Help & Guidance

I find myself in a very strange place, I have been doing magic and shows for little over 30+ years and believe it or not never once did I pick up the art of flourish with cards. Well I can do a decent revers fan to make it look like no printing and the smaller and smaller deck but thats pretty much it for my arsenal of the art itself. So what books? DVD? and the like can you fine Gents and Lady's (if any out there) can point a noob in this direction.

Thank you all in advance, God bless

James aka Magicguy of God's Players

Dec 11, 2010
California
As mentioned, I would start with Genesis v1 when stating out. You will not really find any books on flourishes but some of the best resources on flourishes you can find in the Genesis series and from dan & dave buck's website.

My question is why would you like to get into flourishes and how far are you willing to go?

I myself know the basic flourishes such as fans, one handed cuts, cuts that look fancy etc.

If you have been in magic for 30 years I am assuming that you already have a set persona and if you are willing to change that persona so it will fit flourishes then go ahead.

Anyways, I would start off with genesis v1. If you like what is in it go into trilogy by the bucks and genesis v2.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Genesis V1 would work for beginners, but I wouldnt get V2 before you know your "style" Genesis v2 has a lot of more.......architectural? things. IE Triangles, squares, balancing packets into a display. I prefer two handed cuts that flow well like things .TheCuso does and D&D do, so in my case I would get something like Papercuts over Genesis V2

Okay I picked up Genesis 1 from my local favorite shop Denny and Lee's Magic shop (fyi support your local shop please no matter the saving you think you get on line once your local shop is gone its gone and you loose more than saving a few $$) I have a quick little question about cards to use. Currently using the sentential first pack got them for my 51st first birthday. Is there 1 special cards I should be using, 2 a special way to preparing of the cards before learning these moves. I did notice his were just slightly bowed upward. 3 should I go to my local shop and get fanning cards do to there thinness and start learning off of those first. Oh on a side note my wife who is a nurse was watching this video and said most of these moves would be fantastic exerciser for anyone that suffers from arthritis in their hands or stiffing of the joints from the start their off and I admit old Arthur is starting to creep into my joints (stinks getting old stay young as long as you can guy fight old age fight fight fight!)

God Bless each of you as you travel through life.

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
1 - The type of cards you use
2 - The way the cards should be
3 - Fanning cards

For card flourishing, the type of cards you use isn't a specific one. You use what you feel best in your hands. The thing is, throughout your journey, your cards won't last too much (1 week or so), so I suggest you go for Bicycle cards - or if you can find Tally Ho cards (these - from my point of view - are better). This is like magic in a way - you use a simple, not so incredible deck for training - and an eye catcher for performance.

2 - The cards should be broken in. That bow helps a lot in most of the cards flourishes that are out there. Use it to your advantage and you will see.

3 - Fanning cards ? Better off saying fanning powder. It depends, if you want to go with armspreads and fans, you should get it. It is something unique for everyone, people have different opinions and different preferences. I for one don't use it, but I suggest you try it.

I hope this helped. Cheers.

-Spk

Thank you that answers some of those tiny question popping in the back of my mind. So far its the first one charlie cut which I always thought was called the one handed cut I seem pretty decent out so far, no nothing like the video mind you but I think it helped when I first learned it by watching of all things the 6 million dollar man. I see everyone scratching their heads, see when that show originally aired they did episode where he had to learn magic to go undercover Mark Wilson was his magic-teacher in the begging taught him that basic move, and as everything they do on that show when he is supposable moving faster than the eye can see they do it actually in slow motion thus a kid I think I was about 13 or so learned the cut, wore out a our beta machine playing that tape alot, yea beta and then I took our dinosaur for a walk lol:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results