Classic Pass Question

Jun 9, 2011
I'm just a bit new to card magic....About how long did it take for you to semi-master the classic pass? I can do it, but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping it invisible or doing it really fast. /:

Jan 20, 2009
California
Alot of people think the pass has to be done fast and this is not true
it can be done slow and invisible. i dont know what parts you are flashing on
but im guessing it is the top and bottom if so this can be completly coverd
buy using whats called the dip. i have been doing it for 17yr. it took me about 6 months
to really master it only because i was obsessed with the practicing the move.

Apr 12, 2011
I've been working on the move for a few years now, and I can vouch that I still do not have it down. But here's what you should know... The pass is literally the WORST method for controlling a card because of how it is situated. I only use the pass for a few things, but never a control. Keep in mind that each solution to a problem with the pass poses another problem to be fixed.

Apr 12, 2011
As far as your speed and invisibility on the move, take out maybe a deck and a half or 2 decks and just start passing them. This will build your muscles and get you to find where your fingers need to be to get it going faster. When you switch back to 1 deck, your pass will be much faster. I do this at least once a day.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Depending on the context in which you use the pass, an invisible one may not even be necessary.

Since the move takes less than a second, a bit of misdirection coupled with a justifiable reason why your hands should come together should be enough.

Nov 27, 2009
Here's my very opinionated opinion. For a beginner, the pass is a bad idea. I did magic for almost 3 years without it and was just fine. Aaron Fisher has a video in his Card Magic Minute series on Youtube that convinced me that the overhand shuffle control is one of the best controls out there. I still use the pass regularly because I don't like shuffling the deck a lot, and with the way I perform the pass just works. For a beginner though, the pass is a lot to deal with.

People used to say that the pass was the the most important sleight in card magic, and for a while, it was, because that was the main method of controlling a card. Then we started using things like the overhand shuffle control and other sleights to control cards, and while the pass is still extremely important, it's not quite as important as it used to be. Jean Hugard, at the beginning of the chapter on the pass says this. (The pass is covered in chapter 12, after talking about the overhand shuffle control twice, the hindu shuffle control, and various other sleights.)
We have shown in the preceding pages that the pass is not absolutely essential to card conjuring and that any trick can be performed without using it. Any intelligent person who really has the urge to perform good tricks with cards, and to do just that in the shortest possible time and with the simplest possible methods, has been shown how it can be done. The methods which have been given are simple, but always in conjuring the simplest methods are the most effective. By mastering the simple, natural ways of making all necessary moves which we have given you, you will have made great progress in a surprisingly short time.

These are just a few things to consider. I hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results