Prom?

Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys, it's that time of year again. Prom is almost here and I was wondering if y'all have had any experience in using magic to ask the question? I do mainly card magic and would love to hear yalls thoughts!
Thanks!

Sep 1, 2010
what do you mean "if y'all have had any experience in using magic to ask the question?" :)

i'd love to help :)

Oct 28, 2008
Honestly, although it would be cool, don't do it. Be up front with it.

I mean I could be up front but just asking her do you want to go to prom is kind of bland. I wanted to add something that no one else does to make the experience something unique, you know? It's all about creativity

Hey guys, it's that time of year again. Prom is almost here and I was wondering if y'all have had any experience in using magic to ask the question? I do mainly card magic and would love to hear yalls thoughts!
Thanks!

Every year a post like this goes up, and every year it garners the same three responses.

1. helpful supportive
2. helpful anti-supportive
3. someone to flame the first two for their opinions, and then remind them that this has been done before.

So I think I'll just cut bait and get to the point....

If you want to do something like this then Kevin James floating rose, paper roses, french kiss, or other romanticly themed effects could be the way to go, HOWEVER...

I think personally using magic for this purpose is incredibly tacky, and should be left to staged performances, not interpersonal communication techniques. This is a special time in your life, and one you may be thankful you didn't bring a deck of cards on. Try the old fashioned way, cards, roses, candy, and manning up to the task. Trust me it takes more balls to just out right ask a girl to the dance than it does to overcompensate for the lack of them by hiding the question within the format of a card trick.

On a related note: I've asked a female co-worker and actress what her opinion on the matter is. What would she prefer, and she also advises that from a womans point of view it's better to just ask her out, and save the card tricks for later.

There... All three replies rolled up into one neat little box with a bow. Who loves you best?!

Oct 28, 2008
Every year a post like this goes up, and every year it garners the same three responses.

1. helpful supportive
2. helpful anti-supportive
3. someone to flame the first two for their opinions, and then remind them that this has been done before.

So I think I'll just cut bait and get to the point....

If you want to do something like this then Kevin James floating rose, paper roses,

I think personally using magic for this purpose is incredibly tacky, and should be left to staged performances, not interpersonal communication techniques. This is a special time in your life, and one you may be thankful you didn't bring a deck of cards on. Try the old fashioned way, cards, roses, candy, and manning up to the task. Trust me it takes more balls to just out right ask a girl to the dance than it does to overcompensate for the lack of them by hiding the question within the format of a card trick.

On a related note: I've asked a female co-worker and actress what her opinion on the matter is. What would she prefer, and she also advises that from a womans point of view it's better to just ask her out, and save the card tricks for later.

There... All three replies rolled up into one neat little box with a bow. Who loves you best?!

Haha thanks man! And yes apparently you love me the best ha. If I don't do magic though I want to do it up big rather than just a casual will you go to prom, you understand right? But I agree with you, I probably shouldn't use tricks.

Feb 7, 2011
If i read this yesterday I would have replied saying FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO IT!!!! However, I just read a thread about these forums and how they usually just spiral into ego battles. So I will silence my opinion on the matter, because you did not ask my opinion, and I will give you my suggestion for a trick that might work. A video posted in the media section this year for valentines day, change the pictures to suit your situation. Badda bing. On a side note, I really like Patrick Kuns work, it's a great channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3XV8M0RZA

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Most people on here are going to tell you not to do it! They did the same to me bud lol. My prom is tomorrow night, and I am going dateless. I was going to go with my girlfriend, but I broke up with her about two months ago. She had just ASSUMED we were going to prom together and went out and bought her dress and everything without asking me. So, I didn't even get to ask her to prom. I had been talking to another girl, and asked her to prom. She said yes, was super excited about it, and then backed out a week ago because of her douche ex boyfriend. Anyways, back to the point - When I asked her, I didn't do anything super special, we were just hanging out and I told her she was an amazing girl and I think it would be awesome if she was my prom date. I didn't use any magic and to be honest, it felt good to just be a man and come out and ask her!

Feb 7, 2011
Most people on here are going to tell you not to do it! They did the same to me bud lol. My prom is tomorrow night, and I am going dateless. I was going to go with my girlfriend, but I broke up with her about two months ago. She had just ASSUMED we were going to prom together and went out and bought her dress and everything without asking me. So, I didn't even get to ask her to prom. I had been talking to another girl, and asked her to prom. She said yes, was super excited about it, and then backed out a week ago because of her douche ex boyfriend. Anyways, back to the point - When I asked her, I didn't do anything super special, we were just hanging out and I told her she was an amazing girl and I think it would be awesome if she was my prom date. I didn't use any magic and to be honest, it felt good to just be a man and come out and ask her!

The moral of this story is, if you be yourself and ask from the heart, she will say yes then stand you up. Awesome.

Im only joking with you man.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i will say leave the magic out and try something romantic.

but if you want to do magic here is my advice, Paper rose with flash paper to real rose. Or Fluffer Deck. Big big recommendation on Fluffer Deck. It does wonders.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results