is entertained by magic. I've found that there can be a stigma against "magic" where it is seen as cheesy, juvenile or even condescending. Somewhere along the line that person encountered a magician or performer that turned them off to it. It all comes down to the way you present yourself and your routine. I don't even use the terms "magic" or "magic tricks" when performing. Instead I'll say something like "Can I show you something cool? I just need to borrow your imagination." I try to make it more like I'm there to share something special with them rather than trick them or make them believe that I have magical powers.

Sep 1, 2010
make sure you open with an amazing opening effect that catches there attention, so they know that you ARE a magician, not a person that looked up a magic trick off youtube and perform it the day after. i suggest open with a short and sharp effect that will get there attention, then go on to another trick that will also hit them hard! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results