My "first time" :)

May 9, 2011
Hey guys...

So, today I tried to do street magic for a first time... I was walking around town with my friend and there were a lot of people, but I performed just for one group of 3 girls, I didnt have courage to ask other groups before or after that one... I did good performance for those girls but, I was walking for an hour and half and had courage to ask just one group for their time...

So is that too bad or what?

Please tell me what so you think etc...

Thank you

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's not bad, it's natural. A lot of people find it hard to approach people to show them magic. Be persistent and it will get easier over time, as you start to reap the benefits and enjoy it you will wonder why you was ever afraid!

My only advice is not to be affected by set backs. Some people wont have time for you, some people wont like magic and others just wont care. Go in guns blazing and don't take no for an answer, even if people say no thank you say it wont cost anything and only take a moment on their time. As long as your magic is good they are usually pleasantly surprised.

May 9, 2011
Thank you...

Any advices on doing it later?

And, should I always be with some of my friends or I can go alone?

what tricks did you do ?

Well, I did classic, I did Chicago Opener, ACR etc... Just 4 tricks... I didnt want to take them like too much of their time, I think 5-10minutes is more then enough, right?

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
Thank you...

Any advices on doing it later?

And, should I always be with some of my friends or I can go alone?

Well, I did classic, I did Chicago Opener, ACR etc... Just 4 tricks... I didnt want to take them like too much of their time, I think 5-10minutes is more then enough, right?

those are great classics , i use them everytime, i suggest to you the professor nightmare and the d lite are great too, may be rubberband classics and two cards transpo (Wayne Houchin's frenck kiss) andthat's enough to start
good job

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Awesome! I love to hear about people going out and doing magic for real people. I think your choice in tricks are really great, just be sure to mix it up a little. Don't just do card tricks, do some coin, rubberband, even throw in a little rope. The more familiar the audience is with the item, the stronger the magic is.

But other than that little thing, I think you did great! Perform for people whenever you get the chance. You learn from every experience, good or bad and you only get better at performing if you do it often. Keep it up. :)

Nov 27, 2009
I worked at at theme park doing street magic for a summer. At first it was a little nerve racking walking up to random people and showing them a few tricks. My show took on more of a busking format, but this is beside the point. I eventually got used to performing for random people. I now find it extremely easy to walk up to a group of people and show them stuff.

I usually introduce myself with "Would you like to see something interesting?" This rarely gets turned down, and I don't instantly get stereotyped as a "kids show performer," not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems like most of the time people think that magic is a kids thing, and while this is true, it can also be something for older audiences. Plus, I'm a card guy and cards don't work well with kids, or vice-versa.

Also, I try to approach people who are meandering about, or who don't look like they have anything in particular to do. In other words, people who seem like they're just out to have fun. This increases your chances of being able to perform, and increases their chance of enjoying your show.

I recently did a quick little street show for some teenagers at a local beach. This was risky because there was a police officer standing right there and I don't know what our town's laws are about street performing. I didn't ask for money, and the officer didn't come talk to me, so all was good there. Anyway, I only had cards with me, so I started with the Biddle Trick, went into 2 Card Monte, and closed with Las Vagas Leapers. I left the small crowd completely stunned and later saw one of them telling someone else about the show.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, but I'll leave that last paragraph as an example of a good street show, I guess.

You asked if you should always go with friends. I would. I don't want to be alone when someone decides they really don't like me. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but it's always possible. Plus, I think most things are more fun with friends.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results