How do I introduce a Gimmicked deck?

May 29, 2011
Atlantic City NJ
I'm very new to magic and i for the most part like to use Bicycle Shadow Masters in my street performances, But I also love to use "The Shark" off of Magic Geek which uses a regular blue back deck of cards. does anyone have an idea on how to introduce this deck so i can use it?

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
First of all, Welcome to the forums! :) Hopefully you'll enjoy it here and get some useful advice as well as give some.

Well, you could just switch decks without making a big deal out of it. Or you could switch to the blue bikes while saying that you value the Shadow Masters more and you like to use bikes for some of your more "card-endangering" tricks.

My opinion, you would have to switch to regular blue bikes instead of shadow masters. Start off with a trick using the regular deck that way it is shown completely normal, after the first trick, swap the deck for the gimmicked bikes. Depending on your routine, you would have to find a way to quickly swap the deck unnoticed.

Aug 17, 2010
Use a regular blue back deck. Put them in your pocket to do a trick or two with different props (coins, business cards, something) take out the gaff deck as though it's the same deck.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I usually take out all the deck i have, gimmicked and un-gimmicked and ask them to touch one. If they touch the regular deck, i just proceed to do one of my card tricks ... if they touch the gimmicked one, i tell them "well, you could've picked any of the other deck", and i proceed with the effect the deck has to offer ...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I usually take out all the deck i have, gimmicked and un-gimmicked and ask them to touch one. If they touch the regular deck, i just proceed to do one of my card tricks ... if they touch the gimmicked one, i tell them "well, you could've picked any of the other deck", and i proceed with the effect the deck has to offer ...

A choice implies a difference. From the spectators point of view there should be no difference. If the decks are supposed to be the same in the spectator's mind, why choose one?

I use 2 normal decks, but I wreck one of them (as in I get cards signed and give them out at the end of the trick), so I use the full deck to do a few tricks, then I do something completely different like spoon bending or pressure so I can get rid of the deck. I then take out the ruined deck and do my signed routine with it.

No one ever says anything because it is a structured routine, they just go with the flow of it :)

Simon_Magic

Nov 8, 2007
You need to do a deck switch so that they think the gimmicked deck introduced is the same deck that was used previously in other effects that they were handling, shuffling, etc. If you like to use Shadow Masters, then you need to accept that any new deck introduced that doesn't look the same will be scrutinized. I'd suggest letting go of the style the Shadow Masters provide and instead focus on what you can do to make the magic you're performing the most deceptive. In this case, it's making the audience belive the gimmicked deck is the same regular deck you used previously.

As far as a deck switch goes, the easiest thing to do is do some effects with your regular deck, then put the cards away and do something else. Then take your gimmicked deck out to show them "one more things with cards."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results