Hecklers.

Apr 14, 2011
Today I was performing during my seventh period I was performing some effects and I had a crowd of about twenty people. It was going great, and even the teacher was watching. I performed SMOKE, an ACR and was finishing with a trick of my own creation. Some kid says, "I know how you're doing that, I've seen it before!" I simply replied that I made this one up and that he could inspect the deck at the end. This chick told him to shut up and I thought it was kinda funny and continued. The kid only watched my hands the whole time for two more tricks. He NEVER caught anything, but it sort of pissed me off because he kept on saying stupid crap. I told him to shut up or I'd stop. Another girl told him to, "STFU." :p I finished up and everyone was totally in awe, except for him.

Anyways, what would you've done?

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
Honestly I would have ignored him and continued performing - he wants attention, don't give it to him and let the spectators shut him up. Also, another scenario you could have done is put him on the spot by saying, "OK, how about you give it a try and entertain the 20+ crowd here!", yes it may be harsh, but it embarrasses him and also shows that it takes skill and confidence to perform.

Sep 1, 2010
never reply to a heckler, don't even say shut up or anything. if he is bothering you, just stop. and explain to them, "if you wanna see more, just come to me and i'd love to perform more" something kind, so yeah ignore the dude. look up "alan rorrison try honesty" on youtube and he can give you heaps of info about magic and hecker problems

hope this helped! :D

Jan 11, 2011
i think you reacted correctly. just stop performing if someone is heckling you. the other people will ask the heckler to shut up if they really enjoy your stuff. :D good luck.

One of my favorite things to do is 1 invite them to be a part of the act then make a fool out of them mind you this is my least favorite option I save this for the really annoying hecklers. Normally I say Oh look they want to perform so lets all stop and watch them and I will have everyone stop and star at them amazing how uncomfortable they tend to get and just let you go one and nary say a word after that. Now this works for my stage show. as to Close up I have experience this maybe twice in my life your options are 1 ignore 2 ask them uh oh so sure are you willing to stake your life on it are you , most people wont take that bet well sane ones one" 3 see #1 4 and this is most important never curse or react back in a negative way to them you had someone in your group stand up for you great ask everyone to give them a round of applause thus showing reward for being a good audience member. And once your done hand the deck to him and say okay Doug Henning impress us. But thats how I would handle it there others ways that have worked for me over the years but for most part and I know I am long winded here IGNORE & NEVER CURSE THEM OR STUP TO THEIR LEVEL.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Sometimes you gotta stand up for yourself and let a person like that know that you won't take crap from them. Sometimes they will cause them to actually shut up and other times it won't. But in the long run, you need to let those types of people know that you aren't weak and that you are in control, not them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results