Is this a bad idea?

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts on a little situation that i'm in are. I perform a lot of magic for my friends. One of my friends in particular has seen me perform the most. And because of watching me she's gained somewhat of an interest in watching magic. We've watched lots of videos of other magicians performing online and she's even shown some of them to her friends. From this she developed a mini obsession with Dan Sperry. I even got her one of Dan's hoodie's which she wears all of the time and some other stuffs and a deck of cards for her birthday. That being said I planned to go to the city with her this week and I decided that I would stop off at Tannen's the day before to pick up a few things. But the other day we got into a conversation about how they make cards that semi look like Gambit's from X-Men. She instantly wanted a pack of them. And now she wants me to wait to go to Tannen's until the day that we go into the city together so that she can buy a deck and experience the store. Now my question is this. Would it be wrong of me to bring her into a magic shop when she has no real interest in learning magic but rather watching it be performed and in picking up a deck of cards? I want to bring her but something about it seems weird. Like stepping foot in a magic shop would make magic seem a little more consumer and not so much magical. Any thoughts would be appreciated as always.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
This is my OPINIONATED advice:

Take her there but don't force anything. Let her enjoy the stuff and do what she wants. If she wants to go let her, that means she wants to experience it. If you don't want to take her there that is okay too. It is awesome that you got her to really enjoy magic as a performance art. And WHO HASN'T DEVELOPED AN OBSESSION FOR DAN SPERRY. Hell, "Hypothetically" I snuck into a show and then snuck back stage to meet him and he was really cool. He seemed high though. But he was REALLY cool and his wife was tending to his HUGE ass bird… Oh crap that came out so wrong. I mean he does dove work and he has a really tall parrot like bird that he produces as his finale. :p

May 7, 2009
I am a regular costumer at Tannens and I have brought laymen in there. My cousin, who is very much into magic, went there with me and had a blast. Sometimes i like it when someone brings in a laymen, because you can perform for them, while the other magicians watch as well. Tannens for me is a place to have fun and hang out and if you have fun with the laymen, i dont see any problem with it.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York

Take her there but don't force anything. Let her enjoy the stuff and do what she wants. If she wants to go let her, that means she wants to experience it. If you don't want to take her there that is okay too. It is awesome that you got her to really enjoy magic as a performance art. And WHO HASN'T DEVELOPED AN OBSESSION FOR DAN SPERRY. Hell, "Hypothetically" I snuck into a show and then snuck back stage to meet him and he was really cool. He seemed high though. But he was REALLY cool and his wife was tending to his HUGE ass bird… Oh crap that came out so wrong. I mean he does dove work and he has a really tall parrot like bird that he produces as his finale. :p

Alright lets get this crazy long response under way. So I ended up taking her to the shop with me. And it turned out to be a lot of fun. At first she was a little shy. But after talking to the guys working that day and a lot of joking around she was right at home. I told them that I was working with her on a few things they started to show us stuff that would be fun for either of us to learn. And there were even a few points when I had to go to the side and shop for some secret stuff and had to leave her to herself and the other two guys working there. But she didn't mind at all. She was busy shopping for herself. In fact she spent $52.00 on decks of cards. (Pretty weird huh?) We were in the shop for about five hours. We would have stayed longer but her leg started to hurt from her shoes. She even said that she would have wanted to go to one of the lectures that they had coming up with me had we not already had a previous engagement that would require a lot of funds. Heck for a few minutes we even thought about not going to the other thing to go to the lecture instead. She even wants to go back to get a few more decks and shop around more. And she even learned one of magics fun side effects at times. She spent most of the money that she brought with her for food at the shop and we ended up going for pizza after we left the shop. Seeing her choose maic over a full meal almost brought a tear to my eye. She even spent the time waiting for and on the train busting open her new decks and trying to fan them in different ways, talking, and asking about different magic stuff. It was a pretty awesome feeling. The fact that seeing me perform made such an impact that she decided to look into magic. And that really set something off in me. It gave me this desire to try harder and to be better. But before I go off on a crazy long thing about that i'll stop here about that. Cool little fact though. I saw the pic that JB posted today on facebook and I thought that she would get a kick out of it. So I went back to it to copy a link to show her. Yeah I didnt have to cause she's already a fan of T11 on fb and already "liked" it. Guess you all will be hearing from her on the forums in the near future.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
And WHO HASN'T DEVELOPED AN OBSESSION FOR DAN SPERRY. Hell, "Hypothetically" I snuck into a show and then snuck back stage to meet him and he was really cool. He seemed high though. But he was REALLY cool and his wife was tending to his HUGE ass bird… Oh crap that came out so wrong. I mean he does dove work and he has a really tall parrot like bird that he produces as his finale. :p

This deserves it's own reply. Yeah Dan really is a super nice guy. He was even cool enough to sign a poster for her for her b-day. And you and that story are officially "Hypothetically" awesome. =P But yeah about his bird Spike. He really is a huge "BIRD". I almost bought a bird just like that once. It was only a few weeks old and i'm pretty sure that I could have it fly me to class if I wanted to.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results