DVD Review- Sean Scott's Render

Apr 7, 2009
So i saw a lot of people are asking about this trick, so i decided to write up a quick review, since i received this DVD last week.

Price: 34:95 at Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13294

Effect:

Use your smartphone/media player to bring photos, videos & applications into the REAL world. 2D interactively changes to 3D, all on top of your device's screen. SEE THE VIDEO!

Features:

•Produce 3-D souvenirs from digital images. Flowers, origami, playing cards, candy and coins are only a few possibilities.
•Interactively vanish and morph objects.
•Use borrowed objects.
•Device and hands may be shown clean before the effect.
•Imagination is the only limit. Use your own objects, videos, photos & applications.
•Additional media content available.
•Receive updates and bonus material.
RENDER is a special device for your phone. It is included along with the RENDER DVD, which will give you complete step by step instruction.

demo: OK, so now doubt the demo looks good. i was very impressed from the demo, so i bought the trick. Right off the bat, i can say it does not look as good as it does in real life than in the demo.

My first reactions:

When i first learnt the method, i was like how the hell does this thing accomplish that impossible appearance? Then i realized how it worked, and i wasn't too impressed.

The " Gimmick ":

It says you receive a gimmick with the DVD, but that statement is a joke. What you receive is a meagre amount of material used to create the gimmick. You will need to head out and get some other materials to do all the effects on the DVD, or you might have it at home already. I was very disappointed, because it says on the advertisement that " Render is a device for your phone", and you will be very suprised by what you get in the package. And its not a good suprise. Many of you will already have the material supplied with the DVD at home already.

Oh by the way, you need to purchase the additional media content used in the tricks shown in the trick demo. I was quite angry with this, as it does not say anywhere on the DVD advertisement that you will need to purchase additional media content, most buyers, as did I, assumed that it would come with the DVD.

To hide the gimmick, you will need a case. Otherwise, it will become EXTREMELY annoying for your everyday phone use, since the gimmick is attached to your phone.

Due to the way the gimmick is used, it will wear out in a while, and due to finger drime and dust,dirt, you will need to replace it often.

Angles: The best angle to perform this trick is looking down at the phone, like in the video demo. You can show the back of the phone but not in a very clean way. No one can be under you, but no one will probably be under you anyways. Someone standing at the sides can catch a glimpse of the production of the item.

Lighting:

Its mainly to due with your phone lighting, as your phone will need to be set on a fairly high brightness level. For example, with the iphone, Sean recommends you to adjust it to aroud 3/4 brightness level, which is higher than most of my friend's phone's brightness, they usually like it around halfway brightness.

Just to let everyone know, your phone needs to be on to the production. You can't just produce coins out of your blank screen.

Sean says the gimmick is invisible when your phone is on, but from a certain angle it is slightly visible.

Production of items:

The object you wish to produce needs a little bit of weight.

I hate the coin production, as i hate the sickening noise of a " producing " a coin from your phone screen. You can hear the scratches being carved into your phone.

Do you know why the trailer was filmed in sound? it's because there is a noise when you produce the item, a noise that is very hard to cover up. It is very loud, but hopefully laypeople will think the noise is the object magically " materializing " from the screen.

Sean also very briefly covers how you can do a signed card to phone, and produce it.

Dvd production:

The quality was alright, no problems here. He describes how to make the gimmick for two different types of phones, and he also teaches different handlings, and how to produce different items, and how to adjust the gimmick to allow for different items.

Phone versatility:
One of the few good things about this trick is that you can do it with many different types of phones. As long as the device can be held in one hand, and your screen background is quite " busy". When i say busy, your phone home screen should preferably be a background with textures and patterns, if you have this DVD, you will see why. I phone and Ipod touchs will work good because the row of apps hides the gimmick very well.

Conclusion: This DVD was quite disappointing. I expected to receive a device or a gimmick i could use with my phone out of the DVD. Instead, you receive a little supply of one of the materials used to make the gimmick. You probably will need to go out and purchase other materials. The material included in the DVD is quite common, and many people will have it in their house. If you don't, it will be easy to find at office supply stores.

Also, i was very disappointed by the lack of media content, you will have to purchase the extra media content from Sean scott's website.

This trick may suit your casual performances, but it will get in the way of your normal day to day phone activity if you don't like wearing a case around your phone.

I give this a 4.5/10, it was quite disappointing. However, if you like what you see, and would like to devote an old phone or something to his effect, it might be for you. It wasn't for me though.

Peace,

Chrisbo

Apr 7, 2009
Hi folks, bumping this thread with some important information:

I have recently reviewed all the add-on downloads for Sean Scott's render. In case you didn't know, Sean has solved all previous problems to do with media content and such, and now the origami video and flower videos, as well as extra videos on tips and new gimmmicks has been released for all who have purchased Render.

The extra content consists of how to fix:
. Lighting issues
. Sound issues
. A more " streamlined " gimmick for better production
. and more problems

For extra media content, you get:

. The origami video
. The flower patern video
. The sliding coin video

However, the Real gem of these add ons was the idea of the original Render gimmick. Sean said that the current method of Render was chosen over this method due to practical reasons, but i heartily disagree. i think this is twice is good!

A bit more arts and crafts is involved, but it is worth it. With this gimmick, it allows for:

A cleaner, more visual production
The hand may be holding the bottom of the phone
THe item can freely slide around
The item may be dumped into the hand

This method is no doubt better, in my opinion.

Also, several material items are needed for the construction of this " old " gimmick. Sean has sent all Render users a supply of this gimmick material to ALL render users, for free of charge! I live overseas to America, and Sean gladly paid the shipping fee! Hows that for customer service? Couldn't be better!

Sean has turned a corner and his current customer service couldn't be better! The new method for Render, as well as the tips, and additional media content deserves a mighty raise of my previous score.

Render deserves a 7.5/10,

Now i consider This work of " art " in my repertoire for performing casual, modern magic. Bravo Sean!

Chrisbo

Apr 7, 2009
All the DVD's are the same. If you buy a DVD, you get a code which allows you to sign up on Sean Scott's website and download the new content for free

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results